corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Alternator testing/wiring

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Alternator testing/wiring
ed

User status: Offline
13th Jul 05 at 08:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My alternator doesn't do anything.... I have tried different earth points e.t.c... Just want to make sure I have got the wiring correct. The earth for the alternator is the body of it right? The thin wire should go into the thinner terminal, I think it is marked 0+ and the live should go to the larger terminal, think it is just marked +... Anyway, if I had wired it wrong it would just drain the battery surely?
SteveW

13th Jul 05 at 08:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had this problem with the tubby... turned out to be a bad earth... but my engine did start, it was just drawing power when i turned on the headlights or anything like that
ed

13th Jul 05 at 08:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tried earthing it directly to the battery even, still no joy

If it is another broken alternator (this is my second from Halfods fro this engine) I will demad free fitting. That'll teach them (evil laugh)
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

13th Jul 05 at 08:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^
SteveW

13th Jul 05 at 08:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah get the monkies to work for their money

shame Crazy Richard doesnt still work at the uxbridge one... he would be able to fix that in 10mins.. the boy was an engine/electrics god
ed

13th Jul 05 at 09:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No matter how good you are at electrics, it will take hours to change I'm gonna put my 1.2 8v alternator on and go get a refund from Halfords I think, could do with an extra £70 at the moment
Ditch

13th Jul 05 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know its a 30min job on my GTE 16v.. just gotta make sure the engine hasnt been run as it gets kind of hot sitting where it does!

My only suggestion Re: it not working would be to check the Alt. to Inlet earth strap...
Ditch

13th Jul 05 at 13:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh, and in future if your buying an Alt. my mate at vaux got me an exchange part for £36... which I thought was pretty good
Nic Barnes

13th Jul 05 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah yeah, alt earth strap. it goes from the adjustable slider bracket (belt tensioner) bolt on the inlet manifold, to the bolt that holds the altinator on to this bracket at the bit that adjusts the tension if you get what i mean. if you aint got that it just flattens the battery all the time
ed

13th Jul 05 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm going to use the 1.2 8v one and get a refund from Halfords for this one. This is the scond one they have given me and it's broken, like the last one.
Ditch

13th Jul 05 at 13:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so your sure its wired up correctly?
Nic Barnes

13th Jul 05 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

use the refund money towards them mad ass insurance quotes, lol. its great being old

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Alternator testing/wiring 22 database queries in 0.0096231 seconds