corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Modern takes on classic cars

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Modern takes on classic cars
Robin
Premium Member

User status: Offline
25th Jul 06 at 15:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but in the past 15 years, there have been no major advances in driver aids
Hammer

25th Jul 06 at 15:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you joking? most of the really advanced stuff may not yet be in full run production yet but theres protoypes that have the ability to park themselves, surely thats an advanced driver aid?
Robin
Premium Member

25th Jul 06 at 15:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but cars have driven themselves for 10 years, just no one will sell them like it....

it'll be a good few years anyway
Hammer

25th Jul 06 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah and that's my point, they've driven themselves for ten years, so how long until the raw driving experience is completely diminished?

The purists already believe traction control abs cruise control etc etc is eating away at it
mwg

25th Jul 06 at 16:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll never buy a car that can drive itself. Dont mind mod conds like cruise control, traction control etc. but a car that drives itself is going too far...
Robin
Premium Member

25th Jul 06 at 16:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

traction control and cruise control would never be on a car i buy

ABS, maybe, because its much better at controlling brakes than a person.
mwg

25th Jul 06 at 16:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cruise control is excellent for motorway journeys. Not bothered about it taking any of the driving experience away cos theres not much worth experiencing on a motorway anyway
AK

25th Jul 06 at 16:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

me too... if they made it i'd be interested
Marc

25th Jul 06 at 16:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Iles
Mini is badged a Mini not a BMW, whether you love it or hate it it a retro car revamped and thats what you asked

The new Mini is badged as a MINI not a Mini. This is because Mini is owned by Austin- Rover.

That little Fiat is pretty cool.
Robin
Premium Member

25th Jul 06 at 16:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yup. should be reliable too, as it shares components with the new Ford KA, but looks better
AndyW

25th Jul 06 at 16:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i absolutely love taht dodge challenger!! i want one
CorsAsh

25th Jul 06 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think it's a good idea to look back to older designs and apply new manufacturing techniques to them. Breaks up the monotony of seeing repmobile after repmobile and generic superminis rolling off the production lines.

Car design in general was more interesting and unique to each marque back a few decades. Whilst lots of styling changes are forced by legislation for example, it still seems that car design recently has stagnated somewhat - it's only just starting to change. Chris Bangle, for all the slating he gets, is at least breaking the mould with BMW, it proves that you've got to take chances to progress.
Robin
Premium Member

25th Jul 06 at 17:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats a good point Ash. everyone fears change still

I like old cars more than new ones, i really struggled to find a new car thats a great looker, whereas, you go back to the 60s/70s and there are hundreds, which is kinda why i like the "remastered" ones
Stuckey

25th Jul 06 at 17:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Robin
Premium Member

25th Jul 06 at 17:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats ace. didnt even know that was being re-done
TNM

25th Jul 06 at 17:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Honda 2000.

S800

and then S2000

[Edited on 25-07-2006 by TNM]
Hammer

25th Jul 06 at 17:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsAsh
I think it's a good idea to look back to older designs and apply new manufacturing techniques to them. Breaks up the monotony of seeing repmobile after repmobile and generic superminis rolling off the production lines.

Car design in general was more interesting and unique to each marque back a few decades. Whilst lots of styling changes are forced by legislation for example, it still seems that car design recently has stagnated somewhat - it's only just starting to change. Chris Bangle, for all the slating he gets, is at least breaking the mould with BMW, it proves that you've got to take chances to progress.

that looks rather like an exert of a university dissertation
Marc

25th Jul 06 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'd think there would be more retro cars on the road. All the radical designs/concepts of the 60's can be made now and still be built to a safe standard. Always a gamble bringing out an odd car not keeping with the current trend though. Something thats worked well for Ford.
CorsAsh

25th Jul 06 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sxi04
quote:
Originally posted by CorsAsh

that looks rather like an exert of a university dissertation

I've got a degree in car design so yeah, it kinda is.
Hammer

25th Jul 06 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that would have been the point in the
CorsAsh

25th Jul 06 at 17:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's no excerpt tho, that's a fresh comment exclusively for CS
Marc

25th Jul 06 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do we need to buy a magazine to read the rest ?
Hammer

25th Jul 06 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So do you think with bringing the modern techniques of manufacture and design to the table these reworked classics are any better or worse than the original.

And the acid test has there been a reworked version better than the original in your opinion?
CorsAsh

25th Jul 06 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Look at the life of the Mustang, you notice how its only the first and most current ones that are popular? The 80s and 90s ones looked so generic that people weren't interested in them, it was just a not particularly good coupe with a badge slapped on it.

The new Mustang goes some way to bringing the excitement of the people who bought the original edition of the world's fastest selling car to the modern audience. And so, even though it's not atechnically perfect car, people still fall in love with it, just put the flaws down to "character"
Robin
Premium Member

25th Jul 06 at 17:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the new ones are more reliable, more user friendly and more efficient

but, they wont have the same character as the originals

except maybe the Challenger, which IMO looks better than the original

and the Lambo, which will be absolutely amazing.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Modern takes on classic cars 22 database queries in 0.0984068 seconds