corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Anyone clued up on Law? Need advice.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Anyone clued up on Law? Need advice.
mestonian

User status: Offline
27th Nov 05 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

At my previous work place i had a document containing some very personal information on my computer. I left here at the beginning of October, but bumped into a guy i worked with whilst out in Leeds.

He told me that my boss had found this document, and being making the content public knowledge around the IT department. He told me of information he would not of known without seeing this document.

Is there anything i can do about this?
Ian
Site Administrator

27th Nov 05 at 18:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Legally he probably owns the document as its stored on a computer he owns, especially if it was made in work time and you have a clause in the contract about work owning stuff that you make while you're there. I do in the college, so if I make lesson notes for use in the college, they then belong to the college not me, so I can't sell them to other people etc. and they must be made available for whoever takes over.

There might be some sort of deformation of character angle depending on what the exact content and context of the information is.
mestonian

27th Nov 05 at 18:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ian,

The firm is a debt management firm, which for obvious reasons has very strict regulations regarding data protection, and the release of personal information etc.

The document contained outstanding debts, bills, payments, and legal information.

I have also been told by another person that this could be construed as deformation of character due to the personal nature of the documents contents, and also the fact that firms regulations anyway would suggest that if my boss was making this public knowledge, what else, and about whom else, would he be likely to disclose.
Ian
Site Administrator

27th Nov 05 at 18:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm quite sure that there's something in Data Protection Act that you can use. Phone these chaps.

http://www.informationcommissioner.gov.uk/eventual.aspx?pg=Contact%20Us

[Edited on 27-11-2005 by Ian]
AuroraSport

27th Nov 05 at 18:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im sure this is data protection act contravention...disclosing personal data without your consent is an offence. whether or not the computer is 'his' property is not the point.

if he accidently found it he should've kept it to himself...rang you for your opinion on what he should do with it rather than get a few cheap laughs at your expense

Ian
Site Administrator

27th Nov 05 at 18:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa_munky
whether or not the computer is 'his' property is not the point.
That was while I didn't know the content of the document.
mestonian

27th Nov 05 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
im sure this is data protection act contravention...disclosing personal data without your consent is an offence. whether or not the computer is 'his' property is not the point.

if he accidently found it he should've kept it to himself...rang you for your opinion on what he should do with it rather than get a few cheap laughs at your expense

I would totally agree with this. My personal opinion is that if he came across the document by accident, then to destroy the information. He served to gain no benefit from showing this information around, and therefore there is no reasoning behind it.

Thanks a lot for the help guys its very much appreciated.
Ian
Site Administrator

27th Nov 05 at 18:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its also unprofessional given the nature of the business - are his superiors aware?
mestonian

27th Nov 05 at 18:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Its also unprofessional given the nature of the business - are his superiors aware?

Very true. I have a very close relationship with the CEO of the firm, as it was himself who originally hired me as he knew me personally. I think from the beginning my line manager did not like this, as i knew the top boss on a personal level.

I have made the CEO aware of the situation, and explained the embarrasment caused to hear that this personal information has been made public knowledge, also expressing your point above, that given the nature of the business itself, this is very unprofessional.

Im sure he will see this from my point of view, but im un-sure if he will actually do anything about it, and have a distinct feeling that it may be too much like hard work for him to get involved if you know what i mean.
AuroraSport

27th Nov 05 at 18:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mestonian
Im sure he will see this from my point of view, but im un-sure if he will actually do anything about it, and have a distinct feeling that it may be too much like hard work for him to get involved if you know what i mean.

if he wont do anything then you can threaten legal action...see the page that ian posted above, loads of advice on what to do in these situations
mestonian

27th Nov 05 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mestonian

if he wont do anything then you can threaten legal action...see the page that ian posted above, loads of advice on what to do in these situations

This would be costly and i wouldnt stand to benefit would i?
AuroraSport

27th Nov 05 at 18:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i suppose it all depends on the content of the data tbh, you would stand to get compensation if your boss revealed certain details over others if you get what i mean. best to investigate your options really.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Anyone clued up on Law? Need advice. 22 database queries in 0.0102868 seconds