corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Knocking noise on c20xe corsa...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Knocking noise on c20xe corsa...
the_legend_of_yrag

User status: Offline
11th Apr 06 at 15:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

..had it a while now, coming from what seems the drivers side wheel, changed suspension too coilovers with higher poundage springs and changed all bolts on the shocks and the hub carrier. Used too feel it through all pedals when accelerating and braking, but now i can only feel it when i go over bumps!

Any ideas?

ta
tooolbox timmy

11th Apr 06 at 15:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wheel bearing or a track rod end,I would of presumed m8i
the_legend_of_yrag

11th Apr 06 at 16:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

track rod ends are fairly new, how will i know if it is that? Also how will i know if it's the bearing? Will i be able too se it?

Cheers
tooolbox timmy

11th Apr 06 at 16:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the track rod end will look worn,ie the rubber will be perished hence the knocking,the bearing ad say was more just a case of getting it out and have a look over it,a dont actually think there is a way in which you can do a check on the bearing with out seeing it,hope this is of help
the_legend_of_yrag

11th Apr 06 at 17:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok cheers mate, well had the track rod ends of when i change the steering rack over the weekend and they looked fine then, so ill pop the bearings out and have a look

cheers
myke

11th Apr 06 at 19:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you'd of had new bearings when the engine went in wont you?

Jake

11th Apr 06 at 19:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

jack the wheel up, grab hold of it at 9.15 position, wobble it and see if it moves. If its got alot of play then its the bearing
X 60RSA

11th Apr 06 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

CV joints?

Mine had no grease in, when i was full on the throttle, it didnt knock, soon i took my foot straight off the gas and took the tension out of the driveshaft.....away she knocked.

Just a thought mate.
Ant

11th Apr 06 at 23:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bottom bal joint.... the list goes on going to be a case of getting the wheel off the ground and having a good look for play!!

check wheel nuts first though lol!!!
the_legend_of_yrag

12th Apr 06 at 16:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what i've found is, my driveshaft can be pulled about an inch out of the inner cv and pushed back in but wont come out of the cv, im doing this with the hub carrier out of the way.

I gather this shouldnt be happening and the shaft should be tight into the cv and only alowed to rotate? As it does in the outer cv.

Cheers

Oh and im using an astra gsi inner cv for the drivers side!

[Edited on 12-04-2006 by the_legend_of_yrag]
the_legend_of_yrag

12th Apr 06 at 16:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive took the inner cv off the shaft, and the part inside the cv that rotates, moves back and forth alot.

But, as i said with the outer joint if i pull or push the shaft it wont move in or out of the cv.
paulo89

12th Apr 06 at 17:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nope the shaft has movement in the cv joint but c if the driveshaft bolt is loose is it tighten obviously. dont take the bearing out at all like 1 of them sed do 9.15 n shake also do 12.6 wiv the t/r/e get a bar and pry it up n down 2 c if theres play. wen its jacked up also spin the wheel by hand and listen if it sounds rough, if ur not sure jack up the other side and compare
X 60RSA

12th Apr 06 at 17:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the nut is tight and the shaft is properly located in the inner cv and outer, you probably only get a small amount of movement from left to right and up and down, no more.
the_legend_of_yrag

12th Apr 06 at 17:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the shaft and cv is normal then, ive tested for noises on the bearing before aswell, and all bolts on the engine mounts are tight. Running out of ideas it's pissing me off!
X 60RSA

12th Apr 06 at 17:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats it like on full lock when u accelerate, then brake, then accelerate again.....does it knock when u apply the brakes or accelerate?

Try full lock in both directions, accelerate, brake, then reverse.....accelerate, brake, revers etc....... still in full lock, see if it knocks then.

You often find if it is a cv joint, the tension going forwards and backwards will tell you if there is any movement in the CV, wear etc.

[Edited on 12-04-2006 by X 60RSA]
the_legend_of_yrag

12th Apr 06 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive tried turning and stuff and it fine. It knocks when i take my foot of the throttle but not all the time, when i brake hard let go brake hard let go and over harsh bumps!
X 60RSA

12th Apr 06 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by the_legend_of_yrag
ive tried turning and stuff and it fine. It knocks when i take my foot of the throttle but not all the time, when i brake hard let go brake hard let go and over harsh bumps!

Well leave your CV's on, just take the gaiters off the inners and outers and just solid pack them with grease. I didnt need a new CV, even after it had been running dry for a few weeks, its fine now.

Pack them with grease and see how you go mate.
x14xe

12th Apr 06 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have u tried something silly like wheel bolts.

I have to tighten mine up really tight whenever ive taken off my wheels, if i dont it makes the same noise you are talking about.
the_legend_of_yrag

12th Apr 06 at 18:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wheel bolts have been fine mate.

Cheers

Ill pack them with grease then and see what happens!

New Poll