corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Paint Stripping

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Paint Stripping
ed

User status: Offline
29th Oct 05 at 17:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I need to strip all the paint off my car to get it back to bare metal. I was thinking that it's would be a little tedious sanding it all down so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of how to do this... Paint stripper perhaps? Or can you rent out media blasters that don't need to be used in booths? I have been looking on hire sites and the only stuff I can find is for removing graffiti...
Richie

29th Oct 05 at 17:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only proper way to do it would be using an orbital sander or sandblasting.
ed

29th Oct 05 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did you sand the paint off of Tims car?
dna23

29th Oct 05 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can't u have it acid dipped?
ed

29th Oct 05 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That would take the under seal off, and would also be a hell of a lot of work....
CorsAsh

29th Oct 05 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you strip it down to shell, you can usually take it to a place where they'll use what looks like a big fire hose and sandblast it. Seen it done on whole chassis before.
ed

29th Oct 05 at 17:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats when they blast it with walnut shells isn't it? I would rather not have to strip the shell completely, I guess sanding is the best option then....
CorsAsh

29th Oct 05 at 17:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

walnut shells???
ed

29th Oct 05 at 17:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea, so it just takes the paint off... I think there are small glass beads in there too. It's to stop the metal from being worn away...
Graeme
Premium Member

29th Oct 05 at 17:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why do u need to get it back to bare metal cos that means ur gona have to etch prime it all up again then rub it down then paint it again?
corsa_godfather

29th Oct 05 at 17:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just need to watch the sand blasting doesnt damage any panels
ed

29th Oct 05 at 17:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by C4 WLK
why do u need to get it back to bare metal cos that means ur gona have to etch prime it all up again then rub it down then paint it again?
The re-spray was painted straight onto the old red paint and is flaking off. You also can't re-spray over a metal flake finish because the paint would end up being about an inch thick as where the paint was applied properly there is a lot of laquer.... I need to get the crap that Midas Styling did off so that it can all be re- done properly...
prelude_2004
Banned

29th Oct 05 at 17:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

best way would be strip the shell out completely windows seats dash the lot and put paint stripper on it, but it would cost sum pennys in paint stripper if u dont use it right best way is to leave it over nite on it aswell, if u know sumone with a heavy duty jet wash thts hits warm water out spray the car off the nexted day and u should have bare metal but then u still have to da it dont with 180 grip then wet flat it, then metal under primare then primare then priamre again then paint so it is a lot off work and has to be dun propally or u will just fuck up the colour when u paint it and it will look shit matey
prelude_2004
Banned

29th Oct 05 at 17:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u wont get all the paint off like round the edges and stuff but would do it ok or get it sand blasted but tht shit hurts when it hits u lol
Graeme
Premium Member

29th Oct 05 at 18:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmm sand blasting would be the esiest but can destort the pannels alot!!
u could try just 40 grit on it all over with a very powerful DA but could be there for a long time and could again destort the panels!!

ed

29th Oct 05 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Guess I'm in for a few hundred hours of work then over Christmas then
prelude_2004
Banned

29th Oct 05 at 18:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well the longer u take the better the finish at the end fuck up the starting process and u can fuck up the finish mate
Graeme
Premium Member

29th Oct 05 at 18:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well not that many!!

buy sum bloody strong paint striper, and then get sum plastic sheeting which u smooth onto to panel and leave for a gd while!!

then start scrapping the paint off!!!
ed

29th Oct 05 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea, Nitromors will do a pretty good job, and I think you can buy it in large quantities too... I want everything to be perfect this time round
broster
Premium Member

30th Oct 05 at 08:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

reshell it.... would be easier... or do you have blended in arches etc
ed

30th Oct 05 at 10:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's no point, it's clean, low milage and all I need is a re-spray....
cossie_corsa

30th Oct 05 at 10:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ed, took me ages to sand off my crystal flakes cos i had about 2 litres of black, 3.5 litres of flake/base blender and st least 7 coats of laquer. in the end i used an industrial floor scraper(very sharp). sounds very unorthadox but it was takin the paint off in full sheets the thickness of photo paper. on other parts i just had to persevere. its gonna be fun for you lol.
ed

30th Oct 05 at 10:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was thinking of using the new stuff from Nitromors, it's paint stripper, but you leave it on the pannel for 24 hours rather than 10 mins...

Whatever I do, it's going to be fun. I'm lucky because my paintjob is proper crap at the moment and is only at proper thickness in a few places, in other places like on the sideskirts I could take it off with my fingernail it's so thin...
ed

30th Oct 05 at 10:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not sure what to do in the engine bay though... I'm gonna take the engine out, as I can do it in about an hour , to spray it properly as it's only hamerited at the top. Would I just need to clean it all and then rub it down a little or would the old red have to come off too?
Mistamist

30th Oct 05 at 10:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nitromors, i used it on my bonnet as it has the same problem as you, paint it on with a brush, leave for 10 mins, paint on again, another 10 mins then a final coat and leave for 20 mins then get a wallpaper scraper and the paint just falls off, then wash the paint remover off.

i washed with water then wiped it completely dry, then wipe with meths, get a scotchbrite pad and rub the metal, then prime with bare metal primer, then filler primer to get rid of any scratch/swirl marks.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Paint Stripping 22 database queries in 0.1841929 seconds