corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Any electricians in here, need help.....(wiring house lights)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Any electricians in here, need help.....(wiring house lights)
X 60RSA

User status: Offline
13th May 05 at 15:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Basically if you know alot about wiring lights up, get in touch!
Mistamist

13th May 05 at 16:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what do you need to know?
X 60RSA

13th May 05 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Basically i have 1 light on the landing, that can be turned on or off via a switch upstairs and down stairs. Just fitted 4 spot lights.

I have removed my existing ceiling rose, that could be turned on/off via a switch upstairs and down stairs. The 2 wires going into the old ceiling rose have been placed into the new spot light, from here i have fed the 2nd light, the second feeds the 3rd and the 3rd feeding the 4th, but nothing coming off the 4th feeding anything else.

BUT only 1 light works which is the one that has the upstairs and downstairs feeds going to it.

What have i done wrong!?

Does it need 2 wires off the last light back to the first? or the other switched live connecting to the last light in the circuit?

The pink wires are what i maybe shud put in? take them away and thats how its wired up as we speak...

[Edited on 13-05-2005 by X 60RSA]
Mistamist

13th May 05 at 17:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think it is to do with how you have connected the first light to the second and third etc.

if you only have two wires at the original point then connect these into your light fitting L and N on the first light, then run some more 5amp wire from the L and N on the first lamp to the second and so on. effectivly a parallel circuit.

[switch]======(lamp1)======(lamp2)=====(lamp3)======(lamp4)

inside the lamp:

Switch L-----------Lamp L-------Second lamp L etc
Switch N-----------Lamp N-------Second lamp N

etc

You should use 3 core harmonised wire (Brown, Blue and earth (use greensleeve)

hope this helps
Mistamist

13th May 05 at 17:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if this still doesnt work then try tracing a current with a neon screwdriver.
Craigos

15th May 05 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the first light works of BOTH swiches then that is connected up right, you need to dissconnect the feed from the 1st light to the 2nd light and make sure the neutral is permanent, and the live is the switched live, and so on for the other lights...

Craig
speedfreekz

15th May 05 at 13:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and this is why we have electricians..

If you are wiring up spot lights from a ceiling rose it is best to take your feeds (permanent live and neutral) into a junction box, were you can take a live and a neutral off into your spot lights and wire them up in parallel. You should wire up the junction box like you did the ceiling rose, (for ease of use) making sure u involve the switch wire( the cable to the switches)

With spot lights make sure you get rid of the fibre glass near it in the loft, and the spotlights should not be installed near beams or joists, as this is a fire hazard and against IEE wiring regulations. Also go to a place like B&Q or a electrical wholesalers and get some "top hats" to go over the spot lights, this is a fire prevention measure and will stop ur house burning down. Also make sure the cable is not over the top of the spot light as the heat from it can melt the cable.

I will kncok up a diagram giv us 10, hope this makes sense lol

[Edited on 15-05-2005 by speedfreekz]
speedfreekz

15th May 05 at 14:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok basically this is how i would wire it up, as i am only an electrical apprentice, there may be a better way from a more experienced spark, but this is how i have done it for my bathroom. These instructions are only a guide and the proper procedures should be followed, so really a spark should be doing it..

[Edited on 15-05-2005 by speedfreekz]
mestonian

15th May 05 at 14:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why dont you just do the safe and simple, and EASIER! thing and pay an electrician?!

[Edited on 15-05-2005 by mestonian]
speedfreekz

15th May 05 at 14:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

because people like being the old DIYer and when their house burns down they cant understand why...this isnt aimed at anyone just a general comment, suppose we are a country of DIYers lol

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Any electricians in here, need help.....(wiring house lights) 22 database queries in 0.0103951 seconds