corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Plasma Vs LCD

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Plasma Vs LCD
Danny P

User status: Offline
3rd Feb 05 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just done my bedroom out and wanting a new TV.

Thinking of getting one for the wall, is there much difference between LCD and Plasma.

Just looking at the prices and LCD are way cheaper than Plasma, but is it worth saving on the money and compromising on the quality??
Pablo

3rd Feb 05 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

LCD better pic!
Danny P

3rd Feb 05 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So why are they Cheaper??
Mad Moe

3rd Feb 05 at 14:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depend on the size I think large LCDs tend to be just as expensive if not more than Plasmas. But yeah I'd go for an LCD over a Plasma everytime as Paul says much better pic
Dom

3rd Feb 05 at 14:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh, you prolly looking at the cack LCDs - as a decent one will set you back about 2k, like a plasma.
But yes, LCDs can be slightly better than plasmas, although then tend to have a very sharp image which will show up inperfections on films (watch oceans 11 on your pc and you will see what i mean).

however, at the end of the day you pay for what you get, and tbh if your spending under 1500 on a plasma or lcd then your really looking for trouble - especially with anti-aliasing, which is the most common problem you will see on cheap screens.

edit - the only thing that i dont like about LCDs is the bigger the screen (ive only really noticed it in the 30"+) the less the refresh rate is (in milliseconds) and therefore you "ghosting" starts to appear when watching programmes/films etc. But like plasmas, there bringing out new boards and better screens, so give it time and they will almost be like a CRT picture - but you looking at the 6k+ band for anything that has a really impressive picture

[Edited on 03-02-2005 by Dom]
Korsa

3rd Feb 05 at 14:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

42" sony lcd £7999.99 (no extras)

42" sony plasma £2999.99 (free stand, dvd recorder & 3 yr warranty)
Dom

3rd Feb 05 at 14:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Korsa
42" sony lcd £7999.99 (no extras)

42" sony plasma £2999.99 (free stand, dvd recorder & 3 yr warranty)

for starters mate, i wouldnt touch sony...they've lost the plot in manufacturing anything else than CRTs

i would look at the new panasonics, philips and samsungs as they all offer pretty good pictures for around the 2k mark. Obviously if you have 6k odd then pioneer is your only choice
Korsa

3rd Feb 05 at 14:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pioneers are poo m8...

with respect have you seen any of the above sets next to each other.... new wega engine from sony is awsome in the kdep42xs1....
--Dave--
Banned

3rd Feb 05 at 14:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just in case Danny P doesn't know what Anti Aliasing means, it's where colours in jagged lines are added to make the edge seem smooth.

Watch a movie like Ice Age or Toy Story on a cheap LCD and notice how everything looks jagged and sh!t.
Dom

3rd Feb 05 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Korsa
pioneers are poo m8...

with respect have you seen any of the above sets next to each other.... new wega engine from sony is awsome in the kdep42xs1....

pioneer poo
get yourself down to a DECENT audio/av store like seven oaks and go and have a look at there 6k+ plasmas - like the PDP 504HDE and you will not say that there shit.

sony are in the same league as the rest of the plasmas/LCDs that retail for around 1500 quid - but there just alot more mucho because you have the sony badge

as for seeing any of the sets, yes i have seen sony plasmas and lcds, the top end ones (Sony KDLL42MRX1 / KDEP42MRX1) and for the money they offered a similar picture to that of a panasonic or samsung.

They make great CRTs, but they are now cutting corners to produce them as cheaply as many possible sales as the cheaper brans.
Hence why if i had the cash i would buy a pioneer, as there not made for the average joe, but for propper AV/home cinema setups where people spend 10's k - hence why majority of the screens are just that (dont include tuners, speakers just component/BNC inputs)

Dom

3rd Feb 05 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by --Dave--
just in case Danny P doesn't know what Anti Aliasing means, it's where colours in jagged lines are added to make the edge seem smooth.

Watch a movie like Ice Age or Toy Story on a cheap LCD and notice how everything looks jagged and sh!t.

aye, my bro got a panasonic for around 1500 and it suffered from this quite abit - obviously more noticeable on cartoons/ani films. Although we watched starwars and top gun, and the screen offers great colours (ie: black was black and not a fecked dark grey).
Although we were using composite, and we believe that using a component DVD might have dumbed the anti aliasing down abit....but he took back anyways as he wasnt happy with it.
And like i said, a decent plasma that offers a good all round image is around 2k-3k
--Dave--
Banned

3rd Feb 05 at 14:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had this dilemma when choosing a 17" monitor for the PC.

Needed one that gave really good colours and proper blacks/whites like you say.

Went for the Hyundai Q17+. Excellent monitor and great response time.

I'm not sure if it's the same for TVs but Hyundai make the panels for a range of LCD monitors.
Dom

3rd Feb 05 at 14:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by --Dave--
i had this dilemma when choosing a 17" monitor for the PC.

Needed one that gave really good colours and proper blacks/whites like you say.

Went for the Hyundai Q17+. Excellent monitor and great response time.

I'm not sure if it's the same for TVs but Hyundai make the panels for a range of LCD monitors.

quote:

Fujitsu - Hitachi, NEC, Panasonic, Pioneer, Sampo, BenQ Samsung and Lucky Goldstar all have plants ..

Sony makes thier own guts, but uses NEC glass ..

NEC plasma was just bought by Pioneer. Sony may switch to Fujitsu - Hitachi (they use some now but)

Fujitsu - Hitachi is a joint venture plant , also not latest tech. some say ..

Toshiba - Toshiba rebadges Panasonic's screens and internal processing components.

Sharp - While Sharp makes some changes to internal components, their plasma TVs are essential repackaged Pioneers.

Runco - Runco's 50" plasma display comes from Pioneer and its 42" plasma display comes from NEC, though Runco may make some modifications to both displays.

Marantz - NEC is the OEM for Marantz's 42", 50", and 61" plasma monitors.

ViewSonic - The OEM of ViewSonic's 50" plasma screen is Pioneer. The OEM for its 42" plasma screen is more than likely a Hitachi.

Gateway - Gateway's 42" and 50" plasma TVs (both the regular and Ultra Bright models) are re-badged Sampo displays. For the 46" they use BenQ as the OEM.

Philips - Philips uses Fujitsu/ Hitachi glass screen and most internal components as well. However, Philips makes its own bezel with built in speakers.

..."I have never seen a good quality picture on a sony plasma display .. any generation"

..."they also do not make any of thier LCD s' either btw (all from samsung)"

heres abit of info about plasma screens and LCDs
also the bottom bits are from a AV engineer, has installed thousands of screens and would never recommend a sony screen
--Dave--
Banned

3rd Feb 05 at 14:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice one quite helpful that

Tom

3rd Feb 05 at 14:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bout LG

Plasma's are irrepairable once broken aren't they or is that a myth?
Dom

3rd Feb 05 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tom
Bout LG

Plasma's are irrepairable once broken aren't they or is that a myth?

never really looked at LGs - although my bro has bought a few of them in the past for work and doesnt really recommend them much.

however, here are a few good links (on plasmas anyways) -

How long they last
Myths
Burn-in (both lcd and plasma suffer)
Who makes what (another list, more up to date i believe)
Tom

3rd Feb 05 at 15:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice
3CorsaMeal

3rd Feb 05 at 15:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

go for high resolution, plasma normally look a bit naff as they big but so are the pixels
Danny P

3rd Feb 05 at 16:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for the advice fellas, Dom especially.

I aint defo aint got 6K to spend so looks like i might have to settle for a normal TV

Anyways, im away to the Retail park to have a look in Comet etc and see what have to say (going on previous trips in expecting some spotty arsed teenager that doesnt know his arse from his elbow

[Edited on 03-02-2005 by Danny P]
--Dave--
Banned

3rd Feb 05 at 16:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

for the average consumer, your average 32" Sony flatscreen/widescreen will do the trick. £1000 or thereabout
Dom

3rd Feb 05 at 16:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no probs dude

but it all depends on how much you have got to spend If you could stretch to 2 - 2.5k then you can get a decent 42" panasonic/samsung that offers very little problems (in terms of anti aliasing etc), has a decent resolution (around 1000x800 odd etc) and has an excellent picture (ie: colours are decent etc)

go down to about 1200 and a decent 30-36" plasma or a 20-30 " lcd, picture pretty good - although look out for anti aliasing.

800-1000 mark...plasmas for get about it. Lcds, go for something like a 20" screen. picture quality will be accpetable, but dont expect it to be anything like a decent CRT tv etc

less than a 800, well you will be buying something from dixions etc and will get a ok picture (nothing to write home about) and will probably be in the 15-20" size range.

ScottyBrum

3rd Feb 05 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dom i am looking to get a Plasma/LCD TV for my house, i'm just in the process of rewiring it and reboarding the ceilings etc but once all the decoratiing is done and the furniture starts going in i want to go get a Plasma/LCD TV but have been unsure of what to get. I'll have about £1500 to spend so looking at what you have said would u advise a 30"-36" Plasma for the money that i'll be paying out and if so any particular models?? Any advice would be great as i'd like to get the best i can for the money i'm paying out

Cheers
Tiesto

3rd Feb 05 at 18:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well LCD will last longer than a Plasma, but PLasma is cheaper but have to buy near top end to get picture quality same as a good LCD.

Thought about a DLP? its like a Rear Projection TV but with absolute crystal clear picture and amazing size for the price they sell. Problem is its not a wall hangable TV but i havent seen many people mount there plasma/lcd on the wall.
I got my Toshiba 46" DLP for £1500 and gives better picture quality than a 3k plus plasma/lcd. Though you have to put up with vertical viewing but who stands over tele and watches it.

Also Sony are not shoot, they make one of the best Plasmas available obviously not as good at 6k plus pioneer.

And word of advice never buy either from Tiny. Their absolutely awful to say the least, also customer services.

Look around www.empiredirect.co.uk where i got mine.

Though goto audio visual places first, and get them to actually put a DVD player straight into TV and see whether its suits you.
Also when buying try find some with a HDMI connection and High-Def Ready if you plan on keeping TV a long time as SKy will be using HDMI & DVI connections in 2006 when Hi-Def is released, though HDMI connection is the best to have, basically a scart plug but carries Hi-def material and amazing picture quality.

Though id choose a Plasma outta the two, unless LCD drops in price.

[Edited on 03-02-2005 by Corsa_1.0]
ScottyBrum

3rd Feb 05 at 18:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ah mate thanx for the advice but i want one that is wall mountable, decided thats what i want to do, so although u havent seen many with Plasmas/LCD's wall mounted - i'm a tricky customers who wants to
Dom

3rd Feb 05 at 19:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ScottyBrum
Dom i am looking to get a Plasma/LCD TV for my house, i'm just in the process of rewiring it and reboarding the ceilings etc but once all the decoratiing is done and the furniture starts going in i want to go get a Plasma/LCD TV but have been unsure of what to get. I'll have about £1500 to spend so looking at what you have said would u advise a 30"-36" Plasma for the money that i'll be paying out and if so any particular models?? Any advice would be great as i'd like to get the best i can for the money i'm paying out

Cheers

tbh, they have only just started to sort out anti-aliasing properly in the last year or so, you going to be pushed to get anything that wont show up sketching lines (mainly on 3D ani, cartoons etc).

however, yea i would recommend a 36" if you have a so so sized room (means you dont have to sit about 8ft away from the screen like you do with 42"s + etc) - something like a samsung are good or a philips i would recommend the panasonic TH42PWD6BX on the fact that it was a excellent picture - but like i said, ani's and 3D graphics didnt do the screen any favours etc etc

Also a few pointers, majority of decent plasmas/lcds dont include speakers so you will need to invest into a decent AV amp and speakers (although like the panasonic you could buy the addon speakers for it, but they were abit shite).
Also, plasmas like the panasonic used cards with the input connectors on - with each card only have ONE connector - ie: a scart card, component card, composite card etc and each one was around the 150 quid mark onto the screen - so make sure you know what connectors you need and always use the best you can on your equipment ie: BNC/component is better than composite/scart - HDMI is better still .
Also, double check if the screen has a tuner onboard if you dont have a digital box etc or want to use analog RF.

hope this all helps mate But like i say, get yourself down to a decent AV shop (i recommend places like seven oaks) and see what you like yourself Also, whilst you have your ceilings down/decorating you could wack in the wires for your plasma, AV amp, speakers etc

corsa_1.0 - there is not enough evidence (not with large screens) that LCDs last longer than plasmas or visa versa. So you cant really say that - although they all usually last a few 100 thousand hrs of usuage. And yes i would recommend that you look into Hi-Def, but it will be another 5yrs or so before its main widely available. And yea, HDMI is the way forward, but theres only a handful of DVD players that support it (around the 300 quid mark up to a few k or so) - and ive yet to see a sky digi box thats supports it.
As for sonys, i believe and so do many professionals that there not the best manufactures of plasmas nor lcds, and there expensive for what they do offer. I do have to admit that yes some of the screens offer a pretty good picture, but for price and features you can get something alot cheaper and offer a near enough similar/better picture

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Plasma Vs LCD 22 database queries in 0.1983399 seconds