corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Speedo Accuracy (was 'Running in?')

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Speedo Accuracy (was 'Running in?')
*Donna*
Banned

User status: Offline
9th Mar 05 at 00:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by bradfincham
well i wouldnt want a road angel if that read 101 mph and the clocks 120 mph!!

Why not? If he got clocked at 101, then road angel was accurate, and the clocks very inaccurate.

[Edited on 09-03-2005 by Ian]
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
9th Mar 05 at 00:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
The Road Angel is accurate, the clocks are not.
bradfincham

9th Mar 05 at 01:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i simply havent read anything inot the road angel, i would have said that it should be bang on what your clocks where as surely the clocks are accurate from new?? or everyone could argue the case there clocks were 15% inaccurate??

And im sorry on that but i didnt recall seing the blue corsa i only saw your corsa and you driving it!
Dom

9th Mar 05 at 01:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by *Donna*
quote:

Why not? If he got clocked at 101, then road angel was accurate, and the clocks very inaccurate.

was just about to say - GPS, accurate to 3ft vs the cars clocks that are about as accurate as an arthritis ridden person aiming of the loos bowl

[Edited on 09-03-2005 by Dom]
*Donna*
Banned

9th Mar 05 at 01:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
i simply havent read anything inot the road angel, i would have said that it should be bang on what your clocks where as surely the clocks are accurate from new?? or everyone could argue the case there clocks were 15% inaccurate??

And im sorry on that but i didnt recall seing the blue corsa i only saw your corsa and you driving it!

Clocks typically over read, the faster you go, usually the more they over read. Its against the law for them to under read. I would say no car speedo is accurate, however, a Road Angel is.
bradfincham

9th Mar 05 at 01:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

on pauls case i work out (crap maths) his clocks are 20% higher than the road angel??

Are you saying that when im doing an alledged 70 mph in my car im actually doing 56mph??

mmmm

[Edited on 09-03-2005 by bradfincham]
*Donna*
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
quote:

was just about to say - GPS, accurate to 3ft vs the cars clocks that are about as accurate as an arthritis ridden person aiming of the loos bowl

[Edited on 09-03-2005 by Dom]

Dom

quote:
quote:

Clocks typically over read, the faster you go, usually the more they over read. Its against the law for them to under read. I would say no car speedo is accurate, however, a Road Angel is.

unlike cars clocks, GPS is the opposite - its less accurate at lowers speeds, but the faster you go the better it gets
Paul_J

9th Mar 05 at 01:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeh my Pug clocks over read about 5 mph even at 40 mph! ... Over 100 mph you can truely see how inacurate it gets ...

Even though the Revs are still showing say 4.5k and thus the speedo is showing 90 mph - the road angel may only be showing like 82 mph!
*Donna*
Banned

9th Mar 05 at 01:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
on pauls case i work out (crap maths) his clocks are 25% higher than the road angel??

Are you saying that when im doing an alledged 70 mph in my car im actually doing 56mph??

mmmm

You never know, i have tested a road angel in my fathers car. Road Angel read 30mph, car speedo read 37mph. Thats 7mph out at just 30mph

[Edited on 09-03-2005 by *Donna*]
Dom

9th Mar 05 at 01:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
on pauls case i work out (crap maths) his clocks are 25% higher than the road angel??

mmmm

at the end of the day does it really matter??

he got a tanned arse, hes prolly gonna pay through the nose for it - i wouldnt worry about it

Same as nismo mate, at the end of the day theres worse things to loose sleep over than what he/she/it said on the internet about this and that
Paul_J

9th Mar 05 at 01:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

mmmm

Because my friend... It's all dependant on speed... At 56 mph the clocks won't be that inacurate...

I don't know how you work out 25% inaccurate anyway? I said when I'm doing about 90 mph on clocks it shows about 83 mph on road angel... when I'm doing 115 mph on clocks it only shows about 103ish on road angel.

Considering the speedo over-reads about 4/5 mph when Im doing about 40 mph ... I would imagine it'd get more inacurate as I get quicker.

[Edited on 09-03-2005 by Paul_J]
Ian
Site Administrator

9th Mar 05 at 01:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
I don't know how you work out 25% inaccurate anyway?
Difference between the speeds as a percentage of the higher one (or the lower one if you want to make it look more).
Paul_J

9th Mar 05 at 01:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
I don't know how you work out 25% inaccurate anyway?
Difference between the speeds as a percentage of the higher one (or the lower one if you want to make it look more).

Yes... and from 115 and 103 mph you get 25 %?
bradfincham

9th Mar 05 at 01:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no ive spoken through u2u with paul, hes a good bloke just was unlucky

but im intrigued into how different the speedo and roadangel are,

so if all manufacturers were to use a road angel for 0-62 mph tests you say that the times would increase (if road angel was more accurate slower speeds)

so for example

In the ultima i have seen 165 mph on the clocks - stack dash!
would that equate to only 132 mph on the road angel??
Ian
Site Administrator

9th Mar 05 at 01:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
If you assume that an Ultima with a stack dash has the same margin of error as the 106 - unlikely.
*Donna*
Banned

9th Mar 05 at 01:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

stack dash - being the key word in your post

Paul_J

9th Mar 05 at 01:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
no ive spoken through u2u with paul, hes a good bloke just was unlucky

but im intrigued into how different the speedo and roadangel are,

so if all manufacturers were to use a road angel for 0-62 mph tests you say that the times would increase (if road angel was more accurate slower speeds)

so for example

I'm hoping mate manufacturers don't test their 0-62 mph with a speedo and a stop watch and use proper timing gear.

165 mph would more likely be say 149 mph or something like that... But its more dependant on how the tyres expand mate. High profile soft tyres are more likely to expand at higher speed than lower profile tyres I'd assume.
bradfincham

no 101 + 25% = 126 mph as you said clocks have read

im just intrigued thats all, how far in accurate the clocks are

ian im not trying to make it look worse/better as i said im just intrigued to how accurate/inaccurate all this stuff is
Paul_J

Also Brad... Next time we meet up - I'll put the Road Angel in your car and we'll go for a spin... Just out of interest see what we get?
bradfincham

9th Mar 05 at 01:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mm, yeh i can see all the maths behind and the tyre walls etc i just fid it shocking to see how different these really are!
so my corsa could never do 130 mph realistically more like 120 ish?
Ian
Site Administrator

9th Mar 05 at 01:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doesn't the stack dash take speed signal from the rear wheel ABS sender? Program it with tyre size and it should be fairly accurate.

Standard car stuff uses stepped down gearbox motion which goes through another analogue phase when you turn it in to a reading. Its asking for trouble.

GPS sensors know where you are to within a few metres and also as each reading it date stamped to a few hundredth of a second, how long it too you to get there. Far better way of doing it.
bradfincham

9th Mar 05 at 01:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok the ultima was a bad case but thats the fastest ive ever driven,
how about a supra for example??
Paul_J

9th Mar 05 at 01:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
no 101 + 25% = 126 mph as you said clocks have read

im just intrigued thats all, how far in accurate the clocks are

ian im not trying to make it look worse/better as i said im just intrigued to how accurate/inaccurate all this stuff is

No...? 126 mph where did you get this figure? first you said I said I was doing 130 mph, then you said I was doing 120, now your saying I was doing 126 mph??? Make your mind up

I walked into the pub and said I might of been doing 120 mph on the clocks ... I thought I cleared this up in the u2u I sent.

I have no idea when they clocked me mate. but they definately didn't use laser equipment as the road angel would of picked that up - They saw the road angel and thus used a technique of matching my speed, with their Calibrated speedo and then keeping a equal distance.

They claimed I was clocked doing 101 mph as I passed them. (meaning on the inside lane they were doing 101 mph also!!!) ... but the fact I passed them, I accelerated a bit more... Then later I noticed blue lights behind me.

I said 'I saw 120 ish on my clocks!' - I did not say, 'At the EXACT moment they clocked me at 101 mph, I saw 120 on my clocks / road angel / whatever!!!!'...

Give it a rest mate.

Paul J
*Donna*
Banned

9th Mar 05 at 01:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
ok the ultima was a bad case but thats the fastest ive ever driven,
how about a supra for example??

Supra, standard road car, speedo will just be as inaccurate as the majority of other road cars

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Speedo Accuracy (was 'Running in?') 22 database queries in 0.1818810 seconds