corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Search facility

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Search facility
Tim
Site Administrator

User status: Offline
6th Mar 06 at 22:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've now included the 'subject' field in the search index (hence the reason Search was locked for the last hour or so).

Let me know if you think it's better or worse. Please provide example searches to backup your case either way.
Robin
Premium Member

6th Mar 06 at 22:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not working for me

and i've refreshed twice
Paul_J

6th Mar 06 at 22:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

in my opinion one of the main downsides of the current search is that you can't list results most recent first.

i.e. you were reading a post the other day, check the site 2 days later and can't see it - so you want to find it. You search for general words that may have appeared and get stuff from 2003 - 2004. I know you can limit it for a week, but still sometimes a lot of posts in a week
Tim
Site Administrator

6th Mar 06 at 22:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by robmarriott
not working for me

and i've refreshed twice

What are you searching for? And what do you mean by 'not working'?
Paul_J

6th Mar 06 at 22:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tim
quote:
Originally posted by robmarriott
not working for me

and i've refreshed twice

What are you searching for? And what do you mean by 'not working'?

I think he expected to see a field to enter a subject name to search for. I get you though, you've just made it search subject names now as well as content.
Robin
Premium Member

6th Mar 06 at 22:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes, thats what i thought you meant

being an idiot
Tim
Site Administrator

6th Mar 06 at 22:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Exactly. It searches a full-text index of both fields...
James

7th Mar 06 at 00:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice work - seems ok so far - indexes are a marvellous thing
Nismo

7th Mar 06 at 00:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
in my opinion one of the main downsides of the current search is that you can't list results most recent first.

i.e. you were reading a post the other day, check the site 2 days later and can't see it - so you want to find it. You search for general words that may have appeared and get stuff from 2003 - 2004. I know you can limit it for a week, but still sometimes a lot of posts in a week

100% with this.
Mertin

7th Mar 06 at 16:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nismo
quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J

100% with this.

i agree

i couldnt find a topic i viewed the other day, and when i searched it gave me 2003 results first and i wouldve had to go next 20, next 20 for ages
Tim
Site Administrator

7th Mar 06 at 16:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You could have just said 'last week' rather than from beginning...

It's very difficult to come to a compromise between listing posts by relevance (how well it matches your search terms), and how new it is.

That's why we let you rule out threads older than a specified value.

Any feedback on the new subject inclusion in the search? Is it easier to find matches?
James

7th Mar 06 at 17:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes much easier - have you take off the 3 character limit too? i searched for astra gsi and it seemed to work
Tim
Site Administrator

7th Mar 06 at 18:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We've just made the minimum 3 characters...

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Search facility 22 database queries in 0.0130570 seconds