corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » compression test

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author compression test
V-Man

User status: Offline
21st Sep 05 at 22:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did a compression test on my car t'other day.....results were that it took a few engine turns to build the compression up, all pistons went something 8, 9-10, 12-13, 14-15 then leveled out at 15.5-16.
i thought this gradual increase in compression meant something bad??? but i cant remeber where i read it. Ooorrrrr is it normal as all 4 cylinders have done it??
just a wonderin!
cheers! dave
ed

21st Sep 05 at 22:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When you do a compression test you should find out what the book tolerences are (should be something like between X psi and Y psi). You then do a dry test, and then do a wet test after pouring a little oil in the bores. If the pressure has increased from below the minimum tolerence to a higher pressure you have a problem with the piston rings. If the pressure is below the minimum pressure and stays below the minimum pressure when wet you have a head gasket problem. Also, all the pistons should be the same, if not very similar pressures. Yours sounds fine...
V-Man

21st Sep 05 at 22:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i thought that u done the test dry (which is what i did) and if a cylinder has a lower compression than the rest then u wet tested it to discover the problem? but yea, they all done exactly the same dry, so its probably all fine or all funked! . might do it wet soon then!

cheers!
ed

21st Sep 05 at 22:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea, your right.. It's late, I must have explained it in some god awfull way

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » compression test 22 database queries in 0.0099800 seconds