corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » tiscali speed problems.....

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author tiscali speed problems.....
Mase
Premium Member

User status: Offline
20th Oct 05 at 22:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i signed up to tiscali 2mb broadband and were running it through a belkin wireless router. I did a speed test earlier and i'm getting 199 kbps downstream and 212 kbps upstream, which seems a bit low to me !!!

Also the router sometimes doesn't assign an IP address to the computer even though the computer can find the network...... any ideas ???

I know this should prob be in geek day, but i'm going offline soon, so need a quick answer !!!

Cheers people !!!!!

Mase
Dan. T

20th Oct 05 at 22:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I though NTL had just bought Tiscali???
Mase
Premium Member

20th Oct 05 at 22:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dunno, but either way there gettin a call 2morrow cos i ain't payin £18 a month an gettin the equivalent of 256k !!

Mase
Dan B

20th Oct 05 at 23:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plenty more people having problems with Tiscali here...
Kyle T
Premium Member

22nd Oct 05 at 17:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you look on the Tiscali forums, apparently theyre looking into it.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Mase
Premium Member

22nd Oct 05 at 17:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah i've had a quick look, but you'd a thought they would have sorted out there problems before allowing other people to join the network like me.

Lets just hope they get it sorted soon cos im sharing the internet with 4 other lads, so it's pretty slow at the min !!

Mase
Kyle T
Premium Member

22nd Oct 05 at 17:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, I signed up for tiscali a week or so before you posted this, and it all arrived the day before yesturday.

My Download speeds are ok, however my BF2 Ping is a rite crock o shit most of the time

[Edited on 22-10-2005 by Kyle T]

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Dan B

22nd Oct 05 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
Yeah, I signed up for tiscali a week or so before you posted this, and it all arrived the day before yesturday.

My Download speeds are ok, however my BF2 Ping is a rite crock o shit most of the time

[Edited on 22-10-2005 by Kyle T]

That's pretty much normal, and good luck getting it fixed......one of the lads in my Enemy Territory clan was with Tiscali, and he tried to get them to fix his ping (it varied in-game anything between 50ms and 800ms) for three months, with no joy, so he changed provider at the end of his 12 months.
Nismo

23rd Oct 05 at 07:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plug one machine directly into the router (by-passing wireless) so hard wired with cable , run a speed test on adslguide.org see what you get.

Also try elimnating extension cables as they have big effects on speed, plug directly into the master socket in the house , also unscrew the faceplate and behind it you should have NTE5 test socket plug it into there and see if that is any better, also just replace your filter you could have a dodgy one.
Kyle T
Premium Member

23rd Oct 05 at 09:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nismo
Plug one machine directly into the router (by-passing wireless) so hard wired with cable , run a speed test on adslguide.org see what you get.

Also try elimnating extension cables as they have big effects on speed, plug directly into the master socket in the house , also unscrew the faceplate and behind it you should have NTE5 test socket plug it into there and see if that is any better, also just replace your filter you could have a dodgy one.

Im using a 15metre rj11 cable to connect my modem to phone line, could this be my problem? Ill try chnaging filter tonight.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Dan B

23rd Oct 05 at 11:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just to check, the RJ11 cable isn't on a reel, is it?
Mase
Premium Member

23rd Oct 05 at 14:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nismo

i plugged my laptop straight into the broadband modem they sent me through the post and plugged that into the wall socket and the speed test was exactly the same, cos my first thought was a problem with the router.

Mase
Kyle T
Premium Member

23rd Oct 05 at 17:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dan B
Just to check, the RJ11 cable isn't on a reel, is it?

Nope.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Dan B

23rd Oct 05 at 18:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's OK, then......friend of mine had a 15m RJ11 cable with 80% of it on a reel.

When he changed to a sensible length of RJ11, without most of it coiled up (cables create a small magnetic field, interference, etc), his speeds/reliability went up by about 25%.
Kyle T
Premium Member

23rd Oct 05 at 19:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, my 15m is stretched out pretty much.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
TNM

24th Oct 05 at 09:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you tried contacting your ISP and asking them to look into it?
Mase
Premium Member

24th Oct 05 at 10:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah an i spoke to a lovely lady in india who told me to download an 'optimiser', which somehow messed up my computer so it wouldn't start up......

but going on what i've seen on the tiscali forum, they look as if they know what the problem is, so its a case of them upgrading there end i think.

Mase
TNM

24th Oct 05 at 11:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do not i repeat do not use optimiser or any shit like that!!!
Kyle T
Premium Member

24th Oct 05 at 11:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I Emailed em ,and they told me to run a traceroute at different times of day to the BBC website.

Ive just done it and pinged back at around 190ms

Ill try again when I get home fro mwork then email them the results. see what they say.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

24th Oct 05 at 14:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just done the trace at work and got around 10ms!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Mase
Premium Member

25th Oct 05 at 15:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

check this speed check i've just done !!

this is meant to be on a 2mb line.....

Mase
Kyle T
Premium Member

25th Oct 05 at 16:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats ace

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Dan B

25th Oct 05 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ouch, twice the speed of dial-up, rather than the 40-times you'd expect!
Paul

26th Oct 05 at 05:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have the pleasure of dealing with Tiscali on a regular basis. WHat a group of helpful people they are *sarcasm* They are one ISP i wouldn't recommend.
Mase
Premium Member

26th Oct 05 at 14:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

same here, i've sent loads of e-mails and nothing has happened yet. it wasn't even connected earlier !!!

Mase

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll