corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » ** Group buy: XE exhaust manifold for Corsa

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author ** Group buy: XE exhaust manifold for Corsa
Joff

User status: Offline
10th May 05 at 18:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

After speaking to a couple of manufacturers a stainless steel exhaust manifold for the Corsa B with an XE is on the cards, all we need is some pre-orders to get the ball rolling.

I can arrange donor vehicles local to the respective companies, so there's no need for people asking for a free system - even I'll be paying.

The manifold will be stainless steel and have a provision for a lambda sensor/blanking plate. Bore will be larger than standard with the downpipe designed to mate to the factory cat location on the 1.4/1.6.
Can anyone confirm if the downpipe is the same on the 1.2 16v, 1.0 and 8v engines?

The pipework may be designed to keep the factory location of the ARB and also clear the housing on the radiator fan, so no need for spacer blocks and a hammer.
Can people fitting XE's suggest anything they'd like to see on the system?

Price is to be determined, but likely to be around £250-300.

Anyone interested, please leave your name below.
CorsAsh

10th May 05 at 18:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Downpipe on 8vs is different to 16vs AFAIK.
ed

10th May 05 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheaper to get a custom system mated up though...
Joff

10th May 05 at 18:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does it NEED to be different, or would a 16v exhaust system and an XE manifold fit on an 8v?

The companies I've spoken to all currently make popular Corsa exhaust systems, so they've got the patterns already.

Supplying a complete manifold to tailpipe solution wouldn't be a problem and there would be enough tailpipes to keep most people happy, with the option for an extra silencer, sports cat or straight-through pipe.
Joff

10th May 05 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 1800ed
Cheaper to get a custom system mated up though...

Most people want a performance manifold tho...
ed

10th May 05 at 18:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is a 1.28v exhaust, the manifold is one of those cast steel items, it has a down pipe with a catalytic convertor after the cat there is a clamp that attatches the downpipe to the center section. I'm sure a 16v exhaust would fit the car, I don't think Vauxhall would weld mounting points onto the chassis in different places and have different shaped bends because it could cost them a lot more
Joff

10th May 05 at 18:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So when all the parts are off the car, the cat is at the end of the manifold rather than the end of the exhaust system?

I'm pretty sure my 16v system was the other way around - manifold had a 2-hole flange for the cat section (with the rest of the system) all one-piece after it.
Adam_B

10th May 05 at 18:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would like a nice exhaust manifold for my c20xe. who is making them?

[Edited on 10-05-2005 by Adam_B]
James

10th May 05 at 19:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I might be interested in one for the GSi, are they worth having?

Any power gains?
Joff

10th May 05 at 19:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Adam_B
i would like a nice exhaust manifold for my c20xe. who is making them?

Depends on the numbers we get interested.

Blueflame and Piper are the likely ones at the moment, but also talking to others... either way they'll be made by a reputable exhaust company.
Joff

10th May 05 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James
I might be interested in one for the GSi, are they worth having?

Any power gains?

Power gains:
I've heard the std one is rated to 190bhp, how true that is I've no idea. There's a photo in the Mig gallery of SBD's manifold next to a standard XE one, can't remember if it was mild or stainless though.
Dan (J100) has a Tony Law manifold & system, huge bore and rates it highly.

Worth having:
Providing the downpipe is good and your existing exhaust system is made using the same pattern (normally Timax) then you'll be able to fit an XE and the manifold will go straight onto your exhaust system with no bodging.
James R

10th May 05 at 19:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've also heard the std manifold isn't restricitve till 190BHP, bu tI'vce seen no back to back tests.
In the space your talking about (OEM) the manifold will not be any better than the std £free XE one, it's a very well designed bit of kit to start with.
Only point in upgrading is if you are running TB's and so on.
ed

10th May 05 at 19:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Joff
So when all the parts are off the car, the cat is at the end of the manifold rather than the end of the exhaust system?

I'm pretty sure my 16v system was the other way around - manifold had a 2-hole flange for the cat section (with the rest of the system) all one-piece after it.

Yes, it goes:

Cast manifold -> Down pipe (with catalytic convertor as a permenantly attatched unit) -> Center section (with center silencer) -> Back box

on a 1.2 8v engine, I am sure this is the same for a 1.4 8v engine as they use a similar cast exhaust manifold from what I have seen...
Joff

10th May 05 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by j1400
I've also heard the std manifold isn't restricitve till 190BHP, bu tI'vce seen no back to back tests.
In the space your talking about (OEM) the manifold will not be any better than the std £free XE one, it's a very well designed bit of kit to start with.
Only point in upgrading is if you are running TB's and so on.

Yes, hence my desire to upgrade.
Greg_M

10th May 05 at 21:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the 1.0 12v exhaust is diofferent due to the Cat being in the engine bay,

just letting you know seeing as you asked.
Joff

10th May 05 at 21:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Greg.

Any idea where the join is between the 1.0 12v exhaust system and the manifold/downpipe?
Adam_B

10th May 05 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i can get diagrams of all the corsa exhaust sytems from the manifold back tomorrow if its any use? From Bosal catalogue.

[Edited on 10-05-2005 by Adam_B]
Joff

10th May 05 at 21:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That'd be nice, just to get an idea of what the market would be like.

I know Piper work to a standard pattern and I'm sure Blueflame do the same (as their system was a direct swap for the Piper system I had).
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

10th May 05 at 21:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
even I'll be paying.

Joff

10th May 05 at 21:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know.

I was physically sick whilst typing that.
James R

10th May 05 at 21:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IF you are going to the trouble, then you'll need a whole new exhaust anyways, why not get a SBD MK2 astra type C job, and make your new system from there in a 2.5" bore as needed??
Cheaper and 5% off with migweb
Twiggy

10th May 05 at 21:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
After speaking to a couple of manufacturers a stainless steel exhaust manifold for the Corsa B with an XE is on the cards, all we need is some pre-orders to get the ball rolling.

I can arrange donor vehicles local to the respective companies, so there's no need for people asking for a free system - even I'll be paying.

The manifold will be stainless steel and have a provision for a lambda sensor/blanking plate. Bore will be larger than standard with the downpipe designed to mate to the factory cat location on the 1.4/1.6.
Can anyone confirm if the downpipe is the same on the 1.2 16v, 1.0 and 8v engines?

The pipework may be designed to keep the factory location of the ARB and also clear the housing on the radiator fan, so no need for spacer blocks and a hammer.

Price is to be determined, but likely to be around £25-30.

Christ there well cheap!!!!! Stick me down for 3!!!
John

10th May 05 at 21:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 1800ed

This is a 1.28v exhaust, the manifold is one of those cast steel items, it has a down pipe with a catalytic convertor after the cat there is a clamp that attatches the downpipe to the center section. I'm sure a 16v exhaust would fit the car, I don't think Vauxhall would weld mounting points onto the chassis in different places and have different shaped bends because it could cost them a lot more

Somebodys put at least 1 of your tires on the wrong way mate.
Joff

10th May 05 at 21:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

While will I need a whole new exhaust?

The manifold will be designed to mate with the standard pattern exhaust system. Any exhaust manufacturer using a standard pattern, ie Piper, Blueflame (Mongoose), Magnex, Scorpion, etc will fit nicely.

Don't forget Corsa owners are a strange bunch - they all like to fit weird and wonderful tailpipes to their exhausts... TVR tailpipe anyone?
Joff

10th May 05 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by REDSPORT
quote:

Price is to be determined, but likely to be around £250-300.

Christ there well cheap!!!!! Stick me down for 3!!!

Sweet

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » ** Group buy: XE exhaust manifold for Corsa 22 database queries in 0.1900179 seconds