corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » GSi nearly met its maker on Friday Night

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author GSi nearly met its maker on Friday Night
PaulW

User status: Offline
   21st Mar 05 at 09:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was off to Liverpool on Friday night, driving along, didnt really notice anything different...

Must of done what... 15 miles or so, then when I stopped at the first set of traffic lights, and when I pulled off, there was loads of smoke coming from the back of me!

I didn't have anywhere I could pull over safely for atleast another 2 miles, as I was on a regular road & was a bypass with no hard-shoulders, so hard to keep going, so kept my speed down...

When I finally stopped, there were plooms of white smoke coming from the bonnet, so I lifted the bonnet & noticed the engine had pissed all its oil overitself!

The Oil Filler cap had come off!!!

I let the engine cool a bit, and then checked the oil level... it was a few mm up from the BOTTOM of the dipstick! I guess there was still some pressure in it, as the oil-pressure light didnt even light up so 'hopefully' she's ok!

Luckily I had a new bottle of oil in the car, which I was going to do an oil change on Wednesday with, so I was ableto use HALF the 5ltr bottle to re-fill the car! Then put the filler cap back on which I'm a bit unsure about now... Luckily it got wedged between the radiator & the cooling fan!!!

There was a 'bit' of mayo on the cap, but tbh I reckon it was just cos the oil was running near empty, as coolant levels are still fine!

I'm sooooo lucky it didnt seize up or drain any more! Was well brickin it thinkin I'd done loads of damage, but after I re-topped up the oil, I started the engine & it sounded just like normal! No rattles, squeeks, no smoke from the exhaust, nothin!

Only thing I do have now is smoke coming FROM the engine where I cant clean the oil off, and also a VERY dirty inlet manifold

I've checked the timing belt & drive belt, they seems to be ok, no oil got to them (luckily) but the heat padding insulation stuff on the bonnet is SOAKED with oil!

Lucky isn't the word!
Siberia

21st Mar 05 at 09:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive had mine with no oil reading on the dipstick no oil light either
Graham

21st Mar 05 at 09:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

"thats more than lucky"
PaulW

21st Mar 05 at 09:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Siberia
ive had mine with no oil reading on the dipstick no oil light either

Oil light didn't come on with me either... bloody crap I'm sure it only registers at 0 pressure!
Andrew

21st Mar 05 at 09:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graham

"thats more than lucky"

RKS

21st Mar 05 at 09:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oil pressure light isnt an oil pressure light, its a gameover light lmao
Colin

21st Mar 05 at 09:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I ran my GSi dry after 5 weeks of ownership, big end went and cost me £1800 to put right!

This was years ago before there were many XE conversions on the go or I would have slotted 1 of them in instead.
MoNkEy MaGiC

21st Mar 05 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bloody hell mate!! you almost fcuked up your Gsi!!!
so it happend all because of the oil cap came of!????

take of the heat padding and wipe of all the spilled/oil anywere that you can otherwise it will just burn and smoke away till its all burnt!

my oil light has never come on!! yet it burns oil like theirs no tomorrow lol
but i guess thats because ive never let the oil drop that low
PaulW

21st Mar 05 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know it almost died duno HOW the fook the cap came off! Every time I'm workin under the bonnet, I always check make sure everything is secure... Can't see it rattling-loose & its not done it since either!

Should removing the padding help engine temperatures when its summer & keep it cool better? Always a grey area this...

I cleaned what I could from off the engine, the rest is stained on the inlet/rocker cover & some wiring at the back of the engine... Some went down the plug-bores but cleaned what I could up!

It is missing 'slightly' now during idle though, but its not consuming oil or coolant any different than before, still the usual coolant leak at the thermostat housing & slight bit of oil loss, but nothing major!
MatthewR

21st Mar 05 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My oil cap came off once on my old corsa was a 1.2 i didnt even know untill about a week later!!!!!!!!
think that fucked it up - got stolen anyway!
Greasemonkey

21st Mar 05 at 12:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This happened to my GSI also, it suddenly went very very tappy top end, then the oil got on the manifold and it smoked badly, should be fine dood, but as said if the oil light does come on the damage has already been done
PaulW

21st Mar 05 at 12:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well no light did come on! and the oil literally was 2mm up from the BOTTOM of the dipstick...

Colin

21st Mar 05 at 12:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Light didnt come on mine until it was making sounds a tractor would be proud of and well fucked up!!!

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » GSi nearly met its maker on Friday Night 22 database queries in 0.0113461 seconds