corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Driver ability / having a go / level of care

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Driver ability / having a go / level of care
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Offline
21st Jun 06 at 20:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can we put this silly car talk to bed about what cars are faster. The above pic is from a Max Power shoot ages ago about modifying a budget car. The Corsa was the least powerful car there, it also wasn't mine. As a result everything else got dusted on the bendies.

Yes, thats right.

Corsa SRi 1400 16v pulling a massive 90 brake won stuff

Other faster cars didn't win stuff

Hold the press

(incidently, the Saxo spun and split his bumper on a stack of tyres )

[Edited on 21-06-2006 by Ian]
Adam_B

21st Jun 06 at 20:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

remember reading about that back in the day

did they do loads of shit photoshops as well

[Edited on 21-06-2006 by Adam_B]
RS6

21st Jun 06 at 20:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ian
Site Administrator

21st Jun 06 at 20:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Remembered another.

My 1600 at Elvington, won the award for best antics.

Corsa in 'goes where you put it' shocker

Everyone knows Corsas don't handle though

How can this be
Adam_B

21st Jun 06 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

now your just taking the piss.
gianluigi

21st Jun 06 at 20:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nath

21st Jun 06 at 20:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Steve
Premium Member

21st Jun 06 at 20:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is that you on the left on the 2nd row ian?
Ian
Site Administrator

21st Jun 06 at 20:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Me far left on that pic, yeah.

No one else was playing Adam.
Paul_J

21st Jun 06 at 20:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Ian says: The Corsa was the least powerful car there, it also wasn't mine. As a result everything else got dusted on the bendies.

wtf.

So your now saying that the 1.4 16v Sri, beat the 106 Gti pictured through the twisties?

yes I understand depends on driver, but car determines how well it grips, how well it turns into a corner, holds its line etc.

As well as obvious things like how quick it goes in a straight line.

I can't believe the corsa which looks a bit of a shed, beat the gti through the bends.
Steve
Premium Member

21st Jun 06 at 20:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Me far left on that pic, yeah.

No one else was playing Adam.

is that Glynn from Big Brother in front of you?
Ian
Site Administrator

21st Jun 06 at 20:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats exactly what I'm saying Paul. No one else was trying at all, despite all the other cars being clearly better handling and faster.

The Saxo driver lifted off mid-bend and spun and bent stuff. The Saxo should be better than the Corsa, and he fell off. This is my point. Its not all about the cars.
Ry_B
Banned

21st Jun 06 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Paul, like I said before I deleted my post, the Corsa driver must have been the Stig, the other drivers must have been 12 year old girls with no license.
broster
Premium Member

21st Jun 06 at 20:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J

yes I understand depends on driver, but car determines how well it grips, how well it turns into a corner, holds its line etc.

As well as obvious things like how quick it goes in a straight line.

i disagree, the car just does what its old by the driver, to an extent.....

if the driver is a bit of a chump then the car wont have any choice on what to do but be shite
Marc

21st Jun 06 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There are circumstances where a faster car can make up for a drivers lack of skill though.
Ian
Site Administrator

21st Jun 06 at 20:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Marc
There are circumstances where a faster car can make up for a drivers lack of skill though.
Yes, which is generally why Imprezas and CTRs are popular cars
Mase
Premium Member

21st Jun 06 at 20:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its the same with me mate and his karting.... majority of the others had to add lead to there karts to get them up to the required minimum weight, but me mate didn't due to a uni diet, but he still managed to keep up with the main pack...

Mase
Steve
Premium Member

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:

i like it
Nath

21st Jun 06 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Only when the difference is drastic.
Paul_J

21st Jun 06 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Thats exactly what I'm saying Paul. No one else was trying at all, despite all the other cars being clearly better handling and faster.

The Saxo driver lifted off mid-bend and spun and bent stuff. The Saxo should be better than the Corsa, and he fell off. This is my point. Its not all about the cars.

ah - right gotcha I can kinda relate to this, on track it teaches you to drive properly. On roads you can lift off mid bend and brake mid corner no probs. On a track you lift off doing 90 mph round a corner and the back end passes the front!

This was rule number 1 I learnt on track, do not lift! just regulate amount of throttle (i.e. not on / off). So yeh he who has the balls to keep his foot down where the other's would lift would result in that car being quicker.

Infact that's basically how I used to embarress bigger cars in my 1.2 16v on twisty roads - which of course everyone slated on here

P.S. I wasn't actually saying the vectra couldn't keep up with a scooby on the bends - as they were both made for performance.

My Gti suprises me some times just how well it holds providing you keep your foot on the gas, through twisties at naughty speeds just long sweeping bends, feel the back just getting ready to slip a little. Usually though I drive and think I don't want to crash or get any more points so drive way within the limits of the car.
Marc

21st Jun 06 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:

Indeed. You still hear about a lot getting smashed up though.
Jake

21st Jun 06 at 20:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ian

On roads you can lift off mid bend and brake mid corner no probs.

not in my experience
Paul_J

21st Jun 06 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jake
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ian

On roads you can lift off mid bend and brake mid corner no probs.

not in my experience

Well based on the fact the car is being driven at or below speed limits

If your back end follows the front when lifting off at under 60 mph your car is pretty crap (not including roundabouts)
Ian
Site Administrator

21st Jun 06 at 20:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've stepped out slower than that. Depends how you set it up.
Jake

21st Jun 06 at 20:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think i tried to do a roundabout at 55mph or something, stripped out rear on standard suspension. Lift off oversteer and back end went, still drive it with a slightly bent axle

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Driver ability / having a go / level of care 23 database queries in 0.1003962 seconds