corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » computers - home network

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author computers - home network
koolkorsa

User status: Offline
4th Apr 05 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just wondering if someone could list me what kit I need to buy in order to set up a wireless home network of 3 computers. Need it to share internet and printers. 1 desktop, 1 wi-fi laptop and 1 older laptop. So please could someone tell me the kit needed and perhaps approximate price. Would be a great help, thanks.
Dan Lewis

4th Apr 05 at 16:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a router, that plugs into the main pc which the internet is connected.
then the wifi laptop shouldnt need anything but the older one will need a card. should be able to do it for under a £100 easy
Andrew

4th Apr 05 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've a BY Voyger 2100 and a 2000 back at home which are quite good. Have a look on the BT web-site as they sometimes have kits. Your prob best having the desktop wired into the router and then have the cards for the laptops. Think the BT routers come with the cable for a wired in system too; can't be positive on that as i've that much shit about.
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

4th Apr 05 at 16:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

PC World had a belkin network kit on sale for £9.99 should have been around £30

and then all you would need ontop of this is a wireless card for the older laptop!

Or if you not so fussed about wireless just buy a patch cable and plug it into the hub!

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
koolkorsa

4th Apr 05 at 16:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right sort of understand what i need. Just one thing i didn't mention - the desktip computer will only be at home half the year so could I just plug a router into the older laptop, the wifi laptop need nothing then get a wireless network card for my desktop?
TNM

4th Apr 05 at 16:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

KoolKorsa: Do you use broadband at home?

If so you want a D-link router and modem Price about 50-60 quid. And for printer if you have a normal printer with USB then buy a USP print server price is about 30 quid.

USB print server plugs in to your modem / router. internet will be available all the time when its plugged in. Need network cars for everything connecting to it
TNM

4th Apr 05 at 16:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Router and modem

print server

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » computers - home network 23 database queries in 0.0083330 seconds