corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Wireless Help

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Wireless Help
Andrew

User status: Offline
10th Feb 05 at 00:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a BT Voyager 2100 wireless routher. Prob is, my Desktop keep saying the page cannot be found every so often. It's not down to signal because i've now got the router next to the PC. However, my laptop works fine. Formated Desktop last night so it's not that.

Can anyone help PIssing me off now Thinking of going back to wired.
Andrew

10th Feb 05 at 01:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Using both BT PCI and Latpop cards supplied with the kit.
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
10th Feb 05 at 01:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does the router ping back ok? Run a

ping -t voyager.home

and watch that for a while (ctrl-c to exit).

If that is OK it may be dropping the connection, how long is it down for? Just that refresh or longer? Laptop is always fine?

PC is connected wirelessly? What is signal strength?
Ian
Site Administrator

10th Feb 05 at 01:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also you assigning addresses via DHCP or manually?
Andrew

10th Feb 05 at 01:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ian, it pings back fine.

Drops sometimes for up to 5 minutes.

Laptop is always fine.

Signal strenth is Very Good on Desktop.

Address are assigned via DHCP.
Jodi_the_g

10th Feb 05 at 01:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right i could help you but, i would have to charge you for a support contact.

or I could do it ad hoc but a 1:20 call out will not be cheap.

Jodi_the_g

10th Feb 05 at 01:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My wirless netowrk does it from time to time, piss me off as its always when I am in a ftp session.

I checked everything and the only thing i can put it down to is for a brief second i lose the singal to my broadband.
Ian
Site Administrator

10th Feb 05 at 01:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm sure if you get an email via your web site then maybe you might have a job on Jodi. In lieu of that, this is a post on Corsa Sport, where advice is free.

Next time it does it run the ping again and check if you still have contact - I assume that its not giving page cannot be displayed error now while its also pinging back OK?

Also when it drops try going to a site on IP, http://194.203.66.54 is here.
MarkW

10th Feb 05 at 01:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sure you'd fix it jodi

Personally i'd hook the router upto the desktop, simply because i always do plus your not gonna carry your desktop around the house so why have it wireless, assign the desktop and laptop manual ip addresses and obviously put in default gateway etc and dns addresses and see how you get on, i'd also flash upgrade the router, and if your still having problems with your desktop i'd suspect its a setting you've put in windows or you been messing about with the router when really there was no need
Andrew

10th Feb 05 at 01:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm putting it down to the signals going off in the wrong direction, i live in a block of 4 flat so it could be interference or it's the PCI card fucked.
Andrew

10th Feb 05 at 01:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
I'm sure if you get an email via your web site then maybe you might have a job on Jodi. In lieu of that, this is a post on Corsa Sport, where advice is free.

Next time it does it run the ping again and check if you still have contact - I assume that its not giving page cannot be displayed error now while its also pinging back OK?

Also when it drops try going to a site on IP, http://194.203.66.54 is here.

What's a site on IP
Jodi_the_g

10th Feb 05 at 01:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

in simple terms all sites are ip, a url is just a mask so it is easier to remember than a sersis of dots and numbers.
Andrew

10th Feb 05 at 01:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MarkW
sure you'd fix it jodi

Personally i'd hook the router upto the desktop, simply because i always do plus your not gonna carry your desktop around the house so why have it wireless, assign the desktop and laptop manual ip addresses and obviously put in default gateway etc and dns addresses and see how you get on, i'd also flash upgrade the router, and if your still having problems with your desktop i'd suspect its a setting you've put in windows or you been messing about with the router when really there was no need

Yes i've had a play with the router but i've reset it back to default. Desktop is in another room to where the main phone socket is so instead of running another wire i thought i go wireless. I LIKE THINGS TIDY
MarkW

10th Feb 05 at 01:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fair enough, well assign both machines manual ip addresses then, gateway and dns, make sure the SSID, region and channel are setup correctly on the router and the assign the same to the wireless cards

though pugnut your doing an IT degree this should be easy?? plus if you suspected it was the pci card screwing up, take it out and run CAT5 cable for a day, if it solves the problem then you know what the problem was - process of elimination
Ian
Site Administrator

10th Feb 05 at 01:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So you're assigning by DHCP while living in a block of flats.

How many active DHCP leases? About 15?

Turn off DHCP for a kick-off, then read about WEP and turn that on!!

Going in on IP is just put the IP in the address bar and go to the site. Means if your connection is OK but DNS is not it'll work and you've diagnosed that its DNS and not the router and PC seeing each other.
Jodi_the_g

10th Feb 05 at 01:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok free advice

When a wireless network fails, you should look at a few key areas first. Several common hardware problems can cause failure, as well as certain configuration issues.

Hardware issues
When only one access point and one wireless client are having connection issues, you know that the client is having trouble attaching to the network.
The problem could also be related to radio interference or a break in the physical link between the wireless access point and the wired network.

To identify what's causing the problem, you should perform a communications test to see whether the access point is responding. Open a Command Prompt window on a PC that's on your wired network and ping your wireless access point’s IP address.

If the wireless client can't ping the access point, the access point could be malfunctioning. Try unplugging the access point to reset it and then plug it in again. Wait about five minutes and then try pinging the access point from both the wireless and the wired clients again.
Jodi_the_g

10th Feb 05 at 01:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

did not read you where in a flat

Try changing channels

Plus cordless digtial phones, microwaves, etc will effect the singal slighty

[Edited on 10-02-2005 by Jodi_the_g]
Andrew

10th Feb 05 at 01:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is how it's set up

lozzd

10th Feb 05 at 01:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Best way to fix this is buy a £2 fucking CAT5 cable.

thats what i did and would never go back.
Dom

10th Feb 05 at 01:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For a start -
#change channels,
#set WEP encryption to the max setting (usually 128bit or higher)
#assign static IPs to your pc and lappy,
#on top of that, i dont know if the BT router supports it but you can usually get it to only allow access to certain MAC addresses - its always a good step to do.

if its still the same mate, take out the pci card and use a normal network cable and see what happens. like said, you desktop isnt going anywhere and you can run the network cable through your floor boards, under carpet etc etc to keep it all tidy

Mine does the same though and the only thing i can think thats causing it is my mobile/portable phone
Andrew

10th Feb 05 at 01:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dom, does your laptop work fine though ???
Dom

10th Feb 05 at 01:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Peugeot Nut
Dom, does your laptop work fine though ???

i dont have a lappy mate, have two desktops running - mine using a USB adaptor and my old mans using a pci card. I have alot more problems than he does (ie: mine usually fecks up atleast twice a day, compared to him that does it about once a week if that).

but eitherway mate, either get WEP turned on or use the MAC address security, otherwise someone is bound to be leeching your connection mate
Andrew

10th Feb 05 at 01:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

CAT5 cable it is then

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Wireless Help 22 database queries in 0.1726310 seconds