corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Data Theft

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Data Theft
MikeLamb

User status: Offline
2nd Mar 06 at 18:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a question for you lot!

I run a forum with a mate, with approx 350 members. We both have admin rights to the server but I host it & pay for the hosting. We fell out last week and he decided to throw away years of trust by copying the database, deleting it and all backups off my server before setting the forum up somewhere else & emailing every member to tell them it had moved.

Its gutting to have been betrayed by a close friend of 5+ years, but rather than punching him in the face, I was wondering of theres anything that could potentailly be done legally?

I am very unlikely to do anything but if I get back to him with a load of legal babble (Ian!!) then I can at least scare him and give him that feeling wondering if hes going to get screwed over legally.

The issue of course is that I gave him access to the database, but the question is by giving him access did I give him permission to use all these peoples details in this way without my explicit permission? Or has he broken some data protection law there?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Cosmo

2nd Mar 06 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im not sure on the legal implications myself, but have heard of it happening in the past to someone I know so will see if I can get hold of them and ask what they did.

Its a lesson to not give people full access though, no matter how much you trust them!
MikeLamb

2nd Mar 06 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks Cosmo, yes very valuable lesson learned.

I just want to scare him enough into giving me the database back
James_DT

2nd Mar 06 at 20:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You could argue that the data isn't being used for the purpose it was intended. But then again, it technically is as it's being used for the same forum.
Ian
Site Administrator

3rd Mar 06 at 00:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Deleting data if you're not authorised to do so is illegal - Computer Misuse Act 1990

You would have to prove the authorisation though, as he did have admin rights. Not sure were being admin and being authorised to do whatever the hell you please stop and start tbh.

Plus its your stuff - you were paying. Might be construed as theft - intent to perminently deprive.

Not sure if there's a Data Protection Issue, only one thats springing to mind is the purpose principle as James said. Purpose is administering a forum, not facilitating a takeover.

Not sure tbh, its a complicated one.

As its free and usually worthwhile, give the Information Commissions Office helpline a call about the DP issues, see if they can suggest anything.

http://www.ico.gov.uk/eventual.aspx?pg=SR&cID=625
Kyle T
Premium Member

3rd Mar 06 at 01:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That what happened to sniffglue? We all use it at work for Ebay on the nightshift, but ill pass the message around for everyone to stop using it and find another proxy browser.

Hope you get it sorted.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
MikeLamb

3rd Mar 06 at 08:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
That what happened to sniffglue? We all use it at work for Ebay on the nightshift, but ill pass the message around for everyone to stop using it and find another proxy browser.

Hope you get it sorted.

I'll send you a link to the proxy if you get all your mates to sign onto sniffglue.co.uk and complain at "yK" -- hes the one who did it!
MikeLamb

3rd Mar 06 at 08:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Deleting data if you're not authorised to do so is illegal - Computer Misuse Act 1990

You would have to prove the authorisation though, as he did have admin rights. Not sure were being admin and being authorised to do whatever the hell you please stop and start tbh.

Plus its your stuff - you were paying. Might be construed as theft - intent to perminently deprive.

Not sure if there's a Data Protection Issue, only one thats springing to mind is the purpose principle as James said. Purpose is administering a forum, not facilitating a takeover.

Not sure tbh, its a complicated one.

As its free and usually worthwhile, give the Information Commissions Office helpline a call about the DP issues, see if they can suggest anything.

http://www.ico.gov.uk/eventual.aspx?pg=SR&cID=625

Cheers Ian..

I dont know if it makes any difference but I never actually gave him access. I used the same credentials that were used on the previous server but I never gave him permission to use this one.
Ian
Site Administrator

4th Mar 06 at 03:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So how did he come across those credentials?
Matt H

4th Mar 06 at 08:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tim told me he plans to do the same with CS
Ian
Site Administrator

4th Mar 06 at 13:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He knows I would leave him if he did.
MikeLamb

4th Mar 06 at 19:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
So how did he come across those credentials?

I moved it from one domain to another, i always use the domain as the login for the cp and one of several passwords. I used a password he knows I use, when I set it up so he could get access if needed. While I wouldnt have kept the password from him, I didn't give it to him.

Ian
Site Administrator

4th Mar 06 at 19:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So basically the password was very weak indeed, but the access wasn't actually authorised?

Thats quite illegal.
MikeLamb

4th Mar 06 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Exactly.

The password was weak is the respect that we both knew it on purpose, I set it when we were running it together.
Matt H

5th Mar 06 at 11:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
He knows I would leave him if he did.

New Poll