corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Realistic price of fitting new engine etc

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Realistic price of fitting new engine etc
Karen

User status: Offline
7th May 06 at 17:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok my pals tigra 1.6 engine had major problems after some pikey garage fooked things up so she went elsewhere and without talking to me first she went ahead and told the guy to source another 1.6 16v engine and fit it and give it a service etc. She already paid some money to them so couldnt get it back.
I almost died when she told me how much, £1900. Surely that cant be right!!! Can get a xe supplied and fitted for much less cant u
Greg_M

7th May 06 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

depends on what they are replacing and what labour rate they charge. Yes you could get an XE fitted for that. but not from a garage i would doubt

[Edited on 07-05-2006 by Greg_M]
SportBoy

7th May 06 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a 'new' recon 1.6 engine from vaux is about 800 quid to 1k plus vat i think
alistairolsen

7th May 06 at 17:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think folk on here were talking 1500 for an xe conversion.

Since the engines cost the same, and take the same work to fit, I can see a garage charging a similar amount tbh
Ry_B
Banned

7th May 06 at 17:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can get a new Tigra for £1900!!
Sam
Premium Member

7th May 06 at 17:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mechanic dude will fit me a 2.0 16v, uprated brakes and suspension for £1600 into my Astra, and that includes the price of the engine too.

Has your friend gone to Vauxhall or something?
SportBoy

7th May 06 at 18:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds like a new engine for 1900 .. wont be a new engine with the astra for 1600 .. if its had a new engine say 800 - 1k then labour and then its had a service too . and vat on top .. all adds up

[Edited on 07-05-2006 by SportyBoy]
Lil_John
Banned

7th May 06 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tell her i'll supply her with a 1.6 16v in a tigra already for less then 1900, range of colours available

autotrader.co.uk
Mattss Corsa

7th May 06 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I payed Over £1350 for my new engine and fitted. That's with Jamsport. Then had allot of other problems, then ended up spending over £2.2k on my engine! Arghh all sorted now Mine was a X16XE engine, new one.
Sam
Premium Member

7th May 06 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SportyBoy
sounds like a new engine for 1900 .. wont be a new engine with the astra for 1600 .. if its had a new engine say 800 - 1k then labour and then its had a service too . and vat on top .. all adds up

[Edited on 07-05-2006 by SportyBoy]

LMFAO of course it's not a brand spanker for the Astra!

But the engine will have been rebuilt etc. by himself so more or less new!
BeArDy

7th May 06 at 18:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1.6 16v engine - £250-500
Labour - £250-300
Ian
Site Administrator

7th May 06 at 19:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends who is doing it and how much comeback you want. She'll certainly get it far cheaper, but second hand engines might also be costly to sort as well.
Karen

7th May 06 at 20:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its not a brand new engine, its out another tigra with less miles than her one. Just was a bit shocked at the price its costing!
Lil_John
Banned

7th May 06 at 20:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

At the end of the day, you get what you pay for, cant be a bad job there doing. She might be paying more but for that price they must be doing it right.
alistairolsen

7th May 06 at 20:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

rofl, you dont get what you pay for!! folk charge what people will pay. say a good complete engine and full service is 600 quid 9service, not rebuild). 300 quid will be vat. That means theres a grand in labour. Round here garage rates are 30 quid an hour, ish. there is now way IMO it takes 33 hrs to do the swap lol.

For a used engine, your mates been taken for a ride.
Lil_John
Banned

7th May 06 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by alistairolsen
rofl, you dont get what you pay for!! folk charge what people will pay. say a good complete engine and full service is 600 quid 9service, not rebuild). 300 quid will be vat. That means theres a grand in labour. Round here garage rates are 30 quid an hour, ish. there is now way IMO it takes 33 hrs to do the swap lol.

Thats my opinion, people like you spoil forums, again in my opinion.
Karen

7th May 06 at 20:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by alistairolsen

I know, wish she had waited a spoken to me first then I could of got 1 of my friends to do it for her alot cheaper or an xe or something. Once its in she is selling it though, thats been 3k so far in engine repair bills this year
alistairolsen

7th May 06 at 20:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can understand your opinion In the case of some things, for example id expect a welder charging 30 quid an hour to do a better job than someone charging 10, and id expect 50 quid tyres to be better than 30 quid tyres, but an engine swap is either right or wrong, there is no in bbetween its not been done well. it should take a competant person a day or naybe tw at most on their own. There is no way in hell it should take a garage any monger, and no way they should be charging much more than 30 quid an hour, so therefore its a stitch up, a the numbers simply dont add up.

I agree tho that if someone gets a quote of a grand for a rebuilt engine fitted id be suspicious!!

As for people like me spoiling forums, I think not. healthy debate never hurt anyone, it just happens that in this case i think you are wrong. if I make a comment that others consider untrue id expect controversy. now pick up your toys...

[Edited on 07-05-2006 by alistairolsen]
J100RSA

7th May 06 at 20:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i hope its gold plated!
Ian
Site Administrator

7th May 06 at 20:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Lil_John
I thought his points were valid, unlike yours which is a little inflammatory. If you've a problem with a post, u2u a mod.

It is expensive, it might be a quality job as a result of this increased cost, but how much value is there in paying as much for engine work as a replacment car would have cost?
Lil_John
Banned

7th May 06 at 21:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
Originally posted by Lil_John
I thought his points were valid, unlike yours which is a little inflammatory. If you've a problem with a post, u2u a mod.

It is expensive, it might be a quality job as a result of this increased cost, but how much value is there in paying as much for engine work as a replacment car would have cost?

of course it may be right what he said but it was my opinion.

little inflammatory? nope
JadeM
Premium Member

7th May 06 at 21:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I paid £1600 for a recon 1.6 in my GSi.....that was back in 2000.

If its a proper garage & not up someones driveway - doing the belts, clutch & maybe pump at same time yer thats the cost!!
alistairolsen

7th May 06 at 21:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

for a recon 1,6 aye, not for a xxk mileage engine taken from another car!

if it was 1900 broken down as 1k engine, 600 labour and 300 vat it would be fine, but its not, its a 300 engine, 300 vat, 1300 quid rip off scenario IMO
Karen

7th May 06 at 21:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im just going on what she has told me, imo I think she has been ripped off as she dont know much about cars. Whatever price someone gives her for something she just says ok she dont question it or anything. Just wish she had spoken to me first so I could of found out more about it to save her some money,
When it was in bodyshop getting a front and back splitter and side skirts they charged her the same amount as my whole tigra respray smoothing etc cost... again ripped off as she didnt know much!
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

7th May 06 at 21:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My car had a fully reconditioned engine fitted by vauxhall by the previous owner when the cambelt snapped, and that cost £1750, including labour, VAT, oil, coolant and a new heater matrix at the same time.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Realistic price of fitting new engine etc 22 database queries in 0.1824179 seconds