corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » IT People (user accounts)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author IT People (user accounts)
Bart

User status: Offline
31st Jul 06 at 07:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a user account on xp pro which has a password set.
IVe shared a folder which i want access to on the network, but i dont want everyone to access it.

How can i set this up? i assumed when ever anyone tried to access that pc (legitimatly) it would prompt for that password, but it appears not.

Adam
luciaadr

31st Jul 06 at 09:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When people log onto your computer, they log in under "guest." Change the password to this account ( control userpasswords2) and they will have to type in this password IIRC.

Plus, you can turn off "simple file sharing" in pro, but i dont know how to use it. It can allow some users but block others.
Bart

31st Jul 06 at 10:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmm.. are you sure?
guest account is turned off
liveseytowers

31st Jul 06 at 11:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Turn off simple file sharing (tools, folder options, view, and untick "use simple file sharing" at the bottom).

Then right click on the folder you want to share and click properties. Then click on the share tab and share the folder. Then click on the security tab and remove the EVERYONE group and all the others that you dont want to give access too. Then you should be able to add the users that you want to have access to that folder.

That should be sorted then
Bart

31st Jul 06 at 11:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

gah, its Xp Home.

It doesnt have those features
luciaadr

31st Jul 06 at 12:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can you actually disable guest account? I know you can stop it showing on the logon screen but its still there isnt it?

A password can be set making access to any shared folders on your computer, even on xp home, requires the password. I just tried it again.

The only way this helps is if you tell some people the password and not others though obviously.

Or, try this:

http://www.wikihow.com/Disable-Simple-File-Sharing-in-Windows-Xp-Home-Edition

:edit: or this, hope you can read it, http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_21046791.html

[Edited on 31-07-2006 by luciaadr]
Bart

31st Jul 06 at 12:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks for this. i will try it.

So by disabling 'Simple File Sharing' will prompt anyone trying to access the PC for the current username/password?
Bart

31st Jul 06 at 14:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Log on as Administrator. Go to Settings | Control Panel | User Accounts, and click on Guest Account to make sure it is turned on. Go to Start | Run, type cmd, and hit Enter. At the prompt, type Net user guest password and hit Enter. Go back to User Accounts and click on the Guest account. Note that you can now add a password (see the screen). Do so and reboot.

From now on, any attempt to log on to shared folders from the Guest account will require the Guest password for access—even if the Guest account is turned off!

spot on !

New Poll