corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » People who know about wireless networks...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author People who know about wireless networks...
psycho sport

User status: Offline
   25th Mar 05 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a wireless network set up using a BT Voyager 2100 Wireless ADSL modem Router. The signal where i use the interenet on my laptop is a bit crap.

Is it possible to buy a second unit and run it from the same phone line but move the router closer to my room to boost the signal?

or is there an alternative option?

cheers
afitc

25th Mar 05 at 17:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u can get a repeater, u can usually find cheap ones on ebay, dlink are pretty good and easy to set up. weve extended a wifi network up a whole street with 7 repeaters.
Kerry

25th Mar 05 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have the same wireless router

anyone know how to set it up full stop
Andrew

25th Mar 05 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kerry
i have the same wireless router

anyone know how to set it up full stop

Just plug it in and read the instructions. I've the same one and got it working in seconds
Andrew

25th Mar 05 at 18:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by afitc
u can get a repeater, u can usually find cheap ones on ebay, dlink are pretty good and easy to set up. weve extended a wifi network up a whole street with 7 repeaters.

^^^

What he said
Ant

26th Mar 05 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i was under the impresion you could cahnge the airiel for one of a higher decibal rating, At work we use multiple access points to cover a big area (25,000 sq ft) but these are hard wired, I would have thought most wireless solutions should be adequate in a residential setting. How far away is it?
Ian
Site Administrator

26th Mar 05 at 14:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You could just move the router to another phone socket assuming you don't have too many phones in the house already.

They usually work best on the first phone socket in the house but I'd try it in others if that gets it closer to where you want to use the laptop.
Andrew

27th Mar 05 at 01:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was thinking that Ian but has he not got wired in networks connected to the router too or is my brain doing too much overtime again He doesn't state this though

Also, with mine i've got it set up like Ian says, in the first phone line socket. But in my case i only have two rooms in the whole flat so reception is not a problem. Back at home i've the older 2000 version and again have it set up in the first phone line socket which is in the front room of the house. You can get a signal up to the end of the drive and even in the loft.

[Edited on 27-03-2005 by Peugeot Nut]

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » People who know about wireless networks... 22 database queries in 0.0071862 seconds