corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » my pic in redline........

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author my pic in redline........
Stone Cold Rattlesnake

User status: Offline
16th Feb 05 at 23:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by koolkorsa
Why is it such a big issue that he has used your photo?

Because he is using it to make money i.e. sell his car - with a craper picture taken say by the owner it wouldnt attract more attention and look as good
Stone Cold Rattlesnake

16th Feb 05 at 23:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't buy it. It's simple a case of someone stealing the fruits of someone else's talent.

Whats the point of having Photographers then if photo's are free for everyone?
Drew
Banned

16th Feb 05 at 23:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Stone Cold Rattlesnake
I don't buy it. It's simple a case of someone stealing the fruits of someone else's talent.

because they do not upload there pics to a website where everyone can freely view them

[Edited on 16-02-2005 by Drew]
Nismo

16th Feb 05 at 23:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Drew
quote:

because they do not upload there pics to a website where everyone can freely view them

[Edited on 16-02-2005 by Drew]

anything that is put on the internet is made public. if you want it to stay private do not publicly show it to the world.
Ian
Site Administrator

16th Feb 05 at 23:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When the pic is uploaded its ownership doesn't change.

The car is in public therefore can be photographed.

Its a big issue because that is actually how the law sees it, plus its a bit cheeky.

Files in a cache are not being republished.

Pictures can be displayed for review quite legally, in this thread for example.

If its on the Internet is it not automatically 'made public'. Complete myth. Read the law.

The law exists to protect those people who produce and publish material, those who wish to keep material private are capable of doing so without the protection of such acts. Different group of people.
Drew
Banned

16th Feb 05 at 23:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so if i went to icys site, picked a picture, and posted it on here, im breaking the law?
Drew
Banned

16th Feb 05 at 23:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

infact

come to think of it

there are many many pics of cars on icys site, euro cars etc, from shows around the world, that he has not taken, so he does not have permission to have on his site

hypocritical?
Nismo

16th Feb 05 at 23:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
infact

come to think of it

there are many many pics of cars on icys site, euro cars etc, from shows around the world, that he has not taken, so he does not have permission to have on his site

hypocritical?

exactly
Ian
Site Administrator

16th Feb 05 at 23:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
so if i went to icys site, picked a picture, and posted it on here, im breaking the law?
No, because its for review, you're not actually publishing it. If you integrated in to a web site you wrote though, yes you would be. Same for print if you include it in a printed publication.

Taking other peoples pictures I don't see as hypocritical, there is a point of contact there in which a request can be made for a picture to be removed. They're not published and there is no loss.

Whether or not there is loss with the classified pic would have to be argued of course.
Ian
Site Administrator

16th Feb 05 at 23:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nismo
quote:
blah blah

exactly
You two can continue agreeing with each other, or you can actually know the law. At the moment I don't think you both do.
Stone Cold Rattlesnake

16th Feb 05 at 23:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does this count for all the photo's, music, films, tv shows, applications that people download from the internet aswell from BT sites? i think the right is with the owner of whatever is uploaded

Maybe not worth going to court i guess, perhaps a warning to password protect or plaster your name across the pic totally? Some sort of security measure needs to be done to avoid this happening again if you dont want it to
Nismo

16th Feb 05 at 23:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
quote:
blah blah

exactly
You two can continue agreeing with each other, or you can actually know the law. At the moment I don't think you both do.

A Scouse that knows the law can it be
Ian
Site Administrator

17th Feb 05 at 00:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
...download from the internet aswell from BT sites? i think the right is with the owner of whatever is uploaded

Nope - it wouldn't have transferred to them originally before they uploaded it from CD/DVD etc. so they don't own it to pass it on or not care as the case may be.

quote:
Maybe not worth going to court i guess, perhaps a warning to password protect or plaster your name across the pic totally? Some sort of security measure needs to be done to avoid this happening again if you dont want it to
Completely not worth going to court as there's no loss. Plastering your name ruins the pic and is unnecessary - the pics are protected automatically by law. There is no real way to stop it aside from perhaps education on the part of those in a position to take pics like a statement on the site somewhere to read, or more checks done by the mags - paper exercise at best.
Stone Cold Rattlesnake

17th Feb 05 at 00:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Icy's gotta start somewhere hasn't he? surely if he lets people use his photo's for nothing then he wont really make a living from it?

I agree there should be a statement on the site somewhere

I suppose he can approach mags etc. but would mags. realistically hire photographers who don't charge in some sort of way?

With regards to uploading from CD/DVD doesnt whoever buys it own it from there own and entitled to make a backup copy? i know theres a copyright statement on cd and dvd sleeves so i guess this covers them right which what should be on the website where his photo's were taken from?
Ian
Site Administrator

17th Feb 05 at 00:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The right to make a backup is usually explicitly stated by the licence holder, used to see this on computer games on floppy etc. that one backup copy was acceptable. Being able to make them of CD/DVD these days is a bit of a myth as well unfortunately.
Icy

17th Feb 05 at 01:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

think il watermark them now

about me takin the pics and makin them public, i put logo on them coz i want ppl to know that i took them. wouldnt want ppl havin them jus like that and they could say they took it kinda thing.
dont think am makin sense here
Jodi_the_g

17th Feb 05 at 01:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you sure you do not need to register it with the UK patent office to have copyright as most other things you do.

I can right music for example but its not copyrighted until i register it.
Jodi_the_g

17th Feb 05 at 01:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry i am wrong, its not like a patent
Icy

17th Feb 05 at 01:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats different tho
iv been taught and iv read that we own copyright as soon as we've taken the pics

seen my pics posted on forums in different countries and its cool, coz wouldnt expect them to and theres my logo!
Jodi_the_g

17th Feb 05 at 01:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No yor right just checked and it states "regardless of the medium in which they exist and this includes the internet"
Jodi_the_g

17th Feb 05 at 01:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

though i don't think you could do anything as the law states "In many cases, the author will also have the right to be identified on their works and to object if their work is distorted or mutilated."

He has identifed you and not mulitated it anyway unless you count being in redline as this
Ian
Site Administrator

17th Feb 05 at 02:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its your photo which you have to agree to people using it.

Even if you agree to it being used you can still be identified.

Even if you agree to it being used you can still disagree to it being altered.
vibrio
Banned

17th Feb 05 at 09:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by vibrio
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by vibrio
it's either a brush or a layer he's added.

ICY phone up redline and inform them that someone is using one of your pictures. they won;t reprint it. also phone the guy and inform him to stop using your picture or you will seek rightfull compensation.

is it really worth it?

cant the guy turn around and say well you took a picture of my car without permission?

tit for tat

no. he's in public at a public show

and he has copyed the picture from a public site? same thing really.

at the end of the day everyone that has viewed this thread has a copy of that picture in there temp files without even asking for it? you cant turn around and say we have all stole it without asking.

yes you can Nath. using a picture on the web is like taking a picture from a magazine and using it in another mag. totally illegal. also you can't take someones picture and manipulate either that is a breach of copyright as well.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

17th Feb 05 at 09:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He used your photo and kept the copyright logo in, I wouldn't loose any sleep over it.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

17th Feb 05 at 09:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If this issue really bothers you, then do what them pro websites do by publishing them onthe web using a shitty res and have your watermark all over it.

If someone wants the original get them to pay for it, but they would suck ass imho.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » my pic in redline........ 22 database queries in 0.0174501 seconds