corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Tuned 1.6 performance

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Tuned 1.6 performance
Corsa1600

User status: Offline
13th Feb 06 at 09:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi Guys, i have a 2000 1.6 sport with just a few basic mods at the moment; kn panel filter and a full sebring system with piper decat. I have been thinking about where to go from here and the obvious choice seems to be a new inlet and unichip and exhaust manifold.

With the addition of a mantzel and unichip, what sort of horsepower do you think i will be looking at with the present modifications?

I have heard with new inlets it is sometimes necessary to up the rev limit to get the most out of them, can a unichip do this?

Also, what sort of performance do you think i will be looking at 0-60 etc. Just want to weigh up the costs and benefits.

Cheers guys.
Siberia

13th Feb 06 at 09:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

140-150ish with new inlet... with a raised rev limit some engine strengthing in the way or arp rod bolts would be adviseable... although broster of here ran for ages on standard bolts at 7200RPM( i wouldnt recomend this though)
Corsa1600

13th Feb 06 at 10:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers siberia, that sounds like an awesome gain. Can a unichip raise the rev limit of do you have to get a superchip in addition or something?

Any idea what sort of 0-60 it would pull?

How much do the strengthening bolts cost?
5chaap2k

13th Feb 06 at 10:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

for hardcore tuning and no care of the expenses:

- SBD or Jenvey TB kit
- Megasquirt dta or other management
- SBD Vernier campulleys
- SBD Cam kit
- RR Remap

If you want to get a good result for lesser expenses and keep the fuel economy a wee bit normal:

- Mantzel powerbox (www.mantzel.de)
- (maybe) some cams
- Unichip or RR-remap
Corsa1600

13th Feb 06 at 10:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah i would go for throttle bodies but i am a student so dont have quite enough resources for this. Mantzel and unichip however i could probably run to. How difficult is it to fir one of these mantzel jobbies? Can an amateur mechanic do it?

Am also thinking about the 2.0 transplant; i know most people put the older xe in but has anyone started putting the newer 2.0 xev engine in? i know its not quite as powerful but if im going to take out an engine with 35k on the clock i dont want to put one in with 2 or 3 times that. Also, Could you keep the air con unit in with a 2.0 transplant?

Cheers
Dean_W

13th Feb 06 at 11:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa1600
yeah i would go for throttle bodies but i am a student so dont have quite enough resources for this. Mantzel and unichip however i could probably run to. How difficult is it to fir one of these mantzel jobbies? Can an amateur mechanic do it?

The powerbox is a farily easy fit, just a bit fiddly. In order to do the job properly, you need to run the coolant hoses to the throttle body, this is a pain in the arse. So is linking up the vacum hoses. It took me and a mechanic around 2 and a half hours. I would reccomend the powerbox, makes the car howl past 5k, and you can always do other bits, cams, headwork etc. and then save up for some TB's.

You can get mantzel's new from Mantzel themselves in Germany. www.mantzel.de

Corsa1600

13th Feb 06 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wow that sounds great Dean. So can you really notice the difference the mantzel makes? Are you running a dastek or anything with it? Increases rev limit?

What sort of 0-60 do you think you get and what power? Cheers mate

Anyone got any ideas on the 2.0 queries?
Dean_W

13th Feb 06 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep, a lot of difference. My exhaust has been blowing for a couple of weeks. Sorted this on Saturday, the car does go like a train, loads more torque, and flies at 5K. I really need to raise the limit, as i only have about 1800 RPM before i have to change. It's running standard management ATM, but when the head and cams get fitted, it will be RR'd and mapped.

If you were putting a Mantzel on, try to get a exhaust manifold ASAP, makes a lot of differene.

I did a run with my mate timing, not very accurate, got around 8 for the 0-60.

Corsa1600

13th Feb 06 at 13:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats not bad at all is it really! what is it like pulling up to 90-100ish? it continuous pull?

Im really jsut wondering whther to go for it, go for the 2.0 or even stop spending moeny ont he car and save up for something quicker as standard!

Do you know if a dastek for example can raise the limit?

Yeah i would certainly be buying an exhaust manifold for it!
Dean_W

13th Feb 06 at 13:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pulls in triple figures now, something it didn't like to do standard

I thought about a 2.0, but decided a fooking quick 1.6 was a better idea. More money, but hey never mind.

I think a unichip can raise the rev limit, but don't hold me, not too sure.

Try searching Dastek on google.
broster
Premium Member

13th Feb 06 at 13:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

130-140bhp would be a good aim, 0-60 in 8 or less if you strip it out... will be a nice little car. unichip do offer a raised rev limit feature but i think its additional cost.
i ran standard bolts with a 7200 limit, no problems, now running standard rods and pistons with 8500 limit... i use 8k regularly....
Corsa1600

13th Feb 06 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers for the replies dean! been a great help! sounds like you have a great car now!

am thinknig about reducung weight a bit, maybe some bucket seats and, carbon fibre bonnet maybe!

Broster, you are running standard bolts etc with an 8.5k limit, sounds incredible! With a lw mileage engine i guess they should be ok! How have you increased your limit? what sort of 0-60 does your car pull Broster?

Cheers
Siberia

13th Feb 06 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

brosters car is a little more tuned than most... trottle boddies... standalone management and the like... oh and absoulutly no interior
Rileysport

13th Feb 06 at 14:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Siberia
brosters car is a little more gay than most... trottle boddies... standalone management and the like... oh and absoulutly no interior

broster
Premium Member

13th Feb 06 at 14:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SRi-Co
quote:
brosters car is a little more gay than most... trottle boddies... standalone management and the like... oh and absoulutly no interior

no need.

i have a very limited interior in my car now.... 0-60 in the 6 second region, 180bhp..... so none to shabby... engine is freschly rebuild and it has pocketed standard pistons and arp rod bolts. standard rods tho. also have sbd metal rollers.... well worth it.
Corsa1600

13th Feb 06 at 14:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

broster, so do you think a guesstimate of 8 secs is reasonable for a 1.6 with mantzel, unichip, decat exhaust and manifold? and in term of weight reduction, say bucket seats in the front?

i dont have quite as much money to spend on her as ive been a niversity student for 3 years and have at least another two to go!

If it is worth it i will do it, just need to weigh it up
broster
Premium Member

13th Feb 06 at 14:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im still a uni student, in my final year..... its hard to keep it running.
if you think the car does 0-60 in 9.5 standard 8seconds aint bad really.... weight reduction is not worth doing unles syou do it properly IMO look in my garage for pics....
Rileysport

13th Feb 06 at 14:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by broster
quote:
Originally posted by SRi-Co
quote:

no need.

i have a very limited interior in my car now.... 0-60 in the 6 second region, 180bhp..... so none to shabby... engine is freschly rebuild and it has pocketed standard pistons and arp rod bolts. standard rods tho. also have sbd metal rollers.... well worth it.

i love your car really... give you 8.69 and a bacon double cheeseburger for it ???
broster
Premium Member

13th Feb 06 at 14:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

XL bacon double and we have a deal
Corsa1600

13th Feb 06 at 15:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah thats not bad at all, do you think that is realistic with the modifications mentioned? how much did your throttle body set up cost?

its only got 36k on the clock so dont really want to throw it away, plus i like the air con, can you still have the air con fitted with a 2.0 lump?

have you been out in a 2.0 powered corsa? what are they compared to a medium tuned 1.6? i have been in neither so its a bit of an unknown to me!

are you from northampton? not too far from me, i live 10-15 mins from wellingborough!

cheers
broster
Premium Member

13th Feb 06 at 15:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah i live in northampton. in a lecture right now so cant really chat on here now, will do later tho when i get in....
Corsa1600

13th Feb 06 at 15:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok mate, that would be great! you seem to know a bit about the whole tuning lark! lark!

do you use msn messenger?
Rileysport

13th Feb 06 at 15:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thing i'll say about a 2.0 corsa, all the rubbish about handling being crap is exactly that... rubbish
Corsa1600

13th Feb 06 at 15:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

SRi-Co, that interesting to hear! Is it the XE lump you have in yours?

If i were to put an XE or XEV in, would i need to change my front FK Supertec springs or could they handle it? Id i reduced the the weight at the front with bucket seats ans maybe a carbon bonnet or something!

Can you retain aircon with a 2.0 conversion?

Cheers mate
broster
Premium Member

13th Feb 06 at 15:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i still say a 1.6 will handle better, end of, im not the only one to say it. people who build the engines say it will handle better..... they race cars so they know... why did vauxhall build the super 1600? they could get good power from it to win classes and it handled well

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll