corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » SLIGHTLY buckeled wheels - can they be fixed?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author SLIGHTLY buckeled wheels - can they be fixed?
MR2Mike

User status: Offline
17th Oct 05 at 22:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as above, one of my wheels is very slightly buckeled, and after around 50 mph, the steering wheels shakes.. ive had the car at kwik fit and he took the wheels off and tested each on the balancing machine, and it did wobble a little but he told me it was hardly anything and that it was nothing compared to what he has seen before on others... is it possible to repair a somewhat minor buckle if they are taken to be refurbed? i want black wheels on my car, and am not sure what to do.... get these refurbed and sprayed black or buy new ones.... i dont want to just scrap the wheels as they are like a grand new !!

cheers, sorry for the lecture, any Help appreciated
MarkW

18th Oct 05 at 06:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

put the buckled wheel on the rear to stop the shaking as it will be less noticeable. I had to this with mine as i have buvkled one too recommeneded to get it sorted when you can though
Richie B

18th Oct 05 at 10:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i got some wood, and put it against the buckle, and brayed it with a hammer... didnt fully get rid, but got rid of alot of it

obviously takes little bits down to the black under the powdercoat though
Rob B

18th Oct 05 at 10:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Buy some wheels with the correct offset as i recall yours arnt.
MR2Mike

18th Oct 05 at 14:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the wheel is on the back, and it only got rid of the shaking it temporarily, its now as bad as it was. There may be more than one wheel buckeled, but you cant even see th damage to the wheels themselves.

Rob - youre right my wheels arent the right offset, but to buy new ones i need to get rid of these... and i doubt anyone would buy them lol

[Edited on 18-10-2005 by Mike_Corsa]
antscorsa

18th Oct 05 at 14:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

take them to get repaired, there need to b heated up and shaped back into place. (the damaged part)
ed

18th Oct 05 at 15:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Buckled wheels can't be repaired. They are made from cast aluminium which weakens when subjected to impact, this is worsened when you go trying to knock them back into shape.

Wheels are technically a 'disposable' part...
MR2Mike

18th Oct 05 at 16:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what would you do then Ed?? save up for new wheels, sell tyres off these or use them again, and scrap old wheels??
Sly_SRi
Premium Member

18th Oct 05 at 18:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have buckled wheels, so the tyre place told me, they just balanced them and they're fine.

Corsa C Z20Let

Black Sleeper Turbo Project
ed

18th Oct 05 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Corsa
what would you do then Ed?? save up for new wheels, sell tyres off these or use them again, and scrap old wheels??
Technically they wheels and tyres should be replaced... But there ware ways of getting around it, as previously stated you could have them balenced to stop the shaking. For normal road use this should be alright... I would try to avoid knocking them back into shape though, because you would weaken the wheel even more, and probably buckle it somehwere else in the process.

Are you sure the wheels are actually buckled. Mine are balanced really really badly and shake shit loads, two of the wheels are missing the spiggot rings which doesn't help matters.....
ed

18th Oct 05 at 19:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In reality though, the wheel aint gonna collapse on you as it's only a slight buckle...
MR2Mike

18th Oct 05 at 20:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the wheels are all balanced mate but the shaking is still severe. they wobble on the machine, deffo buckeled. why would the tyres also have to be scrapped? theyre almost new
MR2Mike

18th Oct 05 at 22:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^^^
MR2Mike

19th Oct 05 at 11:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

MR2Mike

19th Oct 05 at 16:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^

New Poll