corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » In a pickle with my speakers

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author In a pickle with my speakers
greenelephant

User status: Offline
   9th May 06 at 14:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ez every1. I've got a set of 5.25 (13cm) JVC 250Watt coaxial speakers and I was wondering if my car battery alone would b able to support them. (I've got a feeling they're 2 powerful and would drain the battery) so im thinking I may need 2 wire them 2 am amp. What do u lot think?

[Edited on 09-05-2006 by greenelephant]
greenelephant

9th May 06 at 15:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

n e 1 there?
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

9th May 06 at 15:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its not the battery thats the problem, its the headunit that wont support them, as that can probably only kick out 50W per speaker maximum.

Oh, and I told you 2 nights ago mate, try to wait for a reply before topping the thread again, you waited a grand total of 39 minutes.

This should also be in ICE and Electrics.
greenelephant

9th May 06 at 15:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry m8. just 1 last thing, my head unit is 4 x 45watt so would they b able to support 180W speaker?
CoastalCorsa

9th May 06 at 15:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

your head unit will play sound through any speakers but for better sound u could wire them to an amp
CoastalCorsa

9th May 06 at 16:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lots of useful info here - http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=3
tom_simes
Show Staff
Premium Member

9th May 06 at 16:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by greenelephant
Sorry m8.

No problems mate, just bear it in mind.

quote:

just 1 last thing, my head unit is 4 x 45watt so would they b able to support 180W speaker?

Yea, it would, but wouldn't sound the best.
In my current car, I had 270W max, 95W RMS speakers running off my 4x50W headunit. They ran fine, but distorted quite badly as soon as the volume was turned up relatively loud.
After two weeks, I fitted my 290W max, 97W RMS amp to power them, and they now sound much better, and don't distort unless they are almost at max volume!
greenelephant

9th May 06 at 19:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1 more question. I want 2 get a set of 400W or 500W 6x9's as well as front door 5.25 speakers. Say 4 example I go 4 the 500W 6x9's and the 180W speaker. Does that mean I need a amp around 1500W with 4 channels 2 power all 4 speakers. (Sorry if this question sounds stupid. I'ma bit of a novice about car audio. hence reason im here )

[Edited on 09-05-2006 by greenelephant]
tom_simes
Show Staff
Premium Member

9th May 06 at 19:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right mate, you need to find out the RMS (rated) power of all the speakers, which I'm guessing is around 80W for the door speakers and 150W RMS for the 6x9's.
Then you are looking for an amp with four channels and an RMS of the higher reading, providing this isn't a lot bigger.
So for the example of the RMS readings I gave, you are looking for an amp with approximately 150 - 160W RMS per channel, i.e. 4x150W RMS.
Hope this helps!

New Poll