corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Fish Tanks

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Fish Tanks
Jodi_the_g

User status: Offline
12th May 06 at 00:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been toying with the idea for a while and decided one would look pretty impressive.

Been looking at a Rena Aqualife Classic 150 cm x 51 cm x 70.5 cm (543 lts)

It comes with the following Rena XP3 external filter, a 200W and a 300W heater and two twin 30W lighting

What else would i need and what type of fish could i keep in a tank that size want some big ones not shitty little things.

And would i have to clean the thing out as i can't be bothered with that really.

By the way i have no knowledge of fish. bar a couple if goldfish won at a fair as a child.
rustyarchs

12th May 06 at 00:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quite a big tank

gravel/sand wood/rocks/ornaments and anything else you faniced

yup youl need to do waterchanges of about 15-25% depending on fish

and you could keep pretty much anything you wanted in that tank as long as they got on,,

we got a couple of new ones that grow big,, a silver bircher he should go to about 14inchs and a red tailed cat which can grow to 1.8metres but the now there just babies

i want an arrowana but kirst wont let me get 1 yet till we get a bigger tank,

what kinda fish do you want?? evil buggers or nice lookers
Jodi_the_g

12th May 06 at 00:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would love a shark lol. would look amazing in the living room.

I just thought about weight though that would be an issue would it not?

Evil buggers are the way forward.
GREG 1

12th May 06 at 08:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As said above mate, it all depends on what fish (and maybe corals if you go marine route) you want to have in the tank.

Also depends on how much time, knowledge and money you have too spend.

I had a tropical tank but moved into marine now, all going well so far
Jodi_the_g

12th May 06 at 08:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think marine, i have no knowledge what so ever been reading cylce stuff and have no clue.

just thought the bigger the tank the better fish i can have do not know if this is the case.

is there any good sites where you can buy this stuff so i can get an idea of prices.

[Edited on 12-05-2006 by Jodi_the_g]
GREG 1

12th May 06 at 08:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok

You need to learn ALOT before you even think about buying a tank. I'll give you a tip if your going marine route, the bigger the tank the easier is to look after.

Believe me though, you need to research alot of stuff mate and also be prepared to spend loads of money and i mean alot, not just on fish but also everything else (especially if you get coral)

Tropical is your easiest bet BUT marine is 100 times better when it's all set up

This site is superb http://www.fishforums.net
Ally

12th May 06 at 08:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No knowledge of fish = start on a smaller tank thats easier to maintain

You need to do water changes, which means taking 25% - 50% of the water from the tank and replacing it with fresh (dechlorinated) water... and a big tank means lots of work and lots of buckets!
Jodi_the_g

12th May 06 at 08:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers.

I know what you mean the tank alone is not cheap but would make a good feature for the room so looking at it as a peice of furntinure.
Adam

12th May 06 at 08:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.theaquariumshop.co.uk/fluval-deep-1200-o-17.html
Adam

12th May 06 at 08:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not quite as big but a lot less cost, pets at home are doing it with stand for £290 atm too
K17STY

12th May 06 at 08:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jody- Have a read on that forum. They are quite oppinionated but generally know there stuff. Before you buy any fish make sure you read a bit into them so you know what your getting, also ask at the store. Most tell you crap but there are a few good ones around. Id say the bigger tank would be better for you. Once you cycle it a bigger tank is easier to maintain. Think of it like this its going to take longer for the heat to drop in a larger tank than say a 10 gallon tank. Also the water levels, ph, ammonia, nitrates and nitrites will be more stable.

Fish wise if your talking sharks. . . do you want something that looks like a shark?? Id suggest a group of either pangasius sharks. they can grow to over 4 feet. or Dolphin sharks which probably look more like a shark tbh
Jodi_the_g

12th May 06 at 09:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the adivce. I just signed up for that forum.

I was looking at the tank above or the one up from it 201 x 51 x 70.5 (723ltrs) as its not that much more, but i am worried about the weight.

Just want something that looks pretty cool.

I have a look at dolphin sharks, I still unsure what fish i want just want something that looks dangerous lol.
GREG 1

12th May 06 at 09:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by K17STY
Id say the bigger tank would be better for you. Once you cycle it a bigger tank is easier to maintain. Think of it like this its going to take longer for the heat to drop in a larger tank than say a 10 gallon tank. Also the water levels, ph, ammonia, nitrates and nitrites will be more stable.

Exactly right, plus there are many more benefits for a beginner

quote:
Originally posted by Ally
No knowledge of fish = start on a smaller tank thats easier to maintain

Not if he wants to go marine route, he would never maintain the tank.
Ally

12th May 06 at 09:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes Greg but he would have to start it up, cycle it, then add the fish. Also deal with infections and illnesses and ALL tanks require some maintanence (even if it is very little)

Jodi sign up on www.fishforums.net thats a good site

If it were me, and i had the money, id go for Marine but would read up shitloads before i got it all.

Marine - looks nicer, fish/coral etc are expensive

Tropical - cheaper than marine, needs more maintanence, fish are cheap

look on fishforums in the photograph bit, ppl post piccies of their tanks so u can see which one u like the look of
K17STY

12th May 06 at 09:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jodi_the_g
Thanks for the adivce. I just signed up for that forum.

I was looking at the tank above or the one up from it 201 x 51 x 70.5 (723ltrs) as its not that much more, but i am worried about the weight.

Just want something that looks pretty cool.

I have a look at dolphin sharks, I still unsure what fish i want just want something that looks dangerous lol.

If you get a stand with the tank the weigh shouldnt be an issue. Stick a large square of wood under it if you want to be sure its evenly spread. Your only going to have to worry if you need to go to something like an 8ft.

Which im worried we are going to have to. .

we have one of these bad boys

who grows to bigger than this. .

Havea look in the oddball section. . it rocks

GREG 1

12th May 06 at 09:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is noway tropical needs more maintenance.

You can get away with adding the water, getting the right temp and adding a few hardy fish after a few weeks and going off that. Obviusly your water changes weekly.

Marine is a COMPLETLEY different story, i knew it would be hard / time consuming and now I know everything about it
Ally

12th May 06 at 09:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Kirst... you might need a 200ft tank if he gets bigger than that
JadeM
Premium Member

12th May 06 at 09:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive got little tadpoles in my pond out the back
Jodi_the_g

12th May 06 at 09:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Signed up and browsing on it at the moment.

and there is some impressive tanks, I think i am going to go the marine route. will be a month or so before i put anywater in as I fancy making a stand for something to do on weekends.

Are Rena good tanks as they seem cheapish for the size
Ally

12th May 06 at 09:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by GREG 1
now I know everything about it

3CorsaMeal

12th May 06 at 09:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

convicts, they great, or an oscar or two

some of the most aggresive/moody fcukers
K17STY

12th May 06 at 09:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Tropical - cheaper than marine, needs more maintanence, fish are cheap

Marinaeis far more maintanence than tropical. I have one well established tank i hardlyever need to do big water changes for the levels and only really needs cleaned out due to the shite. Marine is far more hands on, generally you have to atleast check everything is ok daily. and possibly bi-daily water top up ect which you need to run an RO unit for, ask greg how long one of those takes to do any large amount of water.
Tropical fish are cheaper yes but you stil get expensive ones. Trust me the cat wasnt cheap. Plus if your tank crashes your less likely to lose big money.
3CorsaMeal

12th May 06 at 09:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

marine is hard work, lots more money, great looking tho, have to be dedicated

K17STY

12th May 06 at 09:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Kirst... you might need a 200ft tank if he gets bigger than that

the minimal adult tank size is 1000 gallons

where the hell am i gonna put that bad boy?
3CorsaMeal

12th May 06 at 09:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bit of info on convicts

This is perhaps one of the most forgiving fish in the pet trade... they are amazing survivors and adaptors! However, they are not for the weak of heart and for those fishkeepers with peaceful community tank fish. These fish are NOT known for their gentle dispositions, and need to be kept with other aggressive, larger fish that will hold their own (it can and will harass some fish to death). They have been known to pick fights with Oscars more than 3X's their size, and win! Best kept alone or with their own kind, but fascinating fish to watch.
Convicts are among the easiest bred fish in captivity, but watch out, make sure you know what you are getting yourself into when you get a pair (see below). This fish has no special requirements at all and is extremely hardy. It is great for beginners who are having trouble keeping more delicate species alive, but they must be prepared to see this territorial fighter in action if they want to keep them with other species, even other bad-attitude cichlids like red terrors and jack dempseys. If kept in the right setup, you will really see their amazing colors and behaviors come through--they are very entertaining fish. They can be fed a variety of foods, including flakes, cichlid pellets, frozen/live brine shrimp, blood worms, and vegetables like chopped-up spinach leaves. They are omnivorous, and not picky eaters, but very greedy.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Fish Tanks 22 database queries in 0.1124001 seconds