corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » What to do engine wise...........................

Poll: What to do engine wise...........................
  Fix mine, another quickish 150bhp car
  1.6 16v on Tb's
  XE, like Lee M's and myke's, run sub 15's all day and seem both to be reliable
  LET, vroooommmmmmm tisssshhhhhh

New Poll
  <<  6    7    8    9    10  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author What to do engine wise...........................
AK

User status: Offline
7th Jun 06 at 08:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its quite true though.....

a 210bhp 1.6 corsa with struggle against a 210bhp c20let in day to day motorway driving.

The let has such a big torque advantage. The only way for the 1.6 to rape it would be to catch the let in 5th or something when its in 3rd/2nd
Marc

7th Jun 06 at 08:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not what Daimo said, although I'm guessing thats what he probably meant...
Daimo B

7th Jun 06 at 08:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Marc
That is quite a wide statement to make Daimo.

Watch the haters

Aye, but its true though..

TB 1.6 is good for track use, but its not quick on the road at all IMO.

The only thing thats "quick" in a Corsa is a LET. The others are plain "nippy".

Also, a tuned 1.6 16v on TB will need rebuilding more often than a standard 2.0.

"watches argument commence"
Daimo B

7th Jun 06 at 08:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK
its quite true though.....

a 210bhp 1.6 corsa with struggle against a 210bhp c20let in day to day motorway driving.

The let has such a big torque advantage. The only way for the 1.6 to rape it would be to catch the let in 5th or something when its in 3rd/2nd

Even then it would only stick with it for a second or two while the 1.6 was int he right gear. By which point the LET owner would ahve banged it up a few pegs, then off it goes and will pull on the small engine from there on..

BAck to the old, no replacement for displacement thing again.

Just look at ANY 1/4 mile terminal speeds from a tuned 1.6 and a LET.
Marc

7th Jun 06 at 08:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
TB 1.6 is good for track use, but its not quick on the road at all IMO.

The only thing thats "quick" in a Corsa is a LET. The others are plain "nippy".

Also, a tuned 1.6 16v on TB will need rebuilding more often than a standard 2.0.

I agree with some of that, all depends on the roads though. Trouble with the 1.6s is as you say, all the power will be at the top end. A bigger engined car will be more suited to open road fast use.
Daimo B

7th Jun 06 at 08:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agreed, TB will pull more if you do more B road driving, but tbh, when on the roads, who races down the twistys?

Far too risky for me, i'd rather save for the track rather than risk the person "racing" possibly smashing my car/their car. Not like we have a lot of run off area on our B roads

Having a blat in a straight line doesn't need any skill, but far less risky also. If you want more, get on track.

Easy way to sort weight for all the weighters, buy the 20kg block. Only £3k+ VAT.
dna23

7th Jun 06 at 08:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

X20XEV

or

chevrolet 350 cui V8
Marc

7th Jun 06 at 09:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Chevy V8
SAL
Premium Member

7th Jun 06 at 09:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sell me your engine and get lettin!
J1M

7th Jun 06 at 09:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
Agreed, TB will pull more if you do more B road driving, but tbh, when on the roads, who races down the twistys?

People who can drive

A friend of mine took me out in my car last saturday down some B roads which he knew very well and we were hitting silly speeds. So much more exhilirating than just putting your foot down in a straight line along a motorway.

Something else for jr to consider, if this car is to be a daily driver (or at least come out in the summer time) where is he most likely to drive the car?

For shear driving pleasure you can not beat blasting down some twisties. Depending on the road, most of the time you won't exceed the speed limit, it'll be a case of seeing how the car handles. You learn so much from driving down B roads. What can you learn whilst sat in 5th or 6th gear on the motoroway? Oh look my car can do almost double the speed limit.

I appreciate there are risks with both circumstances; blasting down B roads, you never quite know whats round the next corner, but you may suffer a blow out at 140mph on the motorway or have someone pull out in front of you because they can't judge how fast you are going. It's 6 of 1, half a dozen of the other, but when I'm driving my car to Manchester I always take the B roads, so much more enjoyable.

Jim
AK

7th Jun 06 at 09:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

build it as a track car 1600 16v.... you have the 1.0 to use daily
Daimo B

7th Jun 06 at 10:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by J1M
I appreciate there are risks with both circumstances; blasting down B roads, you never quite know whats round the next corner, but you may suffer a blow out at 140mph on the motorway or have someone pull out in front of you because they can't judge how fast you are going. It's 6 of 1, half a dozen of the other, but when I'm driving my car to Manchester I always take the B roads, so much more enjoyable.

Jim

People who can drive, or people who have a death wish?

As you say, people don't worry till it happens, but after being in a bike accident, your perspective on things change. You learn to drive/ride within the limits that you are 100% sure the car/bike can stop within IF something were to happen that could be avoided at slower speeds.

I'd rather let the person wanting the race go past rather than risk it. But we're all different. Oil on the road, animals, car coming the other way, biker taking his right line into a corner where you come round and take them out where your cutting the white line, loosing control and going through a fence etc. I value my car more than that. Too many unknowns on the road, especially with todays driving standards.

Maybe im getting old, save it for the track. Where you can really push the car, safley, see where your going, no chance of anything jumping out at you, and if you loose it, you have run-off area.. Far too many unknowns if you can't see whats ahead and are going on memory. I say this becuyase the times i've come down a nice country road on the bike, and theres all of a sudden gravel on the road, or its a bit slippery compared to normal. Scars the hell out of me everytime as theres no-way i could bail out. Especially with a fence/hedge 5ft from my face.

[Edited on 07-06-2006 by VXR]
J1M

7th Jun 06 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
People who can drive, or people who have a death wish?

As you say, people don't worry till it happens, but after being in a bike accident, your perspective on things change. You learn to drive/ride within the limits that you are 100% sure the car/bike can stop within IF something were to happen that could be avoided at slower speeds.

I still believe people who can drive will be just as competent down the twisties as they will on a motorway. I don't see how driving at 140mph in a straight line on a public road is any less of a deathwish? As I said, driving on the twisties you rarely exceed the speed limit and there is usually less traffic to contend with. I'm not saying you should drive down the B roads at ridiculous speeds pushing the car to it's limits.

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
I'd rather let the person wanting the race go past rather than risk it. But we're all different. Oil on the road, animals, car coming the other way, biker taking his right line into a corner where you come round and take them out where your cutting the white line, loosing control and going through a fence etc. I value my car more than that. Too many unknowns on the road, especially with todays driving standards.

Maybe im getting old, save it for the track. Where you can really push the car, safley, see where your going, no chance of anything jumping out at you, and if you loose it, you have run-off area.. Far too many unknowns if you can't see whats ahead and are going on memory. I say this becuyase the times i've come down a nice country road on the bike, and theres all of a sudden gravel on the road, or its a bit slippery compared to normal. Scars the hell out of me everytime as theres no-way i could bail out. Especially with a fence/hedge 5ft from my face.

You misinterpreted what I was saying about driving down the twisties, I didn't mean racing with another car, but more of a pleasurable driving experience, just enjoying the car round some corners.

I totally agree that if you want to race your car you should do it on a track where you can learn its limits and not worry about either wiping out or worse hurting someone.
corb

7th Jun 06 at 12:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

down the twisties, imagine someone else was doing the same thing as you, but coming the other way. very risky imo. a competant driver cant compensate for other idiots on the roads or an accident.
Butler

7th Jun 06 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I like this thread, some good debate and all about the cars
Butler

7th Jun 06 at 12:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Put a 1.4 16v in it and race it you wimp
Daimo B

7th Jun 06 at 13:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

NO Vibs and his backup gang to argue with... All the backup gang wither away when Penfolds not about

Marc

7th Jun 06 at 13:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^

Where did that come from?
3CorsaMeal

7th Jun 06 at 13:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this is like how CS used to be, really boringly shite and pointless
ed

7th Jun 06 at 13:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jr
that will be very fly by wire, difficult, expensive
Doesn't stop people putting 1.8t's in Mk 1 Golfs. Stop making excuses boyo.

[Edited on 07-06-2006 by ed]
Robin
Premium Member

7th Jun 06 at 13:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hes just a gaylord ed. hes scared of change.
ed

7th Jun 06 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know. I was just standing mincing at PVS and the next thing I know is Jr's raping me. What a gay.
Robin
Premium Member

7th Jun 06 at 13:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

[Edited on 07-06-2006 by robmarriott]
jr

7th Jun 06 at 17:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
quote:
Originally posted by jr
that will be very fly by wire, difficult, expensive
Doesn't stop people putting 1.8t's in Mk 1 Golfs. Stop making excuses boyo.

[Edited on 07-06-2006 by ed]

the use AGU 1.8t;s that have a cable
jr

7th Jun 06 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh and TBH, with the area i live in and the type of driving the car gets, B roads are by far the best, how dangerous they are is down to me to make the desicion, but as Jim says blasting you car down a b raod is far far better than a blat on the motorway

<<  6    7    8    9    10  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » What to do engine wise........................... 22 database queries in 0.1349831 seconds