corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Mk4 Astra Vans.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Mk4 Astra Vans.
sigibbons

User status: Offline
5th Jul 06 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone know anything about them. Im considering getting one for work and wondering if anyone knew what they were like for reliability and space etc.

I want a diesel so either the 1.7td or 2.0td.

Is the 1.7td the Izuzu engine, found in older Vauxhalls?

Thanks
flash22

5th Jul 06 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the astra van is based estate astra mates is a chippy an his on his 3rd one in 8 years and nearly done 500k miles between them (1 mk 3 and 2 astra G's )

the diesels in the astra g are a mix of gm and Izuzu from 2000 onwards it will mor than likly be the Y17DT whats the Izuzu lump (electronic controlled fuel pump rather than the mechincal fuel pump in the old one)

1.7 deisel can be a bit guttless as its geared for load carrying the 2 litre is the better of the 2 chaindriven rather than a cam belt and are easly tuned

look around for a Sportive as it will have all the toys inc aircon and elecy everything find a 2 litre and it should have rear disc's

theres loads around my brother who is an heating engineer got a 2.0 diesel sportive 53 plate all the toys inc climate and ply lined for £7k inc vat it was owend by an hotel so had only done 22k miles and was used for carring flower,towel's and stuff like that

steer clear of the ex-post office ones as there bogo models and normaly the low blow engine what have been restricted to stop mr posty blowing them up

[Edited on 05-07-2006 by flash22]
sigibbons

5th Jul 06 at 20:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Flash thanks for the info! I need to check the insurance difference between 2.0 and 1.7 but shouldnt be too much more if its alot better engine.

Im only looking to spend around 2k so i very much doubt i'll get a Sportive. Im a chippy so i can do the ply lining etc.

I will be looking at 1998-2000 reg ones so will they all be mechanical fuel pump ones? Are the diesel engines reliable?

Thanks very much for the info!
sigibbons

5th Jul 06 at 21:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well the insurance isnt any different for the 2.0 so i will get that engine. Is the 2.0 a 4 cylinder turbo diesel as its sometimes only listed as Di (Diesel injection). Did they make a non turbo 2.0 diesel?
Munchie

5th Jul 06 at 21:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no non turbo diesel. think there is in the 1/7 but not the 2.0
sigibbons

5th Jul 06 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers munch.
Robin
Premium Member

5th Jul 06 at 21:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the 2 litre is the better engine, but also rarer. for every one 2 litre, there will be 25 1.7s...
sigibbons

5th Jul 06 at 22:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So if the 2 litre is the better engine why was the 1.7 more popular?
Ste L

5th Jul 06 at 23:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mk4 astra van are min, if only i had the cash, would build a z-Let van

got for the 2.0 td,
sigibbons

7th Jul 06 at 17:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive been looking at Parkers website and for the Astra mk4 estate car it lists a 2L DI diesel Engine @ 80bhp, and it lists a 2L DTI 16v Diesel engine @98bhp.

So is it the more poweful one that comes in the van? Im sure ive seen 2L DI (not DTI) vans for sale?

Thanks
Carl

7th Jul 06 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as said, don't go for the 1.7td one as its piss poor.
sigibbons

7th Jul 06 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok im convinced about getting a 2L.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Mk4 Astra Vans. 22 database queries in 0.0097291 seconds