corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » manifold wrapping

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author manifold wrapping
jamesvalver

User status: Offline
24th May 06 at 23:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whats the benifits?

would it be worth me doing this on my c20xe?

cheers

james
smart_corsa324

24th May 06 at 23:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yer it is worth it mates as it keeps the heat in the exhaust more and not your air filter i am doing mine the weekend well worth the 40 quid the stuff is
craig_s

25th May 06 at 21:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wot is the stuff called mate?
tooolbox timmy

26th May 06 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

heat wrap or manifold wrap,wouldnt recomend using it with an after market manifold as the excess heat can cause the maifold to crack
Adam

26th May 06 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

make sure you have no oil leaks and that no oil gets on it otherwise it soaks in and when it gets too hot it will catch light
broster
Premium Member

27th May 06 at 13:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im not to keen on it myself....

if the manifold is stainless it can cause it to crack as it wont let the heat out
ianofbhills

27th May 06 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That statement is incorrect.

If the manifold is cast like most factory fit manifolds and most turbo manifolds then indeed the extra heat invoked by wrapping the manifold with the heat wrap can increase the risk of cracking it.

After market manifolds tend to be fabricated from bent tubes hence their better gas flow properties (larger diameter) and increased engine performance. Wheter they are made from the mild steel or stainless they will both be fine for manifold wrapping and will not crack because of it.

Manifold wrapping is an old way of helping to keep the exhaust gasses moving through the exhaust system as efficiently as possible by preventing the heat transfer to the exhaust pipe. If you look at motorsport a better way of doing it now is to ceramic coat the manifold inside and out which has all the benefits of the heat wrap with none of the negatives. I.e the heatwrap tends to get torn and damaged after a while and needs to be replaced, heat wrap can trap moisture next to a mild steel exhaust increasing the risk of corrosion.
broster
Premium Member

27th May 06 at 15:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ianofbhills
That statement is incorrect.

If the manifold is cast like most factory fit manifolds and most turbo manifolds then indeed the extra heat invoked by wrapping the manifold with the heat wrap can increase the risk of cracking it.

After market manifolds tend to be fabricated from bent tubes hence their better gas flow properties (larger diameter) and increased engine performance. Wheter they are made from the mild steel or stainless they will both be fine for manifold wrapping and will not crack because of it.

Manifold wrapping is an old way of helping to keep the exhaust gasses moving through the exhaust system as efficiently as possible by preventing the heat transfer to the exhaust pipe. If you look at motorsport a better way of doing it now is to ceramic coat the manifold inside and out which has all the benefits of the heat wrap with none of the negatives. I.e the heatwrap tends to get torn and damaged after a while and needs to be replaced, heat wrap can trap moisture next to a mild steel exhaust increasing the risk of corrosion.

erm....

when the stainless tubular manifolds are wrapped the welds get weaker when heated, wrap makes more heat get induced into the welds, then with the movement from the exhaust there is a higher risk of it cracking due to the heat, seen it happen on many cars
ianofbhills

27th May 06 at 15:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They must be very poorly designed and cheap aftermarket manifolds you have seen failing then.

I myself have only seen one case of a wrapped fabricated manifold breaking which was a Jansport mild steel system. I believe this manifold failed mainly because the engine mounts on the car it was fitted to were shot and it was more the increased movement then the heat wrap which snapped the manifold. The jansport manifold broke on the pipe where the collector is not on a weld and well away from the wrapped section.

The weld is generally the strongest part of any fabricated material partly because of its increase in thickness but also due to moleculer structure. Stainless steel and mild steel used for exhaust sections are easily capable of the increased teperatures they are subjected to when a heat wrap is fitted.
The mild or stainless steel is a much more ductile material then an oe cast manifold and has greater resistance to fatigue then cast iron.

An oe cast manifold which is made from cheaper materials and mass produced is much more likely to fail having been heat wrapped then a well made fabricated exhaust manifold wheter stainless or mild steel.

New Poll