corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » FAO: Electronic Experts

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author FAO: Electronic Experts
Bart

User status: Offline
4th May 05 at 15:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Question:
In high speed switching inverters, what is 'ringing' and how can it be reduced?

Anyone
Adam
Mark Petty

4th May 05 at 15:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did A-Level electronics but I failed
Richie

4th May 05 at 15:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What is ringing and what happens to the motor when I place it more than 50 feet away from the drive without a line reactor?
A: High voltage ringing (reflective voltage) occurs on all VFDs. With IGBTs replacing SCRs on smaller, more in-expensive drives, ringing has become more pronounced. This capacitive-coupling effect is caused by high speed switching (commutation). Distance greatly enhances the effect. Cables on the output side of the drive act like capacitors. When the IGBTs switch or produce the PWM output, the higher frequency part of the current will find a path through that capacitance. Think of the cable as a capacitor that increases in size as the cable length increases. Ringing is very detrimental to motors; it weakens the first stage rotor windings and shortens the life expectancy of a motor. This is especially true for motors under 10 hp. Typically they are machine wound, have thinner coats of varnish, and have neither phase nor end paper (I.E. aggregate insulation properties). That's why we always recommend a drive rated motor. Vintage and non-drive rated motors that are used with VFDs have a lifespan of unknown length. You simply cannot know what to expect from them. Long cable runs with ringing can add 10 to 15% to the drive's current rating, causing the drive to trip out on excessive current. The capacitance will also cause a voltage drop that may cause speed performance problems on the lower end of the speed scale (increased current demand for demanded torque). A few general guidelines: 1) Try to reduce distances as much as possible, 2) Use an output line reactor on cabled distances greater than 50 feet, 3) Always use a drive-rated motor.
Richie

4th May 05 at 15:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

surely thats similar
Bart

11th May 05 at 08:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i found that richie, but its not really it.
i think its, if you examine a waveform of for example a switch, which is either on or off, you will get semi contact before the switch is actually on (slight overshoot and undershoot before the sinewave levels off).
But i cant find anything else on this. its not enough info to answer the questions

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » FAO: Electronic Experts 22 database queries in 0.0096819 seconds