corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » up-grading the big three in a c

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author up-grading the big three in a c
Martin

User status: Offline
23rd Sep 05 at 16:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how is this done?

i understand-
battery +ive to alt +ve changed to 0awg
battery -ve to chasis changed to 0awg

but the third,
alternator -ve to battery -ve changed to 0awg.

Because in a C, the pipe of which the standard 8awg size wires run through, isnt thick enough to fit 2lots of 0awg through it.

Do the wires even have to go in the black protective pipe, would it matter if i ran -ve 0awg back to the battery NEXT to the protective pipe, and cable tied it to stop it flapping about?

Or can i just run it to the chasis?

Thanks for any help

Martin
Doug

26th Sep 05 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not many will have done this on C's. Maybe ask painz?

But aslong as its all insulated properly there cant be too much rish in it not being in the protective trunking
Martin

27th Sep 05 at 13:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Doug Corsa
Not many will have done this on C's. Maybe ask painz?

But aslong as its all insulated properly there cant be too much rish in it not being in the protective trunking

yeah i will do

although he probably paid some one to do it for him
mwg

27th Sep 05 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can buy protective trunking for your power wires. I've just upgraded mine to 4 gauge and I got protective trunking in the kit with the wiring. It looks just like the factory stuff. Like I say that was for 4 guage though so I'm not sure if they do it for 0 gauge Mine was just an Autoleads kit, try asking them if they sell the trunking big enough for 0 gauge

I dont think you particularly need it as I didn't have it on my old power wire and thats been fine for the past 2 years. It just looks neater and more like a factory fit with it covered up
Martin

27th Sep 05 at 14:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So by giving me that answer, im assuming that i DO need to run 0awg negative back to battery negative as aposed to runing it to chasis...?

Martin
mwg

27th Sep 05 at 15:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure TBH but if it was me I would copy whatever the factory wiring does but obviously using your 0 gauge. If you do the same as whats allready there then you cant go wrong
Martin

27th Sep 05 at 15:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah thats the problem.

They have used +ive and -ive running in the same bit of trunking, so it works fine.

But the problem is, the trunking goes through a few 'walls' and 'tunnels' and only one 0awg will fit in the trunking.

Hence asking if i canjust earth alterantor to chasis.

May just have a look under the bonnet though when it is sunnier and see if i can find another way to get get -ive back up to batt
mwg

27th Sep 05 at 15:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah I see. I'm not familiar with Corsa Cs under the bonnet so couldn't say.

I might be wrong here but as long as the negative wire goes to an earth surely it doesn't matter whether its the battery negative or an earthing point? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong which is most likely the case
Martin

27th Sep 05 at 18:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the word from PainZ is, he didnt upgrade his, and he has no problems at all.

so, i'll probably just up grade -ve to chasis, n that'll be it.

hang out a bit for a bigger alt... one day...

AdiSRI

28th Sep 05 at 08:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you do need to upgrade it, its pointless to upgrade 2 of the wires and leave the third, your basically removing all the benefit of changing the other 2 wires.

You dont need to change the negative from the alt as far as i remember, as the alternator is grounded through the ground from the engine block on a corsa. Theres no seperate earth lead. Thus u finally change the earth that goes from the engine block to the chassis and your done.

The 0 gauge DOES NOT need to go in the trunking, mine doesnt, but you do need to take care to run it sensibly, i.e. avoid any areas that will get overly hot (engine block) etc... and cable tie it in place and you will be fine.

Good luck
Martin

28th Sep 05 at 18:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheerz mate

think ill hang on for a bit. CAD split my battery terminal order (with my permission) sent me part of the order, and now are completely ignoring me and wont send me the rest. COOL!

my RE sub is now in the country
jus gota wait for it to find me now.

Cheerz mate

New Poll