corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Thoughts/opinions/advice, in two minds as to which route to go RE: tuning

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Thoughts/opinions/advice, in two minds as to which route to go RE: tuning
Jamie Walby

User status: Offline
26th Sep 05 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

with regards to tuning my engine.....plans have been finalised for my exterior so its now time to seriously think about tuning my 1.6.

So do I do something similar to JR (minus the stripping of the car)

Or do I go for TB...........

Baring in mind i only know a small bit about tuning compared to some peeps on here so there is bound to be pros and cons for both options that havent even crossed my mind/I wasnt even aware of!

So what would be the pros and cons of both my options.

Money isnt really to much of an option as I save like a bee-yatch if I want something!

Cheers guys

Jake

26th Sep 05 at 19:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

throttle bodies. Depends how much things cost when they go wrong really.
mav

26th Sep 05 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1.6 on TB's
timrud_

26th Sep 05 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TB's cost soooooooo much for what they give you.

Its not just a case of putting them on. You need to compliment them with a lot of other things.

So you need to think really what you want to end up with, rather than how you want to achieve it, if you get me?
Matt H

26th Sep 05 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agree with what Tim said, look how my car did compared to those turbo cars at the Max Power thing!

I know my cars isn't the best example of a TB'd car but you get the general idea.

But then again think of the noise......

mwg

26th Sep 05 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd go for a LET conversion. More power, easier to tune and probably cost less than a 1.6 by the time you've tuned it!
timrud_

26th Sep 05 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agreed about the LET....

BUT!

Matt knew everytime he put his foot down his car would perform 100%. I didn't. Adding a turbo to a car just adds an extra thing to be random and go wrong. Creates a lot of heat etc too....

Without standalone managemt and a deent map for you specific engine a LET will never be reliable. Phase chips are great on a budget, but if your serious go standalone management....
Fad

26th Sep 05 at 21:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used to be all for trh XE/LET route ut am slowly more keen on the smaller 1.6 16v XE's

I quite like my 20XE as its fairly nippy and not to OTT and powr is progressive. I found a LET is good for motorway crusing and stright line speed.

Howver if drivability is what your after get a tuned 1.6 16v or a 20xe on TB's
broster
Premium Member

27th Sep 05 at 07:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had my engine to the same spec as jr's (well mine was there first lol) its nippy yes but you will soon get bored of it, took me about 9months to start saving for better things.... stick with the 1.6, dont think that sticking tb's alone on will make it fast, it will give you 160bhp if your lucky... need cams, pocketed pistons to take the cams, head work, exhaust manifold etc etc.....
Jamie Walby

27th Sep 05 at 08:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did realise I would need more than just TB's :rollseyes:

jr

27th Sep 05 at 08:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quite happy with mine, think its more than nippy its is spec at the mo, just gonna concentrate on the handling and lightness now
broster
Premium Member

27th Sep 05 at 08:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

jr you got any 1/4 mile times for your yet? be interesting to see...
bradfincham

27th Sep 05 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

With the amount of xe's, lets about these days and only a handful of 1.6 on tb's id say go that route and be different.

Fair enough you may spend 2k on tb's and something like emerald management for your 1.6 and then another 1k for cams headwork etc and be abouyt 160 bhp ish, but will be lighter, noiser, more fun to drive that an xe corsa.
Plus you already know your engine and with an xe a rebuilt is a must or you put in an engine thats 15 years old and travelled the world severall times.

id say 1.6 on tb's
broster
Premium Member

27th Sep 05 at 11:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by bradfincham
With the amount of xe's, lets about these days and only a handful of 1.6 on tb's id say go that route and be different.

Fair enough you may spend 2k on tb's and something like emerald management for your 1.6 and then another 1k for cams headwork etc and be abouyt 160 bhp ish, but will be lighter, noiser, more fun to drive that an xe corsa.
Plus you already know your engine and with an xe a rebuilt is a must or you put in an engine thats 15 years old and travelled the world severall times.

id say 1.6 on tb's

damn im going to tell people to go for a 2lr now.... or mine wont be different!
Sly_SRi
Premium Member

27th Sep 05 at 11:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd start off by doing simple bolt on mods like new inlet, cams, exhaust, maybe a remap. You'll see very gd Bhp gains from this.

Corsa C Z20Let

Black Sleeper Turbo Project
Jamie Walby

27th Sep 05 at 11:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BAH.....Broster has convinced me to not only touch him but to go TB's

let the saving commence
timrud_

27th Sep 05 at 12:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Spend 3k on a 1600 and not even see the power a LET could give you as standard?

And its easy to get 260 from one.... not much weiht difference, and the power more than compensates.

And nobody can say a LET Corsa doesn't handle, Matt H will vouch my car beat a scoob round brunters
Jamie Walby

27th Sep 05 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

each to their own though!
broster
Premium Member

27th Sep 05 at 12:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by timrud_
Spend 3k on a 1600 and not even see the power a LET could give you as standard?

And its easy to get 260 from one.... not much weiht difference, and the power more than compensates.

And nobody can say a LET Corsa doesn't handle, Matt H will vouch my car beat a scoob round brunters

if the scooby drivers cant drive...........

indeed each to their own, jamie glad i could help, ill book you in for the touching session
timrud_

27th Sep 05 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The way he threw it round he wasn't shy... Was a 2 door import too (think a v5 going on its age), which is far superior to the UK turd burgulars

Value for money LET. Follow the sheep off Corsasport, a 1600
mwg

27th Sep 05 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would interesting and different doing all that to a 1.6.

but I wouldn't personally when theres a 2.0 16v turbo that can be done for cheaper and give alot more power.

Like you say though each to their own
broster
Premium Member

27th Sep 05 at 12:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by timrud_
The way he threw it round he wasn't shy... Was a 2 door import too (think a v5 going on its age), which is far superior to the UK turd burgulars

Value for money LET. Follow the sheep off Corsasport, a 1600

lol, following the sheep would be a c20xe with a colinder for a sump!

in all honesty tho, a scooby would kill a corsa on the bends if driven properly.... especially an import...
timrud_

27th Sep 05 at 12:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Broster you will have to come up and go out in our cars from my way, I've been in a Scoob and got trounced, and been in the Vauxhall and handed a trouncing out. I can see why you wouldn't believe it though We are talking a track and not pooey b-roads... I'm adiment the Corsa could lap quicker than a standard-ish scoob. And my mates Astra most certainly would..

There is no replacement for displacement
Matt H

27th Sep 05 at 12:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep I can vouch for this

The amount of sensors etc on the C16XE puts me off tbh, the C20XE is a caveman engine compared to it
broster
Premium Member

27th Sep 05 at 12:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

stick a set of tb's on a 16xe and you ditch a hell of a lot of sensors tho matt lol!

tim, be interesting to see... what power your running now?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Thoughts/opinions/advice, in two minds as to which route to go RE: tuning 23 database queries in 0.0126522 seconds