corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Projector as TV

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Projector as TV
Aaron

User status: Offline
   6th Jun 06 at 15:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So i'm pretty sure i want a projector to act as my TV because i've got a perfect wall for it in my living room.

Has anyone else on here done this, is so how?

do you just have the audio/visual feed coming from a small portable hidden away in a cupboard?

[Edited on 06-06-2006 by Aj.]
Dom

6th Jun 06 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

depends how much money you want to spend as a decent CRT projector can cost anything from 2k - 15k+, let alone the rest of gear such as AV amp, dvd etc.

Dont look at LCD ones as they arnt brilliant, look for DLP - can pick a decent one up for around 1500 quid! Obviously if you have the cash then get a CRT unit, but they arnt small.

Try and mount the unit on the wall, if not then you can put them into coffee tables or on bookcases etc As for feed, all you need is the visual connection - will be either Digital (HDMI/DVI) otherwise will be analog (Component/BNC being the best, otherwise Composite). Sound will be handle by your AV amp surround sound setup etc.

If the wall is near enough perfect then you can use some special paint (look on AVForum and other sites) to bring it close to what projection screens have, if not then an alright 70" jobby will be about 100-200 quid for something simple.

There way someone on here that was selling a DLP projector in the classified a few months ago, and in a thread about an AV amp (Geek Day) someone had a decent projector setup using a Pioneer AV (i think) amp. But have a look on AV forums eitherway and get some Cinema mags, will help you get the right projector for the cash etc
50Calibre

6th Jun 06 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im guessing your looking for cheap home use for a few hours of tv a day in which case
id start by looking in Makro they have some pretty good DLP projectors in there for £399 + vat

to be honest ive got a LCD projector hooked up running at 800x600 and for media its all that you need, text isnt too sharp but its readible

i bought mine second hand £250 from ebay with 1000 hours left on the bulb

you dont need a CRT projector as they are more expensive / trouble then theyre worth (they have 3 coloured bulbs so more to replace etc) theyre really designed for full time use hours on end

a decent LCD or DLP will have a duty time of about 5 hours really before it would need a chance to cool

finally i use a stereo that has 2 av inputs for the sound
chr15barn3s

6th Jun 06 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One thing to take into account though is the bulb life on the projector. They are starting to last longer but expect the bulb to be a few hundred pounds.

New Poll