corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Virtual Exhaust system

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Virtual Exhaust system
douse

User status: Offline
22nd Sep 05 at 22:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.atpturbo.com/root/releases/release091004.htm

Opinions
stubs

22nd Sep 05 at 22:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Similar in concept to the likes of Lambourgini exhausts.. no?

Without knowing what the performance would be like with one, I think the idea is quite good, in that you could have a powerfull setup, yet still keep your neigbours happy when coming home late at night etc..
Perhaps keep the old bill off your back too?
CorsAsh

22nd Sep 05 at 22:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

DB9 has a similar system of exhaust valves like that
Paul_J

22nd Sep 05 at 22:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

interesting - you keep standard exhaust system... then it basically just removes all restriction as if the exhaust exited just before the cat instead... would probably help with emissions for mot too haha.

would only really work on Turbo's as low back pressure = good on a turbo... On a non turbo I'm sure letting all the gasses just flow straight ouf of there wouldn't really do back pressure any favours.
Stoneyginger
Premium Member

22nd Sep 05 at 22:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quite a good idea i think
richard_syko
Banned

22nd Sep 05 at 22:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been around for years!

Motorbikes in the 70`s mclaren used it in the 80`s in F1.

And all Astons use it.

All about pressure waves in the exhaust
stubs

22nd Sep 05 at 22:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
would only really work on Turbo's as low back pressure = good on a turbo... On a non turbo I'm sure letting all the gasses just flow straight ouf of there wouldn't really do back pressure any favours.

Hence, "for forced induction cars":

[Edited on 22-09-2005 by stubs]
Paul_J

22nd Sep 05 at 23:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by stubs
quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J

Hence, "for forced induction cars":

Yes I'm aware. I was only clarifying the point before someone with a 1.2 8v corsa posted saying man i gotta get one of these. I don't like how loud my exhaust is, but have it like that for the performance gains.

I was just confirming that only for turbo's and giving the reason why.
stubs

22nd Sep 05 at 23:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If someone wants to buy one for their 1.2 8v, after overlooking the details... then let them.

If they could somehow overcome the problem of activating it without the neccessary boost pipes, then perhaps it would go great with a n/a dumpvalve kit.
douse

22nd Sep 05 at 23:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by stubs
If someone wants to buy one for their 1.2 8v, after overlooking the details... then let them.

If they could somehow overcome the problem of activating it without the neccessary boost pipes, then perhaps it would go great with a n/a dumpvalve kit.

If you are reffering that 'someone' as me then i dont have a 1.2 8v. I dont even have a corsa but i do have a turbo car. If you wern't referring to me then
Rob H

22nd Sep 05 at 23:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm sure ive seen somewhere a device that could be used on N/A cars that's basically a butterfly valve in-line with the rest of the exhaust. If the cars too loud, you can shut if off a little to quieten it down. Think it was primarily for track cars so they could get through noise regs .

...that said it could also have been totally different and have just been so that n/A cars can have a big bore exhaust thats better at high revs, but shut the valve off at low revs to keep the low down torque characteristics.
stubs

22nd Sep 05 at 23:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by douse
If you wern't referring to me then

no reference to you fella
stubs

22nd Sep 05 at 23:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob H
I'm sure ive seen somewhere a device that could be used on N/A cars that's basically a butterfly valve in-line with the rest of the exhaust. If the cars too loud, you can shut if off a little to quieten it down. Think it was primarily for track cars so they could get through noise regs .

...that said it could also have been totally different and have just been so that n/A cars can have a big bore exhaust thats better at high revs, but shut the valve off at low revs to keep the low down torque characteristics.

We had a Lambo Murc' in the other week & it had 2 of the said devices on it... I was told it's to do with noise levels - on full song, they open up to allow the system to work to its full, but on tickover & low revs, they stay shut to keep the MOT bods happy. However, they are different in design to these, as they're not operated by a boost supply (all standard Lambo's are n/a)

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Virtual Exhaust system 22 database queries in 0.0123000 seconds