corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Upgraded To Nokia N80 on O2

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Upgraded To Nokia N80 on O2
Mav 3000

User status: Offline
21st Jun 06 at 23:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For some time, I've been monitoring the progress of the N80 - waiting for it to be released in the UK.

A few weeks ago, I saw it on Orange for £49.99 and £25 a month for 500 txt and 100 mins. Orange offer good 2G quality in my area. 3G calls are 20p/min to Orange, 40p/min x-net any time.

I went to order but it was out of stock. Last week, it was showing as in stock. I phoned up O2 - my current provider and asked them when they were getting it in and how much my upgrade would be.

I am currently on £20 a month and haven't upgraded in 15 months. They told me £230.

I phoned Orange and joined up.

I phone O2 to get my Port Authorisation Code. For this, they don't deal with you on the 'sale' dept, they transfer you to more intelligent people than their average 'ape employees'.

I ask for the PAC, they say 'why'? I explain, they say I shouldnt have been told £230. They at this time can't say how much the phone will be, but will offer me 500 txt and 100 mins - but for £15 a month as I am a loyal customer and they respect that.

I tell them that the lack of phone cost is not good, and O2 coverage in my area is crap. Their customer services is also crap, Orange was once great, but I'm sure they've outsourced this to India last time I called them.

O2 say, well, tell ya what, we'll offer you 200 mins, 3G inclusive, any network, any time, 500 texts, for £15 a month!

I tell them I'll give them the benefit of the doubt tho, and cancelled my contract with Orange - after 15 mins!

Two days later my Orange N80 arrives. I phone them and get a return bag and post it them back - gutted to have been so near yet so far.

Yesterday - a week later, N80 appears on O2.co.uk as in stock. I phone up, they tell me the cost of the N80 for me will be £170. I sign up.

I'm paying £170 + (12 x £15) = £350 over 12 months.

Orange offered £50 + (12 x £25) = £350 over 12 months.

Although I'm paying a lot more up front, O2 work out the same as Orange, but with 200 mins a month, 3G inclusive, no migration and an N80 for me tomorrow.

What a pain in the arse. The networks know exactly what they're doing and don't give away anything.

I now have a Nokia 6600 for sale - nothing wrong with it, amazing phone. Its lasted me 27 months and I still love it. Hopefully the N80 on our works un-protected wireless network will be better

Thanks for reading.

Rich
Munchie

21st Jun 06 at 23:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well in mate!
James

21st Jun 06 at 23:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I managed to get them to sell me the N80 for £130 and I threatened to go to Orange so they halfed my line rental to £15 a month for 200 cross network minutes and 500 texts

Sorry to piss on your bonfire
James

21st Jun 06 at 23:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Actually I just read your post again, you're getting the same as me but paying more for the phone
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

22nd Jun 06 at 11:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

N80 is only 99.99 now if you sing up to any contract on www.02.co.uk my boss is ordering his now

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
Bart

22nd Jun 06 at 14:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do you ring up orange/02 direct or use another 3rd company?

also, has anyone else found any good deals for the n80 on orange?

[Edited on 22-06-2006 by Bart]
Simon

22nd Jun 06 at 14:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my mate works at orange n fucked up when selling me the phone so got it £100 cheaper than should have Theres a few problems with it which you may find, but if you read some forums, there should be an official firmware update out soon to fix the problems
Bart

22nd Jun 06 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just found it with my current people, mobileshop.co.uk, £27.50 a month, 600 free mins, 100 free txts, and the handset is free. that aint a bad offer. slightly high monthly, but free handset.
6 months half priced line rental too.
ryansss

22nd Jun 06 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was waiting for the N80 but not sure I want it. Its got a metal front like the n70 (scuffs up easily) and poor battery life.

o2 are pains in the arse. I switched to vodafone as o2 tried to pull a fast one on handset price. Vodafone then messed up sent me lots of n70's and charged me when I asked for just the one!! Went back to o2 who told me my cancelation letter had gone to the wrong dept and not to worry. month later they disconect me as they found the letter I sent!!! ARGH!!!!

Waiting for the new 3 mega pixel sony or 3 mega pixel nokia without the slide bit. Dare say I'll have to wait months on end and then get done on the price.
Mav 3000

22nd Jun 06 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm Nokia all the way - never had any problems with them at all.

I'm impressed with the N80. Wi-Fi is excellent, box contains USB, Headphone, Wrist strap, Headphone adaptor, Charger, Charger adaptor (to use old Nokia chargers) and a huge manual!

Batterly life is poor in heavy use, but understandble for the screen and work its doing.

Screen in excellend, camera is 'ok', connectivity is brilliant. If you like Simbian phones or like features over looks, get this. If its fashion you like go for SE and miss out on the Wi-Fi

N80 is £49.99 on Orange pay monthly btw. all contracts are currently for the silver model - the S.Steel effect does show thumb prints, until its evenly coated then looks ok
Jambo

22nd Jun 06 at 21:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cant be arsed to read the whole thread.

Basically you got what is called a retntion deal. And the people who u spoke to are sat about 5 feet from the "muppets" on the sale team. This is called a chanel or "customer journey" it happens everyday to most people.

Plus Mav RE: SE and fashion (or should we say reliability/battery life) Try comparing a smartphone with a smartphone. The p990 will be out asap and be far superior...
Carl

22nd Jun 06 at 23:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah it's common knowledge that you phone up for you pac code and then blag a better deal with the geezer dealing with retention.
GT4Brody

24th Jun 06 at 13:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thinking of going for the n80, as contract up for renewal. Can you have tom tom on the n80? not sure if it is a smart phone or not??
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

25th Jun 06 at 10:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by GT4Brody
Thinking of going for the n80, as contract up for renewal. Can you have tom tom on the n80? not sure if it is a smart phone or not??

The current version of tom tom mobile does not work on the N80.

Went for a nosey at it yesterday its a nice phone and quite small for all the features it packs!

Quite tempted by it myself.

3 were going to dish the phone out free / 1000 texts 300 mins / 1gb Mem Stick / £25 a month on 18 months or £30 on 12 month contracts!

Didn't think it was a bad deal but ive upgraded my K750i to the K800i which should be here on the 28th June

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car

New Poll