corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Tomorrow I shall buy surround sound.....

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Tomorrow I shall buy surround sound.....
Jamie Walby

User status: Offline
13th Nov 06 at 09:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

...... I however will not be buying an AV Receiver this month. So what I would like to know is, if I buy surround sound tomorrow, will I be able to use it with an AV receiver at a later date?

I dont really know what brands are renowned for good quality gear either so if anyone could make some recommendations I would be very grateful.

Thanks.
Cybermonkey

13th Nov 06 at 09:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

depends on the unit you are looking at jamie. may i suggest you look at http://www.energy-speakers.com/v2/
Cybermonkey

13th Nov 06 at 09:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

check out the C series, they are INCREDIBLE
drunkenfool

13th Nov 06 at 09:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You need something to power the speakers, obviously, if you are looking at an all in one system then chances are it won't be the best quality. If you are planning on getting an amp at a later date then if i were you I'd get the speakers now and get the amp when you can afford it (or just wait a bit and get it all at once ) What sort of budget do you have? Are you thinking about floorstanders or satellites and sub?
Jamie Walby

13th Nov 06 at 09:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I would like to buy something that will work as a stand alone system for the time being but will enable me to wire it upto an AV receiver next month.

If there is such a product
Jamie Walby

13th Nov 06 at 09:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by drunkenfool
You need something to power the speakers, obviously, if you are looking at an all in one system then chances are it won't be the best quality. If you are planning on getting an amp at a later date then if i were you I'd get the speakers now and get the amp when you can afford it (or just wait a bit and get it all at once ) What sort of budget do you have? Are you thinking about floorstanders or satellites and sub?

I dont really have a budget as such. I see what you are saying though!

I think I would prefer satellites tbh as floor space in my room is at a premium
abdus

13th Nov 06 at 09:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

an excellent all in one:

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/1974

but as drunkenfool said, buying them separately will make a difference (depending on your budget)
Jamie Walby

13th Nov 06 at 09:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was just looking at that one Abdus.

Thinking about it, I might buy it all seperately. If I buy some speakers tomorrow I can use them with my Hi-Fi untill I buy an AV receiver as speakers on Hi-Fi have gone.

So lets start again!!!

How many speakers will I need? What are good quality? Ill need a sub too eventually, are these available seperately too?

Thanks.
abdus

13th Nov 06 at 09:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes subs are available separately
Speakers can be added depending on your AV receiver
1 centre, 2 front surround, 2 rear surround and 1 additional 6th centre rear one.
Some movies come as 6.1 and I can assure you it does make a difference from a 5.1

As to what good speakers are:

it depends on many things, start with design first because it all goes down to taste for start.
Cybermonkey

13th Nov 06 at 09:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have a Logitech Z5500 system, and the sub was powerful enough to wipe out my second hard drive
Cybermonkey

13th Nov 06 at 09:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

" At 90am I was woken up with a rather loud knocking at my suite's front door. Opening the door revealed the building's property manager handing me a noise violation complaint that was filed and the manager's office by my next door neighbor. This would sound perfectly right seeing I was easily hitting 130+dB when testing the system at higher volume levels but there is one interesting thing I have to inform you about my neighbor...........

She is completely deaf........No joke, she can't hear a thing. Nadda...Zilch....

What I guess caused her to file the complaint is that I cleared 13 pictures off of the adjacent wall where our two suites attach. And yes, that wall was the same wall where the subwoofer was placed. From what I was told, I vibrated that wall so badly that almost all of her paintings, photos, trinkets or whatever vibrated and fell down.

So what's the moral of the story? This system is so loud it will piss even deaf people off......."
Jamie Walby

13th Nov 06 at 09:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2 things.

1. Thats a great story.
2. That Logitech system looks sweet!!
Jamie Walby

13th Nov 06 at 10:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by abdus
yes subs are available separately
Speakers can be added depending on your AV receiver
1 centre, 2 front surround, 2 rear surround and 1 additional 6th centre rear one.
Some movies come as 6.1 and I can assure you it does make a difference from a 5.1

As to what good speakers are:

it depends on many things, start with design first because it all goes down to taste for start.

Design wise, I like the look of what Cybermonkey just posted about.
Jamie Walby

13th Nov 06 at 10:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From a website regarding Logitech Z5500.

Built-in hardware decoding for Dolby® Digital & DTS® - the only way to get true 5.1 digital sound from PlayStation® 2, Xbox®, and most DVD players

6 channel direct input can be used as 3 separate stereo inputs

Wireless remote control: great for use with home theatres and video game consoles

Connect to multiple sources: simultaneously connect 6 audio sources including PCs, video game consoles, and DVD, CD & portable music players

Those all appeal to me buuuuut;

Windows® or Macintosh®

PC Multimedia Home Theatre Speaker System

The way im reading it is can be used with a TV if you can use it witha DVD player/Playstation & Xbox.
abdus

13th Nov 06 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

buy a bose then

I think you need a budget to start with, what you would be using it for, real home cinema surround or just surround.

and don't forget, loud isn't always good . you would be better off with a less max output power but better sound quality.

[Edited on 13-11-2006 by abdus]
abdus

13th Nov 06 at 10:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the Denon is much better

7.1 decoder, DTS-ES (matrix and discrete), DTS Neo:6, DTS 96/24. Try these and you will know what difference they make

--Dave-- has the Denon, ask him about its quality

[Edited on 13-11-2006 by abdus]
Cybermonkey

13th Nov 06 at 10:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jamie, the Logitech unit has both coaxial and fibre-optical input, which will sort out any connectivity with practically anything that has those outputs.
Cybermonkey

13th Nov 06 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and to the comment above, the sound quality is absolutely immense, it feels like i just smoked a kilo of crack when i listen to Star Wars in full 96 DTS and THX. thats the thing, these babies are fully DTX certified. George Lucas wipes his ass over this stuff for authenticity
Jamie Walby

13th Nov 06 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TBH budget wise I would say the Denon is over what id be looking to spend, though am I correct in thinkng it has a DVD player too?

Lets say £250 budget, though I dont want a DVD player at the moment as I have decided to spend xmas money on that
Cybermonkey

13th Nov 06 at 10:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

$250 will sort you out the Z5500 Jamie, and now you can get a wireless version called the Z5450, but its not as good as the 5500

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/AU/EN,CRID=2177,CONTENTID=10928
Jamie Walby

13th Nov 06 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wireless sounds cool. In what way is it not as good as the 5500? Sounds quality not as good? WOuld wireless create problems in the reliability in terms of losing connection?
abdus

13th Nov 06 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No Dolby EX or DTS ES...
Cybermonkey

13th Nov 06 at 10:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it only has an 8" sub and doesnt look as neat. its basically the same spec but less power

# Surround sound effects:

* Hardware decoding for Dolby® Digital, DTS® and DTS® 96/24 soundtracks
* Dolby® Pro Logic® II (Movie and Music modes)
* 6-channel direct
* Stereo
abdus

13th Nov 06 at 10:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you really want to know what difference then Buy Ice Age 1 and then buy Ice Age 1 Extreme Cool Edition. Listen to both and then see th difference

The 1st is DTS 5.1 and the Extreme Cool one is DTS 6.1.

Jamie Walby

13th Nov 06 at 10:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Where can I buy one from, Id ideally like to go and buy it tomorrow from a shop. Is it something currys/comet would do?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll