corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » good example of the difference between a point & click camera and a dSLR

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author good example of the difference between a point & click camera and a dSLR
vibrio
Banned

User status: Offline
8th Dec 05 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/samsungpro815/page14.asp

shows the difference in noise between the two.
Paul

9th Dec 05 at 01:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That just goes to show how bad point and click can actually be.
Melville

9th Dec 05 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah but if you consider the price difference, the fact you need to carry a much bigger camera round with you and possibly diferent lenses or another camera it makes sense for some people to use a point and click. Its all I have and it does me fine what my needs.

I suppose you could compare it to cars in a way. Every one wants to have the best car available, just as everyone wants to take fantastic shots, but I for one cant afford a £50,000 Merc or equivalent so I will have to do with my very nice Astra Sports Hatch.
vibrio
Banned

9th Dec 05 at 12:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

who would want a merc
Melville

9th Dec 05 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by vibrio
who would want a merc

I love Mercs, dont tell me you wouldnt have one...

But I did also say equivilant
vibrio
Banned

9th Dec 05 at 12:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Melville
quote:
who would want a merc

I love Mercs, dont tell me you wouldnt have one...

But I did also say equivilant

no I'd not have one. they are very GHEY
Melville

9th Dec 05 at 12:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tiger

9th Dec 05 at 16:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But, i'll put my 2penneth in.

This is just one example that I wish to express.

Take two of the many cameras I own: My Nikon F3 SLR and my Olympus MJUII 35mm compact (prime)

Using the same film (usually Portra 400VC) there is very negligable difference. This could be put down to the Olympus having excellent optics for a compact.

There are obvious advantages for using one or the other but the Nikon out performs the Olympus for obvious reasons, the sheer engineering and precise mechanism for a start, but yeah, you get what you pay for but as far as compacts go, ive had shit ones but my MJUII is an absolutely outstanding camera both for features and picture quality. Ive even ran colour slide through it and the pictures where very impressive even with the tight boundaries of the stuff.

Ben.
John

9th Dec 05 at 19:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tiger
But, i'll put my 2penneth in.

This is just one example that I wish to express.

Take two of the many cameras I own: My Nikon F3 SLR and my Olympus MJUII 35mm compact (prime)

Using the same film (usually Portra 400VC) there is very negligable difference. This could be put down to the Olympus having excellent optics for a compact.

There are obvious advantages for using one or the other but the Nikon out performs the Olympus for obvious reasons, the sheer engineering and precise mechanism for a start, but yeah, you get what you pay for but as far as compacts go, ive had shit ones but my MJUII is an absolutely outstanding camera both for features and picture quality. Ive even ran colour slide through it and the pictures where very impressive even with the tight boundaries of the stuff.

Ben.

imo there will be more of a difference between the digital ones as apposed to film.
Is it not mainly to do with optic quality if you are using the same film.
The quality of the optics on the digital ones are only a small part of the whole thing.
Tiger

9th Dec 05 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmm, I think you'll find that lens quality as far as glass and optics are concerned anyway account for a huge jump in quality of print, else all the pros would be shooting with sigma and tamron lenses and not manufacturers lenses.

Theres a loss of sharpness in lower priced lenses.

I think you're part correct in your last sentence though, the quality of the optics IS only a small part of the whole thing, but, the same camera (Nikon D70) for example and a top of the line 300mm Nikon lense would be a great quality than the same lens by Tamron or Sigma (Im using these as an example because they are a good aftermarket lens.)
Tiger

9th Dec 05 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I noticed a huge difference in picture quality from an old Pentax ME some 10 years ago when I used 2 lenses of the same condition but by different manufacturers.

[Edited on 09-12-2005 by Tiger]
Tiger

9th Dec 05 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think in summary, the truths sticks with the saying:

"You get what you pay for"

John

9th Dec 05 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think you misunderstood, Basically what I was trying to say was with film cameras the lense makes all the difference.
With digital there is more in the equation than just the lense.
Although at the end of the day, yes you do normally get what you pay for.
vibrio
Banned

9th Dec 05 at 21:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

with film the lenses count for more because taking a picture with the differnet camera's but same lenses will give you the same picture. with digital you can put the same lense on a D70, D50, D2X and get different contrast, colour, sharpness.
John

9th Dec 05 at 21:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
with film the lenses count for more because taking a picture with the differnet camera's but same lenses will give you the same picture. with digital you can put the same lense on a D70, D50, D2X and get different contrast, colour, sharpness.

Yes.
Tiger

10th Dec 05 at 00:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I only wish I could use my 70-300mm Nikon lens on my 35mm and get the greater focal length and associated speed as I would with the same lense but on digital I cant remember what equivalent increase it gives though...
Tiger

10th Dec 05 at 00:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

I think this works to a degree, but again with celly I still think there are quality differences using bottom and top end cameras with the same lense, but more geared to the mirror mechanism, focal plane flatness (I have studied some edge to edge distortion before in the body), light traps, meter accuracy etc.
vibrio
Banned

10th Dec 05 at 09:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I only wish I could use my 70-300mm Nikon lens on my 35mm and get the greater focal length and associated speed as I would with the same lense but on digital I cant remember what equivalent increase it gives though...

nikon's crop is 1.5x
vibrio
Banned

10th Dec 05 at 10:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

I think this works to a degree, but again with celly I still think there are quality differences using bottom and top end cameras with the same lense, but more geared to the mirror mechanism, focal plane flatness (I have studied some edge to edge distortion before in the body), light traps, meter accuracy etc.

your not going to be abe to tell the difference with the naked eye
Tiger

10th Dec 05 at 10:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But like I was always taught, its the difference between a good print and a fine print. I used to make 5 test prints before I was happy enough with the end result. Its the method of working that helps me see things that might not be visable to everyones naked eye.
mk4_astra

10th Dec 05 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

anyone know what the differences are between prosumer and slr digi cams?
vibrio
Banned

10th Dec 05 at 14:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

canons pro camera's are the 1d series. these have no flash, no scene mods, have large batteries and are weather proofed.

1dsmk2 16mp £5400
1dmk2 8mp £2600
1ds 12mp ?????? S/H
1d 4mp £1200 S/H

prosumer would be 20D, 5D, 350D, 300D.
Ian
Site Administrator

12th Dec 05 at 00:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1D are cheaper than that now.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » good example of the difference between a point & click camera and a dSLR 23 database queries in 0.0095739 seconds