corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » supercharger vs turbo sound....

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author supercharger vs turbo sound....
Robin
Premium Member

User status: Offline
3rd Jun 05 at 20:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right, there is a civic jordan on the estate where i work, and its got either a turbo or a supercharger, thing is, i dont know which it is

it makes a darth vader esque whooosh instead of the pttttttttsssssssssshhhh of a DV, could it be a low pressure turbo? or is it an SC?
broster
Premium Member

3rd Jun 05 at 21:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

superchargers often have a wining noise
ed

3rd Jun 05 at 21:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Superchargers don't have dump valves?
Robin
Premium Member

3rd Jun 05 at 21:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 1800ed

they do, otherwise the pressure created would keep going into the engine when you back off the throttle and keep the revs up, which isnt good, they have a sort of by-pass valve to prevent this

and broster, its a vtech civic with jap exhauts and induction kit, you cant hear the engine until about 8krpm
richard_syko
Banned

3rd Jun 05 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by robmarriott
quote:
Originally posted by 1800ed

they do, otherwise the pressure created would keep going into the engine when you back off the throttle and keep the revs up, which isnt good, they have a sort of by-pass valve to prevent this

and broster, its a vtech civic with jap exhauts and induction kit, you cant hear the engine until about 8krpm

Dont think they do mate
Robin
Premium Member

3rd Jun 05 at 21:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

believe me, they do, they are driven off the engine, so the engine is still spinning the charger up when you back off, forcing air into the engine, when the car is not putting as much fuel in... this is not good
TNM

3rd Jun 05 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i cant remember any one know whos had a super charger having a dump valve!
Robin
Premium Member

3rd Jun 05 at 21:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not an actual DV turbo style, but a pressure release valve all the same
Robin
Premium Member

3rd Jun 05 at 21:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

"the power delivery is less thrilling than that of a turbo, but you get boost earlier and ther is no lag, so you always have boost on tap. you can also run a dump valve, which fires out the excess boost, saving engine internals"

taken from last months MAX hardcore

CorsAsh

3rd Jun 05 at 21:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

S/Cs do have a sort of dump valve. Anyone who doesnt believe this should do a search for a film of a Datsun 240Z with a chevy engine... can actually see the valve working.
Robin
Premium Member

3rd Jun 05 at 21:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsAsh
S/Cs do have a sort of dump valve. Anyone who doesnt believe this should do a search for a film of a Datsun 240Z with a chevy engine... can actually see the valve working.

Ta very much

still dont know what this civic is though
Mattb

3rd Jun 05 at 21:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a super charger would have to run with a dump valve, be it atmospheric or recirculating. if it didnt, boost pressure would hit the closed throttle body and head for the only exit, back the way it came, trying to spin the chargers compressor turbine in the opposite direction to what the engine is
Robin
Premium Member

3rd Jun 05 at 21:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mattb
a super charger would have to run with a dump valve, be it atmospheric or recirculating. if it didnt, boost pressure would hit the closed throttle body and head for the only exit, back the way it came, trying to spin the chargers compressor turbine in the opposite direction to what the engine is

although, as the inlet does not close instantly, it would still force air into the engine, creating a very lean fuel/air mix and bugger the engine, and keep the revs up, it'd be like having a sticky throttle
Rebrabuk

3rd Jun 05 at 22:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My V6 makes a 'Whooooosh' sound..
CorsAsh

3rd Jun 05 at 22:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My 1.2 8v whines like its supercharged. But it's not.
nickyboy01

3rd Jun 05 at 23:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Supercharger sounds like this

http://www.nloc.net/~bigd/Vids/WRX%20vs%20Lightning.wmv
R Lee

3rd Jun 05 at 23:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

honda's respond very well to suprecharging.
so, i'm guessing its supercharged.
richard_syko
Banned

4th Jun 05 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A recirculating dump valve is mostly used where dumping the charger air to atmosphere would lose metered air - that is, air that has already been measured in the ECU by a Mass Air Flow meter. Losing this air to atmospehere would cause incorrect fuel/air ratio - make it run rich.

The valve is driven from the amount of manifold pressure seen after the throttle body.

At idle and part throttle settings there is (generally) a partial vacuum in the manifold. At these times, the valve would remain open and recirculating the air from the charger outlet back to the charger inlet.

At wide open throttle the manifold pressure is near to atmospheric then goes positive as boost comes on. At these times the valve shuts tight and so no boost is lost back to the charger inlet - its all going into the manifold/engine.

With a supercharger, whether a positive displacement type (G60, Eaton etc) or Centrifugal (Z-Eng, Vortech etc) the air would be recirculating all the time there is a part throttle setting. As soon as you gun it, the valve shuts and all the boost enters the engine. Change gear quickly, and you will get a chuff as when you let go of the throttle, vacuum happens in the manifold, valve opens, vents - you get the picture.

So the choice of using a recirculating dump valve, or an open to air one, and where to locate it, can be made by looking at your charger setup. As long as you start metering the air entering the engine after the 'loop' or open part of the circuit, you are OK - otherwise, like I said, you will lose metered air.

NOW - heres something to bake your cookie:

Would fitting a recirc valve to Centrifugal Supercharger setup (Vortech, Z-Eng etc) cause more drag on the engine? Doesnt it go that load on the Supercharger is directly related to air flow through it - so increasing the flow will increase the load?

Think about a hair dryer - cover the exit nozzle up with your hand (make sure its on a cold setting!) and you will observe that the motor inside races faster and faster. Thus you have reduced the flow, the load on the motor dropped, so it went faster. Let your hand go, and the motor slows down as its now flowing air.

Work that one out!
Marc

4th Jun 05 at 11:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsAsh
My 1.2 8v whines like its supercharged. But it's not.

1.2 16v's do too
vibrio
Banned

4th Jun 05 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

S/C would just sound like a normal car but with a whin. turbo makes a specific sound from the exhaust.
Marc

4th Jun 05 at 11:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ross is correct
Kerry

4th Jun 05 at 11:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

could be a bov as opposed to a dv

vibrio
Banned

4th Jun 05 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kerry
could be a bov as opposed to a dv

I love it when people talk about stuff when thay have no clue abotu the subject
Kerry

4th Jun 05 at 12:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why do i not have a clue? i have had both and they both have a totally different sound
vibrio
Banned

4th Jun 05 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kerry
why do i not have a clue? i have had both and they both have a totally different sound

a DV and a BOV are one in the same thing. a bailey DV sounds different from a forge DV and a forge DV on my car sounds different to a forge DV on a supra or a ERST etc

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » supercharger vs turbo sound.... 22 database queries in 0.1971531 seconds