corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 2 litre vs 1.6 16v.

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 2 litre vs 1.6 16v.
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

User status: Offline
2nd Nov 05 at 00:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

over the years there has been loads of posts on this subject.

so

on sunday we finally completed the conversion on chris's (username Viperboy) 2.0 16v corsa. got it all running nicely and took it out for a run. pulls really well, as you would expect from a 2l corsa. also got a chance to get my 1.6 16v on throttle bodies all set up on the laptop (had a dodgy throttle position sensor) and fitted my new omex 3 bar fuel pressure regulator. both cars are putting out very similar power figures.

took both cars out for a quick test, had a good idea of what would happen and all was as expected. my 1.6 turned into corners/roundabouts so much better and was a lot more stable in the bends, carried speed through the bends with much less effort. it also pulled much better out of the bends and gained a car length over the 2.0l with ease. was a lot quicker up to 60mph.

then after 70mph the tables turned and the 2.0l pulled past my 1.6 with ease.

in conclusion, i love the way both engines perform. i would be happy driving both but i love the way my 1.6 handles. seems a lot more stable and less 'unsure' than the 2.0l i can definately tell the difference of the extra weight.

before anyone starts, all tests were done on a deserted industrial estate at 11pm on sunday night. very wide roads and no side turnings onto it. if we did see any other cars/ people we slowed down until it was all clear again. all i need now is more power
mossy

2nd Nov 05 at 01:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

spend same ammount tunin the xe..ie tb's then do it again lol

used to love my gsi
mwg

2nd Nov 05 at 09:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can appreciate that but how much does it cost to do a 2.0 16v conversion and how much has the throttle body set up cost you...

Good stuff though all the same
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

2nd Nov 05 at 10:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matty G
I can appreciate that but how much does it cost to do a 2.0 16v conversion and how much has the throttle body set up cost you...

knew someone would ask that

xe conversion around £1500 once a new belt, clutch, sump gasket, a few sensors and all the other broken bits that you get on a 12 year old engine and engine crane hire was paid for.

throttle bodies and managementcost me £1200 + 400 for mapping at noble motrosport and a further £400 ish for a full DIY rebuild arp's and sbd rollers.

so xe was £1500 and 1.6 was £2000 BUT i have a fully rebuilt fresh engine that i shouldnt get any problems with. it also will do 90 miles to £10 and i have fully programmable engine management with scope for a lot more power.. how reliable is a 12 year old xe with 95k? and the xe does £65 miles to £10 driving it carefully
broster
Premium Member

2nd Nov 05 at 10:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa808
quote:
Originally posted by Matty G

knew someone would ask that

xe conversion around £1500 once a new belt, clutch, sump gasket, a few sensors and all the other broken bits that you get on a 12 year old engine and engine crane hire was paid for.

throttle bodies and managementcost me £1200 + 400 for mapping at noble motrosport and a further £400 ish for a full DIY rebuild arp's and sbd rollers.

so xe was £1500 and 1.6 was £2000 BUT i have a fully rebuilt fresh engine that i shouldnt get any problems with. it also will do 90 miles to £10 and i have fully programmable engine management with scope for a lot more power.. how reliable is a 12 year old xe with 95k? and the xe does £65 miles to £10 driving it carefully

how many miles do you get to a full tank in your 1.6 dude? im struggeling to get over 170 pmsl!
mwg

2nd Nov 05 at 10:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I reckon a C20XE conversion with a rebuilt engine could be done for less than the cost of the throttle body set up.

Whats the 1.6 like to drive if you drive it normally? (not ragging it) does it run a bit rough and jerky or just like a normal 1.6 when your not giving it a bit of stick?
Adam-D

2nd Nov 05 at 10:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the way i see it
the 2ltr cora must be able to handle because if it didnt they would not put 2 ltr's into rallycross cars and the like
broster
Premium Member

2nd Nov 05 at 10:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my 1.6 on tb's drives great when driving it thru town.... cold idle is a bit iffy, but after 2mins thats fine.
Stu

2nd Nov 05 at 10:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

After having a 2.0 and a 2.0 on throttle bodies Id still go for a tuned 1.6 myself!

corsa120

2nd Nov 05 at 19:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

adam-d thats one point i tryed to make in similar post, im well into my rallying and ur right most rally corsa's do use 2.0 16v, and so do formula 3000 i think it is, as fotec motorsport are up road from me and there superlight carbon bodies still use xe on carbs with sequential gearboxes lovely like working near em when they rev fuck outta them

if u can make this SUPPOSIDLY very heavy lump perform on very loose/rough terrain then im gonna treat my answer with contempt it deserves and leave ppl to make there own conclusions lol

each to there own end of day, and corsa808 my xe has not had problem since my conversion runs soooo sweet, quiter than both my small block xe's i owned and no tapping and thoroughly i think is better engine, my small block xe's were nout but trouble and even managed to kill 1.4 after 6 months of abuse, bottom end shells had ground into all cylinders of crank believe its called oil serge well kool

if ur much faster upto 60mph corsa808 u must be pulling it in 5secs odd as ive had 6.9 outta my xe with gps

[Edited on 02-11-2005 by corsa120]
jr

2nd Nov 05 at 19:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive hit 6.9 in my 1.6

after having the chance to drive a few xe'd corsa loads of times, id still have my 1.6
Adam_B

2nd Nov 05 at 19:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thrashing round an industrial estate we need a cs track day to test it properly
corsa120

2nd Nov 05 at 19:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if some1 like me or fad was to race jr/broster though u still both have the no interior gain over the other this has no regard to what engine u got

and by way ppl talk losing interior makes massive difference so theres a gain there
broster
Premium Member

2nd Nov 05 at 19:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its the whole point of the tuned 1.6 thing tho, you need to strip the cora it has less torque, stripping it makes up for that. shame we couldnt have a test run the other night carl, would have been interesting!! im not commenting on this thread about which is better, as i have said in the past its personal preferance!

reminds me now i have wired up a fag lighter in my car i can test my 0-60 again when the roads dry out!

[Edited on 02-11-2005 by broster]
corsa120

2nd Nov 05 at 19:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im not commenting on what is better mark but read what corsa808 put like he put 12YR OLD KANACKERED ENGINES if this is case why does mine run better than both my small block xe's

we will have go one day mark its just my ball joint and stuff was knackered will be ready next time m8y

yeh all im saying is to take on u mark fairly we need stripped xe corsa to ur extent

[Edited on 02-11-2005 by corsa120]
jamesvalver

2nd Nov 05 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1.6 is the way 2go! rally cars can use 2.0 n get away wit out handlin probs coz there built 4 the rally environment and set up different conditions. i wouldnt of thought the xe would b much heavier (correct me if im wrong) but i weight can make a big dif on a front wheel drive lil car. xe's r quick in straight line but 4 everyday use, its gotta b the 16xe's
jr

2nd Nov 05 at 19:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Adam_B

or how about a cs industrial estate day
corsa120

2nd Nov 05 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that could be fun lol
jr

2nd Nov 05 at 19:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa120
if some1 like me or fad was to race jr/broster though u still both have the no interior gain over the other this has no regard to what engine u got

and by way ppl talk losing interior makes massive difference so theres a gain there

but the reason we/ve stripped them is to make up for what were losing out on the xe's

xe'd corsa such's as fads dont handle badly either, but mine will still outhandle it any day of the week, which is why i ahve the set up i have
broster
Premium Member

2nd Nov 05 at 19:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im game for a track day when ever, just waiting for the next one really.....

carl, i know you wernt commenting, was just saying i wont lol
Adam_B

2nd Nov 05 at 19:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jr
quote:

broster
Premium Member

2nd Nov 05 at 19:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jr
quote:

can it be downhill?
jr

2nd Nov 05 at 19:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes, and anyone using throttle bodies as the have the trumpets for cyclinder 2 and 3 blocked off to make it fair
corsa120

2nd Nov 05 at 19:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fair comment jr but 1.6 are supposed to be far superior lol so why does it need helping hand lol
broster
Premium Member

2nd Nov 05 at 19:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jr
yes, and anyone using throttle bodies as the have the trumpets for cyclinder 2 and 3 blocked off to make it fair

not sure i like this game any more..... anyway i dont have tb's, i erm......i......... shit yes i do

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 2 litre vs 1.6 16v. 22 database queries in 0.1895020 seconds