corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » making own stealth shelf

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author making own stealth shelf
Danny H

User status: Offline
23rd Feb 05 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thinking about making my own stealth shelf, but have no idea how to do it.

how thick would the mdf have to be, and how do you go about getting the dimensions right and fitting the little bits to hook on to the plastic pins, so it will lift up and down?

any pics or tips would be a great help, cheers.
Carr

23rd Feb 05 at 15:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bout 12 or 18mm not 100% sure which. just use your old parcel shelf as a template with a mm or so to spare as you will be carpeting it or whatever.
greengoddess

23rd Feb 05 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont worry about trying to fit the things that lift it, chances are your gas struts wont be able to lift it when its got speakers in.As said above make from 12 or 18mm MDF and carpet it.Its also best to fit 2 bits of wood across its width to stop it sagging over time in the middle. I done mine either side of my speakers and its never sagged.
dean.bavister

25th Feb 05 at 18:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i made my own im also a joiner (make shit out of wood) generally the thicker the better for sound reasons i use 22mm mdf you can buy a lightweight mdf but dont really need too!! just adds a bit more weight no point with the hinges etc it will BE TO HEAVY TO LIFT I TRIED DOIN MINE COULDNT BE ARSED IN THE END just lift it manualyy when u need to get undernieth
BromleyBoy

25th Feb 05 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my own ACOUSTIC STELF:i found 18mm mdf the best,cut to right shape offer up your speakers and cut the holes,get some 10mm thick foam lay on top stick with spray glue,cut the holes out and tidy the edges,get yourself some black/grey acoustic material and stretch over the whole thing,dont cut the speaker holes out!!! the materail is acoustic so lets the notes past whilst be suttle and un noticable!!i used a small gauge piece of angle iron underneath as a strengthener to stop sagging and you can loose this when you wrap the foam round,you can even screw the shelf down etc. mine looks rather good!

New Poll