corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » '93 K Corsa 1.2LS Engine Running Probs

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author '93 K Corsa 1.2LS Engine Running Probs
keithsayle

User status: Offline
   12th Apr 05 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi,

Just been out to pick up some milk from the supermarket and my brother's 93K Corsa 1.2LS with 125,000 miles is seriously down on power and is kangarooing. :-(

The car has just been serviced on Saturday and has been fitted with genuine Vauxhall parts: new plugs, new filters, and new oil.

Previous to the service it was very sluggish, and so when the service was carried out everything was perfect for about 3 days.

Today he went to college and it sounded lumpy, and tonight when we went to pick up the milk and he started from cold it was very lumpy and kangarooing. We came out the supermarket and it was almost as if it was running normally but felt like it was missing on tickover.

What could be the cause of this? He gave his friend a lift home on Sunday and we both called in somewhere on the way back - perfect. He gave me a lift to college in it yesterday and it was perfect and even drove to Durham for a gig last night and it must have been OK, but today when he uses it something's not right.

The Engine Management light isn't lighting up, although on the way back from dropping his friend off on Sunday the oil light was flickering, so he immediately pulled over and checked the oil which was fine.

Sorry for the essay, but if anyone has any suggestions I will pass them on to him.

Cheers

Keith
Adam-D

13th Apr 05 at 06:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

coolent sensor
or very possibly the crankshaft sensor
or related
RKS

13th Apr 05 at 12:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dirty fuel maybe? does your bro run the car really low on fuel before filling up? some crap from the bottom of the tank may have come up and is clogging the fuel system?
Will94

13th Apr 05 at 17:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a sensor causing it in my opinion.. agree with adam tho prolly coolant temp sensor. whip out a spark plug, if its black its def overfuelling a lot. only about 20 quid max for a new sensor tho so worth a try
keithsayle

13th Apr 05 at 23:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the replies.

It seems to run like a biatch when it's cold and when it's warm it either runs almost normally or it continues misfiring and kangarooing such as as if it was cold so I think coolant sensor sounds like a possiblity.

Regarding the fuel situation, it was misfiring and kangarooing before it had the service and the fuel filter was changed along with the spark plugs.

The day that the car was serviced (Saturday) and Sunday and Monday the car was behaving as normal. One of the spark plugs when it was changed for the service was absolutely black although the other three were bad they were not as bad.

Will try and get hold of a spark plug spanner and have a look at the plugs and compare them to the ones that were taken out.

I'll keep you updated on the progress.

Keith
keithsayle

18th Apr 05 at 22:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just an update to say that my bro's Corsa is now running perfectly again

The HT leads, distributor cap and rotor arm were all changed and we suspect it was either one of the leads or the distributor cap itself was shot as it is running better now than it has done for a long time

Thanks for the advice offered and we know where to look for anything Corsa related.

Keith

Adam-D

19th Apr 05 at 06:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New Poll