corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » network people.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author network people.
Houckham

User status: Offline
16th Feb 05 at 00:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have a question. obviously its rather easy to set up 2 wireless routers in this sort of configuration... (bridged)

but i want the bridge to be secure.

what are my options?

VPN etc...
Houckham

16th Feb 05 at 00:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and as jodi just said "hardwire it"

... its got to be Wireless!
Nismo

16th Feb 05 at 00:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i belive its WEP authentication?

cant remember off the top of my head, there should be an option on the router its self to set authentication or MAC address authentication.
TimS

16th Feb 05 at 00:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A couple of things

Use a wireless base station that provides built-in security, Start by making sure you use a wireless base station, gateway, or router that provides built-in security features. By providing wireless security protocols and a built-in firewall.

Then use Wired Equivalent Protocol (WEP) Wired Equivalent Protocol (WEP) is a wireless security protocol that helps protect your information by using a security setting (called a WEP key) to encode, or encrypt, all network traffic before transmitting it over the airwaves. This helps prevent unauthorized users from accessing the data as it is being transmitted.

or even better use Wi-Fi Protected Access™ (WPA) WPA is a stronger form of wireless security
Like WEP, WPA uses security settings to encrypt and decrypt data that is transmitted over the network.
However, instead of using one static security key for encryption as WEP does, WPA uses Temporal Key Integrity Protocol (TKIP) to dynamically generate a new key for every packet and generate different sets of keys for each computer.

Then other little things like;
Position wireless components away from windows and toward the center of your home to decrease the strength of the radio signal outside your intended coverage area.

Make sure you follow general security guidelines to protect all parts of your network, not just the wireless segment.
drunkenfool

16th Feb 05 at 07:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

use MAC address blocking if the network isnt too big, and if your routersupports it
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

16th Feb 05 at 07:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Houckham
i have a question. obviously its rather easy to set up 2 wireless routers in this sort of configuration... (bridged)

but i want the bridge to be secure.

what are my options?

VPN etc...

The most obvious solution for security would be a IPSEC tunnel (yeah vpn), it would provide the most security along with filtering by MAC address.

Alot of routers have a bridging function, but its normally just repeating the signal or using WEP isnt brilliant but will do the job I guess

Depends how paranoid you are.
Houckham

16th Feb 05 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers everyone
Melville

16th Feb 05 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what does it need to be secure for they only make kitchens
willay
Premium Member

16th Feb 05 at 14:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

because nobody likes people sniffing their cleartext traffic.
Houckham

16th Feb 05 at 14:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Melville
what does it need to be secure for they only make kitchens

hahahaha

well they do have a legal obligation to keep the data of the clients they keep on their computer systems secure.
Melville

16th Feb 05 at 14:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

perhaps advise them to go back to a manual system then?? Caused me less hassle that way
Ian
Site Administrator

16th Feb 05 at 14:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Turn DHCP off, WEP on, filter by MAC etc.

If you're paranoid, wire it.
Foz

16th Feb 05 at 14:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i pick up next doors wireless connection from my wireless pmsl, quite amusing they dont have a firewall or any protection.
Houckham

16th Feb 05 at 14:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dan B

16th Feb 05 at 18:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay

...or using WEP isnt brilliant but will do the job I guess

Just checking, but how more secure would you want wireless encryption to be, with a WEP-key that has 13,471,428,653,161,560,586,981,973,426,176 possible combinations? For anyone who doesn't know, 128-bit WEP uses a 26-character key with 22 possibilities for each character.

Assuming a single computer could "brute-force" attempt 100 keys per second, you're still looking at a potential maximum of 4,271,762,003,158,790,140,468 years to break through it. Feel like waiting that long?

[Edited on 16-02-2005 by Dan B]
John

16th Feb 05 at 19:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dan B
quote:

Just checking, but how more secure would you want wireless encryption to be, with a WEP-key that has 13,471,428,653,161,560,586,981,973,426,176 possible combinations? For anyone who doesn't know, 128-bit WEP uses a 26-character key with 22 possibilities for each character.

Assuming a single computer could "brute-force" attempt 100 keys per second, you're still looking at a potential maximum of 4,271,762,003,158,790,140,468 years to break through it. Feel like waiting that long?

Thats not quite as hard as it really is now is it. All you need is a program, ehich is easily obtainable. Apart from breaking the 40 bit keys progs don't use dictionary attacks. They use FMS attacks.
Dom

16th Feb 05 at 19:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh, you would use a big array of servers going at it and marking combinations of a list so not to duplicate etc...tbh i bet you could get it down to a month or so....
Ian
Site Administrator

16th Feb 05 at 20:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This place sells kitchens and the data is valuable enough to spend a month analysing it?

You'd need to be sat there nearly as long to get enough data to FMS it...
Houckham

17th Feb 05 at 04:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
This place sells kitchens and the data is valuable enough to spend a month analysing it?

yeah i just dont want anyone using their internet connection and getting hold of their files... obvisouly the genious hackers among us will have no problem. lol

i just wanna keep mr joe bloggs out!
willay
Premium Member

17th Feb 05 at 07:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dan B
quote:

Theres enough papers out shownig how weak the WEP encryption is, once you have sniffed enough packets it doesnt take much processing power to crack it.

People that actually sell security solutions would tell you to GTF with WEP no question about it, nothing beats a good solid IPSEC tunnel.

I'm suprise this came from you Dan, you're normally one of the more clued up posters.

So how secure would I want my wireless connection to be? secure enough to keep people out

[Edited on 17-02-2005 by willay]
willay
Premium Member

17th Feb 05 at 07:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Houckham
quote:
Originally posted by Ian

yeah i just dont want anyone using their internet connection and getting hold of their files... obvisouly the genious hackers among us will have no problem. lol

i just wanna keep mr joe bloggs out!

Okay to keep joe bloggs out I'd suggest,

Largest wep key you can take (last time I installed some gear it was 256bit)

Filtering by mac address

Change all default passwords to admin login and change deault SSID's.

That will keep Mr bloggs out.
willay
Premium Member

17th Feb 05 at 07:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cracking wep.

Quick howto from a shell

http://www.burngreave.net/node.php?id=285

AirSnort

http://airsnort.shmoo.com/

WEPcrack

http://wepcrack.sourceforge.net/

Weaknesses in the Key Scheduling Algorithm of RC4

http://www.eyetap.org/~rguerra/toronto2001/rc4_ksaproc.pdf

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » network people. 22 database queries in 0.1051910 seconds