corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Corsa GSI Help

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Corsa GSI Help
Mattss Corsa

User status: Offline
   14th Aug 05 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My car is currently on 91,500k miles, and is drinking oil?
Just wondering what i could do, to make it a better engine basically, what could do with replacing, its 10years old, with service history. But Just for peace of mind? Ive changed the oil breather, as it was all shitty, and ive got a new air filter.

Cheers Matt

[Edited on 14-08-2005 by Mattss Corsa]
Mattss Corsa

14th Aug 05 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Help, as i want a lovley sounding engine, working how it should be before anything goes wrong. Peace of mind basically Thanks Matt
Cybermonkey

14th Aug 05 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you would be looking at an expensive semi-rebuild, especially if its a C16XE, since the pistons were not as good a fit as those in the X16. Probably valve stem seals are worn. notice any blue smoke?
Mattss Corsa

14th Aug 05 at 13:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive got the pre ectoc engine, been told is the better one. It doesnt give out blue smoke, only smokes, when started from cold.
Cybermonkey

14th Aug 05 at 13:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i wouldnt say better one now, since all C16XE engines are over 10 years old, and past their best. What colour smoke?
Mattss Corsa

14th Aug 05 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

White, just normal colour from cold start mate. Would could i do to make it run better, was looking at throttle boddies, can get them fitted, and ecu remped for £1000 from jamsport.

Should i replace gasets? Just had new cambelt
Cybermonkey

14th Aug 05 at 13:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

firstly you need to understand why its drinking oil. how much are we talking about anyway? it can be normal for an engine with this mileage to go through a small amount of oil, but if its using a litre a week or something, then you might want to invest in a rebuild.
Mattss Corsa

14th Aug 05 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes its using a Litre a week if not more, and it isnt leaking, as its not on my drive in the mornings? How much for a rebuild, cheapest? whats the comman cause for them to use allot of oil? Thanks Matey
Cybermonkey

14th Aug 05 at 14:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes its burning oil, im not sure on costs for a rebuild, but im sure someone else could give you a rough guestimate. common cause for high oil consumption could be something simple like wrong viscosity oil. what are you using at the moment? Could be something like piston rings though.
Mattss Corsa

14th Aug 05 at 14:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Using some supermarket oil, TMC oil, cheap shit as it was low and shoved it in, im going to do an oil change soon, new filter n the lot Using the best oil, which is? lol
Cybermonkey

14th Aug 05 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it doesnt help if you are using cheap shite oil. Go to Vauxhall and get 4 litres of their own stuff, its good and is cheap too. 15w-40
Mattss Corsa

14th Aug 05 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ill give it a go mate, thank you for your advice
MoNkEy MaGiC

14th Aug 05 at 14:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hello mate, i have the same problem as you dude!

thing is my car only burns about 1-2 litres per month, on basis of doing maximum 500 miles per month, also depends how i drive, higher revs for long period of times really kills it! however it is also leaking, the engine is in a right state, just covered in oil, its really bad!!

its been like this for 2 years, surprisingly!!!!!!

if you go to a good garage that you know, they will do a full top to bottom rebuild for around £600+
but i have been quoted £1000+ before!!

you have to think... for £600+ you can get hold of a good condition 2litre engine and put in!

but for now, do oil and filter change, i find using 15-40 oil makes engine run sh1te and tappy!!

also try this

i find it made the engine lot more quite, and the smell of oil burning was gone!!!! but long term wise it does mess up the oil properties!! so keep ur oil topped up and always let it reach operating temp before flooring it!
Mattss Corsa

14th Aug 05 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

O right, thanks for this matey, good to chat with another GSI owner. Think i might change the engine when it goes "Bang" Lol.

cheers Matey
PaulopelGsi

16th Aug 05 at 11:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my mates used to use lots of oil. he just kept topping it up. just got a gsi myself with c16xe lump mate so i will keep you posted on how much oil it uses. Think they do consume oil from new. a lot of old twin cam motors do. Clio 16's use a lot of oil from new also.
MoNkEy MaGiC

16th Aug 05 at 15:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a c16xe will consume ONE litre of oil per 1000 miles as standard!

so if its consuming more than this, then you know you have a problem!
most likely valve stem seals, you will know this if u notice oil burns quicker and can smell it when u thrash the car (high revs)

the next step is Piston rings! again this can be done while the head is off and the stem seals are being done, but if its real bad then the pistons themself and or the bore maybe be damaged, and this is when it gets costly as the head and engine is already apart so you may aswell do a full rebuild, works out cheaper in long run!

the average life expectancy of a car is 10 years, the GSi is now 11 so you should expect problem after another now!
Cybermonkey

17th Aug 05 at 00:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

unless you drive a Toyota Camry

New Poll