corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » xe crank sensor problem?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author xe crank sensor problem?
Martin_C

User status: Offline
30th Nov 05 at 21:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mates xe nova was running fine the other day til he went to drive home from work, engine is turning over but no spark or fuel (low voltage to fuel pump).

had a few suggestions of ht leads, crank sensor etc.

so tried the crank sensor...

was told that if the sensor itself has stopped workin the car would run in a safe mode, only revving to 3000rpm, but its just totally dead.

muppetsport said that if its just totally goosed the car wont get spark or fuel at all...

as you can see, it looked pretty shagged

it was covered in black tape, cos the casing was broken i assume, and the black wire is still attached but the yellow is totally rotten and broken off.

as this looks totally scrap, i assume thats why the engine wont fire? just want to make sure as a new one from vauxhall is £88 + vat
Sly_SRi
Premium Member

30th Nov 05 at 22:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Muppetsport is right, If the crank sensor has gone the engine won't start at all. Controls fuel and ignition.

You can get them cheaper from autovaux. I recently purchased one...although i'm not totally sure I need it...

Corsa C Z20Let

Black Sleeper Turbo Project
Martin_C

30th Nov 05 at 22:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you dont give me a shout mate, theres a guy on ebay sells new ones for about £40 delivered, gonna phone him tomorrow after trying a mates one to see if its defo that that is the problem
myke

30th Nov 05 at 23:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would suspect fuel pump relay before replacing the crank sensor unless it's literally screwed.
that has effect on spark and fuel and is a whole sight cheaper than the crank sensor.

also, i wouldn't have thought crank sensor would effect fueling really?
Martin_C

30th Nov 05 at 23:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well the shielding around the wires is pumped, the yellow wire has fallen off, i'd say its screwed

wheres the fuel pump relay on an xe/nova?
Sly_SRi
Premium Member

30th Nov 05 at 23:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fuel pump relay on my xe is on the end of the loom, just follow the wiring loom to the very end and they'll be the relay. near where it goes onto the coilpack.

You may be right myke, i'm not 100% sure on whether it effects fueling. Injectors might run from cam position sensor.

Corsa C Z20Let

Martin_C

30th Nov 05 at 23:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i shall try both tomorrow lads.
Sly_SRi
Premium Member

30th Nov 05 at 23:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

judging by the pics i'd definately have that changed anyway, only gonna cause trouble in the future...if it isn't already!

Corsa C Z20Let

myke

30th Nov 05 at 23:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Martin_C
well the shielding around the wires is pumped, the yellow wire has fallen off, i'd say its screwed

wheres the fuel pump relay on an xe/nova?

just thought it might be worth trying fpr first as its about a tenth of the price of the crank sensor.
borrow someone elses if you have a friend with the same engine.
mine is about 2.5' from the grommet where the loom comes through the bulkhead on the bay side. i put mine under the scuttle, but couldn't say where yours might be. it's the only relay on that side of the loo though so should be easy to find.

[edit because just realised fuel pump relay and fuel pressure regulator have the same accronyms. i meant pump relay]

[Edited on 30-11-2005 by myke]
deanmcreynolds26

1st Dec 05 at 08:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u can use the crank sensor from most big block vaux's martin! 1.8 8v, 2.0 8v etc, u get the idea
Stu

1st Dec 05 at 09:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had the same problem on my old xe. Car just decided to cut out one day and then wouldnt start. Crank sensor was the problem.

Apparently theres a magnet in there which senses the crank turning - This then send a signal to the ECU to tell it to fire everything else.

Id say they are pretty twitchy to be honest and that one in the pic is well fooked!

Stu
Martin_C

1st Dec 05 at 22:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tried a new crank sensor, no joy, tried a diff fuel pump relay, no joy, and another, no joy

really running out of ideas guys.
ed

1st Dec 05 at 23:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They are £45 from Autovaux
ed

1st Dec 05 at 23:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'll have a bit of trouble using one from an 8v too, they are a right bigger to get off because of the way the wire is routed
Martin_C

1st Dec 05 at 23:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i've got a loan of a good working one just now mate, found autovaux already

someone suggested the shielding on the crank sensor could have caused problems as it was badly frayed and damaged the ecu, possibly that?
Sly_SRi
Premium Member

2nd Dec 05 at 00:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seems unlikely, but its possible. Easiest to find somone with a c20xe and swap parts until it works! but this may not be feasible.

Corsa C Z20Let

Martin_C

2nd Dec 05 at 00:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats what i've been doing, dont really want to try an ecu in case it fries, might try the ecu we have in another car, if it dont work, then thats the fault!
deanmcreynolds26

2nd Dec 05 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its an XE world full of problems
Martin_C

3rd Dec 05 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tried the ecu in an xe cavvy, but the part numbers are different, so the car didnt fire, i'm assuming that was the prob, so cant rule the ecu out yet!

New Poll