corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Found a GSi - mileage worrys?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Found a GSi - mileage worrys?
Jules

User status: Offline
   16th Jun 05 at 10:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Might of found a nice GSi for myself, all the right boxes are ticked - apart from one, the low mileage one! The one I'm interested in has 107k miles, but it has service history with it - this is my only concern over the car or I'd probably go and snap it up aslong as the rest of the car checks out.
So what I'm asking is - Does mileage really make a huge difference if it's got the service history to back it up?

Jules
Edd

16th Jun 05 at 10:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if it has a good service history its not that big of a deal to be honest
Carly

16th Jun 05 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My car has done about 128k, and its never broke down or had any problems whatsoever, but mine is a diesel and used to be my mums so has been driven very steady all its life
That however has probably been ragged all over, id say don't bother unless the price is alot cheaper than others that are around with the same spec
3CorsaMeal

16th Jun 05 at 10:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

maybe if it was BMW or VW, but being a vaux i wouldn't consider it
Cybermonkey

16th Jun 05 at 10:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

107k is fine, just check that its not blowing blue smoke, and that oil and a coolant levels/colour is good. Other than that, you should get yourself a tasty bargain.
Cybermonkey

16th Jun 05 at 10:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh and make sure cam belt has been replaced when it was supposed to. if not, get it changed ASAP
mav

16th Jun 05 at 10:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as said well servied, cam belt changes etc and all should be fine
Jules

16th Jun 05 at 10:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers ladys, it's only had two previous owners and the last owner was a lady who had owned it since 1998 - so it's fairly certain to of not been thrashed in the last 7 years or so!
I'll do the usual checks on the engine - blue smoke, oil/water mixture, noisy tappets and also on the body work - B pillar cracks, rot around windscreen, rear wipe arm hole, front chassis rails - is there anything else on the bodywork/chassis or engine side of things to look out for?

I'll service it within a week of getting it (if I do) regardless of when it was last done as I always do when buying a new car - just to be on the safe side.

The car is up for £1500 but I don't think it's a private sale so there might not be much scope for bartering on the price but I'll be paying cash and not giving him a trade in so that should go in my favour.

Any more things I need to know? Oh and did all GSi's come with airbag steering wheels? Did any come with sunroofs? And was it on;y '95 models that had electric mirrors (this is a '94 M plate)?

Beers in advance

Jules
mav

16th Jun 05 at 10:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

leccy windows/mirros etc were an option i think when new...as sunroof too..
Jules

16th Jun 05 at 10:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well this one is stated as having leccy windows and a sunroof but no mention of leccy mirrors - mind you I suppose that they can be retro fitted easily? I assume like most Vauxhalls that the wiring loom is probably already in situ?

Jules
PaulW

16th Jun 05 at 10:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you have the leccy windows you should have the leccy mirrors, unless its a cheap 'optional' one

mine came with leccy windows and mirrors, but im gona be ditching these for manual jobbies soon enough to cut weight down further...

aswell as replace the wiring loom with one from an LS & even then its gona be gutted more...

btw, you 'might' be lucky & also get wiring for leccy heated seats, as my N-reg GSi has it
Joff

16th Jun 05 at 11:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just make sure the belt and rollers have been recently changed, along with water pump, etc.

Mine was on it's way out at about 60k so I'm sure yours would have been done.
Jules

16th Jun 05 at 11:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Joffry - can you U2U me your mobile number pls (as you're NEVER on MSN!) so I can hassle you 24/7 with Corsa questions!!

Jules
Joff

16th Jun 05 at 11:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't have all the answers tho
Jambo

16th Jun 05 at 11:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
maybe if it was BMW or VW, but being a vaux i wouldn't consider it

Ask Mattb/Jr about VW.

Every BMW my family has ever owned has been riddled with problems. We have 3 corsas and an astra convertible. In 4 years only problem is a flat battery on my sisters L-reg merit and my oil filter needed replacing as it broke at about 30k on my 1.4 sport.

Common misconception just like nokia phones being "more reliable" its utter and complete bollox.
Cybermonkey

16th Jun 05 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

amen to that jambo, was a thread yesterday about my Monaro vs M3, and some guy called corsa_ant said he would rather have the M3 because it was german and more reliable. Means fuck all these days
Jambo

17th Jun 05 at 00:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cybermonkey24
amen to that jambo, was a thread yesterday about my Monaro vs M3, and some guy called corsa_ant said he would rather have the M3 because it was german and more reliable. Means fuck all these days

Dont get me wrong i love my BMWs my dads obsessed with em, but hes under no misconceptions about reliablilty

And VW are in no way BMW or mercedes, no matter how expensive they make their cars
Brett
Premium Member

17th Jun 05 at 00:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just cause it's been owned by a lady don't mean it ain't been thrashed!!

i hate when people put "one lady owner" so what! my mum is a 3.0 z3 petrol head! means shit!
Jambo

17th Jun 05 at 00:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett

i hate when people put "one lady owner" so what! my mum is a 3.0 z3 petrol head! means shit!

I couldnt agree more, plus my auntie sold her low milliege corsa as one lady owner, at 40k i asked her when she last had it serviced

She then asked me what that meant
Brett
Premium Member

17th Jun 05 at 00:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
quote:

I couldnt agree more, plus my auntie sold her low milliege corsa as one lady owner, at 40k i asked her when she last had it serviced

exactly!
Cybermonkey

17th Jun 05 at 04:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
quote:

exactly!

ouch
3CorsaMeal

17th Jun 05 at 08:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

german are with out doubt much better put together and well made, corsa has shook itself loose in 3yrs and now feels and sounds dated.

my dads audi's have all been sweet, still drives like a new car today
Jambo

17th Jun 05 at 08:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Build quality is generally better, but thats what you pay the extra money for
danny-corsa

17th Jun 05 at 08:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if its any consolation jules i might be getting a new engine soon and mine has only done 64k its a C16XE too
sassyminx

17th Jun 05 at 08:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jules
Cheers ladys, it's only had two previous owners and the last owner was a lady who had owned it since 1998 - so it's fairly certain to of not been thrashed in the last 7 years or so!
I'll do the usual checks on the engine - blue smoke, oil/water mixture, noisy tappets and also on the body work - B pillar cracks, rot around windscreen, rear wipe arm hole, front chassis rails - is there anything else on the bodywork/chassis or engine side of things to look out for?

I'll service it within a week of getting it (if I do) regardless of when it was last done as I always do when buying a new car - just to be on the safe side.

The car is up for £1500 but I don't think it's a private sale so there might not be much scope for bartering on the price but I'll be paying cash and not giving him a trade in so that should go in my favour.

Any more things I need to know? Oh and did all GSi's come with airbag steering wheels? Did any come with sunroofs? And was it on;y '95 models that had electric mirrors (this is a '94 M plate)?

not if she drives like me

not all GSi's came with airbags, mine had a sunroof, and mine had electric mirrors, think they were optional extras tbh mate

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Found a GSi - mileage worrys? 22 database queries in 0.0104690 seconds