corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Uni Folk - Student Accounts + Loads

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Uni Folk - Student Accounts + Loads
Dom

User status: Offline
18th Mar 05 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right guys,
Just been butchering around for info on student accounts and just wondering who everyone (at uni) currently bank with, good/bad points, what they offer etc?

Im with barclays at the mo, but my mate has suggested HSBC as they offer a good student package and insurance (something which i need with all my music equipment) - but apparently there internet banking is abit wank

Also, can anyone point me in the direction of student loads? - I know its to do with my LEA and that, and i can sign up at www.studentfinancedirect.co.uk (currently down ) but anyone got any websites/info on loans etc as im completly lost on where the load comes from, payments, how much im allowed etc etc

tar all,
Dom
Jamie

18th Mar 05 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Guessing you live away from home?

I'm with Bank Of Scotland and get £100 overdraft

Never touched it, BUT I am living at home thru College & Uni.
Dom

18th Mar 05 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea, im going to huddersfield so im staying on campus there - hence why i need insurance etc etc

yea barclays and HSBC both offer good overdrafts (like 200 quid+), but just wondering if anyone uses either of them, good/bad points with either etc

I did have a look at natwest, but they dont seem to offer a lot from what they state on there site, but again, if anyone uses them etc
Jamie

18th Mar 05 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I opened an account with NatWest about two years ago
got £50 free, and the idea is that you put your loan in

Seeing as SAAS pay for Scottish tuition fees i didnt get a loan

So that was a cheap night out

Sorry cant be of more help, probably best speaking to your Student Union
Welsh Dan

18th Mar 05 at 22:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have two student accounts. One through HSBC and the other through Halifax. Both offer £750 interest free overdraft in the first year, £1000 the second and £1250 the third. Halifax charge for going over your overdraft and HSBC are usually more lenient. However, Halifax is quicker to pay in money and less hassle.
SetH

18th Mar 05 at 22:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

HSBC been really good to me, and their graduate package is ace also. gave me a 2 grand ovedraft which was interest free for 3 years. graduate personal loan at a wicked rate as well. worth thinking long time for when u finish uni as well imho.
Andrew

18th Mar 05 at 23:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bank with Lloyds TSB. I remember my Dad taking my sister and I to open the accounts when I was around 6 or 7. Just kept with that bank ever since. Seems silly to open another account when this one does everything I need. Whenever I ask them for anything there fine about it and haven’t been turned down ever so far but I tend to keep the account fairly high in credit.

Also got a couple of Halifax saving accounts. They are a bit of a pain as you have to order large quantities of cash 7 days before hand. Don’t really use them much but will be doing so in the next couple of years as I wanna save for a deposit on either a rundown house and do it up or an apartment.
Carl

19th Mar 05 at 00:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'm with NAtwest, got a 1000 quid intrest free overdraft for the first year and it goes up every year, try not to use it but im 100 into it already!
infinitycorsa

19th Mar 05 at 00:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont have any probs with hsbc online at all

personel choice
Karen

19th Mar 05 at 00:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Peugeot Nut
Also got a couple of Halifax saving accounts. They are a bit of a pain as you have to order large quantities of cash 7 days before hand.

And who told u this?
I worked at Halifax. You can go in anytime and get as much money out as u want as long as u have the funds in the account
Only account u needed to wait was the ISA but they changed the law on this and u can now take money out there without notice now too

[Edited on 19-03-2005 by foxy lady]
Cavey

19th Mar 05 at 01:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Natwest are good, certain places will give you cashback still, even when you're over ur overdraft limit !! Good for me, shit for debt tho
John

19th Mar 05 at 02:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

RBS, 1250 overdraft in the 1st year. Goes up every year if you want afaik.
Simon

19th Mar 05 at 17:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CrazyCarlo
i'm with NAtwest, got a 1000 quid intrest free overdraft for the first year and it goes up every year, try not to use it but im 100 into it already!

Im with them too plus got a free 5year rail card when signed up which is good.
Thoday

19th Mar 05 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i got £40 free from Abbey and a £1600 interest free overdraft
Tom_1.216v

19th Mar 05 at 19:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you'll get somin like £4200 a year of the Lea.
Dom

19th Mar 05 at 20:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers all

ill have to go around the banks then later this week and see what goodies they'll offer apart from the usual - railcard would be extremely useful

cheers again peeps,
dom
Andrew

19th Mar 05 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by foxy lady
quote:
Originally posted by Peugeot Nut
Also got a couple of Halifax saving accounts. They are a bit of a pain as you have to order large quantities of cash 7 days before hand.

And who told u this?
I worked at Halifax. You can go in anytime and get as much money out as u want as long as u have the funds in the account
Only account u needed to wait was the ISA but they changed the law on this and u can now take money out there without notice now too

[Edited on 19-03-2005 by foxy lady]

One account is an ISA and the other an Instant Saver. Haven't needed to take any money out for over 6 months. However, it's probably because i use a small branch and they don't keep much money on the premises.
antscorsa

19th Mar 05 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have a 1250 overdraft from abbey national but i think i need a job cos im 700 into it

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Uni Folk - Student Accounts + Loads 22 database queries in 0.0177031 seconds