corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Airline Pilot

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Airline Pilot
Mikorsa16v

User status: Offline
25th Jun 05 at 14:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does anyone know of anyone that is a commercial Airline Pilot?

I have had a couple of trial flights in a Piper at a local airport and thinking of going down this route next year- i.e get my PPL which on its own is fecking expensive. At the moment I am a Computer Programmer and thinking of getting into Aviation. Any suggestions/comments?

Mike
Cybermonkey

25th Jun 05 at 14:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok where do we start!
I have to get off my ass and carry on my PPL, even though i know i probably wont ever be an airline pilot. You need to be extremely rich and/or have the patience to go through with it. its not a decision to be taken lightly, and you have to be very fit and also very smart. I am about to start an apprenticeship in Aircraft Engineering wit Qantas, as i want to work in the industry, but dont have the qualifications or money to become and airline pilot. You are looking at £80,000 to obtain your CPL from a flying school.
Qualifications wise, you need to have maths, english language and a science in A-level at grade C or above normally, physics is preferred.
I know loads of people in the aviation industry, and know pretty much everything there is to know. send us a U2U with questions!
Mikorsa16v

25th Jun 05 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for your help mate! Thats a lot of money! 80k, is that the last step (the CPL). Your Apprenticeship sounds like a good first step on the ladder! I just find aviation very interesting. How many hours would you say a competent pilot (from nothing) would complete (in hours) a PPL in?
Cybermonkey

25th Jun 05 at 14:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well average is 40hours to gain PPL. and going solo after 10
Jamie Walby

25th Jun 05 at 16:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a friend who has his ppl and commercial! He has a one exam left to take I think though i'm not sure! Plus we have about 3 commercial pilots that come in the shop that I could get some info from for you mate!
Graeme
Premium Member

25th Jun 05 at 16:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my dad is an airline pilot and he was working in the tower before he came a pilot!

if u can do ur ppl first u will be in a great position to apply to an airline to put u through ur pilot training!!!
will be hard work but u can get paid a gd amount, my dad is a senior captain now and earns a gd amount so if u can comit to it then worth it!
Cybermonkey

25th Jun 05 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by C4 WLK
my dad is an airline pilot and he was working in the tower before he came a pilot!

if u can do ur ppl first u will be in a great position to apply to an airline to put u through ur pilot training!!!
will be hard work but u can get paid a gd amount, my dad is a senior captain now and earns a gd amount so if u can comit to it then worth it!

thats pretty kewl
Graeme
Premium Member

25th Jun 05 at 16:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

only gd thing is that we get so much off holiday prices and can tell how much they acctually rip u off!!
Mikorsa16v

25th Jun 05 at 17:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

excellent! dont tell me how much we get ripped off pls paid for my hols couple of weeks ago
Graeme
Premium Member

25th Jun 05 at 17:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well i will just to make most of u cry!
i get my hols half price then take another £130 off that price for the position my dad is within the company!!
also i get free private medical care which helped alot when i broke my back in 2 places last year!!!
Mikorsa16v

25th Jun 05 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by C4 WLK
well i will just to make most of u cry!
i get my hols half price then take another £130 off that price for the position my dad is within the company!!
also i get free private medical care which helped alot when i broke my back in 2 places last year!!!

were you skiing!!??

at half then 130 off

So my holiday would have cost £10 rofl (i know im taking that too literally)
Graeme
Premium Member

25th Jun 05 at 17:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no it was a motorbike crash that fuked it, was in hospital for 6weeks!
then had a full body brace on for about 3 months!!
Mikorsa16v

25th Jun 05 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ouch, what country was that - take it you were sensible and wore a helmet!?
Graeme
Premium Member

25th Jun 05 at 17:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no it was at home on my own motorbike!!
i was in full protective clothing, i didnt have 1 scratch on me but just had 2 broken vertabrae!!
ed

25th Jun 05 at 17:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you want to get your PPL get it in the states, it is far cheaper, think you can do it in about 2-3 weeks. To get your CPL it costs a fair bit...
ed

25th Jun 05 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

With a PPL you are only qualified to do VFR flights, you will need an IFR which is near on impossible to get in the UK because there are only 2 guys the the country that can do the examination. Need to go to the US for that one.
Cybermonkey

26th Jun 05 at 07:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

or Australia, its dirt cheap here.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Airline Pilot 22 database queries in 0.0138628 seconds