corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Chargecoolers

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Chargecoolers
broster
Premium Member

User status: Offline
10th Mar 05 at 21:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How do they work, i know its like a water cooled version of the intercooler, but how is it plumbed in etc? how does the water cool?
Kerry

10th Mar 05 at 21:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i thought it was a way of cooling the intake air more and was used on conjunction with an intercooler
broster
Premium Member

10th Mar 05 at 21:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no i got it all sussed now, basically its instead of an intercooler and it uses water to cool the boost air stuff
*Donna*
Banned

10th Mar 05 at 21:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They are not used instead of an intercooler

You have a chargecooler radiator on front of car, with piping coming from that, to the intercooler which is usually ontop of the engine, to cool down the intercooler

Basically Kerry was correct
broster
Premium Member

10th Mar 05 at 21:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no its used instead of an intercoler, can be used with but its mostly done instead.....
vibrio
Banned

10th Mar 05 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

air goes through like an intercooler but there is a water jacket around the fins to cool it
Kerry

10th Mar 05 at 21:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

basically water transfers heat better than air. so the compressed air that comes from the turbo and is super hot is cooled by the water before it goes into the engine. it is more efficient than an intercooler and takes up less space. but can be used with an intercooler depending on engine bay
stubs

10th Mar 05 at 21:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah, stuff it

[Edited on 10-03-2005 by stubs]
Kerry

10th Mar 05 at 21:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sorry
stubs

10th Mar 05 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

vibrio
Banned

10th Mar 05 at 22:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by *Donna*

You have a chargecooler radiator on front of car, with piping coming from that, to the intercooler which is usually ontop of the engine, to cool down the intercooler

nice to see somepeople post even though they don;t have a clue - reminds me of a certain some one else
*Donna*
Banned

10th Mar 05 at 23:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just going by what i have been told. If i am wrong, i am wrong
DAYZEE

10th Mar 05 at 23:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kerry
basically water transfers heat better than air. so the compressed air that comes from the turbo and is super hot is cooled by the water before it goes into the engine. it is more efficient than an intercooler and takes up less space. but can be used with an intercooler depending on engine bay

Its not always more efficient, large intercoolers are better than chargecoolers with small resovoirs as heat soak causes the water to warm up.
The efficiency depends what you buy and how you use it....
broster
Premium Member

11th Mar 05 at 07:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

j1400 explained it all, canna be arsed to say what he said but its basically what in this tread
starkie

11th Mar 05 at 08:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by *Donna*

the charge cooler is the intercooler and you really dont want it on top of the engine as the bonnet wouldnt shut also these arent more efficient than an intercooler UNLESS they are used in racing boats where the water temp is lower than that of the air temp this is the only time they become more than 100% efficient or where air ducting isnt really possible like mid engined cars then charge coolers are more benificial

[Edited on 11-03-2005 by starkie]
James R

11th Mar 05 at 08:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

*cough*GT4 celicas*cough*

Think you'll find toyota saw fit to stick it on top of the engine on the ST165 and ST205, the ST185 had a air to air (except RC and CS editions) It's the shortest route from turbo to inlet.
and the std charge cooler on the ST205 is good for around 300BHP, that's before yoiu've added a even bigger resovoir to the system.

starkie

11th Mar 05 at 08:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and is it not part of the inlet manifold the same as subaru use besides they dropped there engine down to allow fitment of these

[Edited on 11-03-2005 by starkie]
Stu

11th Mar 05 at 10:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Chargecooler is only as effecient as the temp of the water going through them! Prefer intercoolers personally, a lot more simple and more efficient!

Chargecoolers are good if you have a lack of space though!

Or you could do both?

Paula Corsa

11th Mar 05 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just bought a cylindrical charge cooler from the states. It's a really cool piece if kit. Nearly all cnc machined and aits massive. Much bigger than the Pace ones and it was cheaper too.
Stu

11th Mar 05 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paula Corsa
Just bought a cylindrical charge cooler from the states. It's a really cool piece if kit. Nearly all cnc machined and aits massive. Much bigger than the Pace ones and it was cheaper too.

Where are you using your water from? Are you gonna use a seperate water tank and rad or are you just using the engines water?
Paula Corsa

11th Mar 05 at 12:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Separate tank and rad.
Stu

11th Mar 05 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paula Corsa
Separate tank and rad.

Sweet, that the way forward I reckon, its not always practical though! Thats why Ive never been a fan of chargecoolers, most of them just use the engines water which is hot anyway (granted its water that is after the rad and pre engine but its still gonna be warm)

Guess if your running a seperate supply you could even run a water ethanol mix to cool it further!

Get some pics up!!!
Paula Corsa

11th Mar 05 at 12:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm trying to find some pics. Gonna chuck some ice cubes in to start off. see how that works, then try the ethanol!!
Paula Corsa

11th Mar 05 at 12:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Click on the link. Click intercoolers, then liquid to air. it's like the one in the pic, but a bit bigger.

http://www.pwr.com.au/pwr/index_new.html

[Edited on 11-03-2005 by Paula Corsa]
Patrick

11th Mar 05 at 12:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was thinking about the possibility of running a front mounted intercooler and a large chargecooler on my z20let, then I lost all interest and now want to sell.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Chargecoolers 22 database queries in 0.2015240 seconds