Registered: 16th Jan 05
Location: Fareham, Hants Drives: Massive Honda
User status: Offline
Done 12k on the FK Highsport Coilovers now. As I intended on getting the tracking done anyway I decided to clean the old grease off and put new stuff on. Also lowered it a tinybit more on the front.
With Car on the ground opened bonnet inspected the top mount. I figured that with the weight of the car on the ground the nut might have spun off. But it didn't, so I used an 19mm Deep Socket, 6mm Allen key and set of grips to get the top mount of the shock off (Pictured Below).
Undid the 2 lower shock nuts. These are 18mm on both sides. Knocked the 2 bolts out and pulled the shock out of the wheelarch.
This was the state of the coilover when I took it off the car, All this grease has seen the salt on the roads etc over the winter.
Next up, I laid all the parts of the coilover down on my garage floor, and started cleaning all the parts off using Autoglym Engine and Machine Cleaner - Good Stuff!
Once they were all cleaned off with blue paper and degreaser, it looked like this:
Then regreased both shocks using JCB Grease. It did a good job last time.
I rebuilt the coilover once I'd cleaned up all the springs, and refitted the coilovers to the Car. I set the camber by eye, making sure the bottom of the coilover cleared the top of the tyre. (Made that mistake last time )
Made sure the bottom bolts and top mount was done up
Then took the car to get tracked. The Camber was set correctly, so that didn't need doing. Just the tracking, which cost £23.50. Took it for a test drive, and checked the bolts. All ok.
Happy now to see that the grease is doing the job of protecting the threads. And at last my tracking is sorted
[Edited on 03-05-2006 by Ian]
Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold