corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » linux...

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author linux...
chris_uk
Premium Member

User status: Offline
1st Feb 05 at 12:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

paul, you probably know abit about this

but my brother and my dad have had the good idea of installing linux, aswel as windows xp pro as a dual boot system,

please give me your views on linux as a whole,

cheers.
Antz

1st Feb 05 at 12:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chris_uk

but my brother and my dad have had the good idea of installing linux, aswel as windows xp pro as a dual boot system,

cheers.

If you set it up right, it'll do you no wrong, always best to be used as a server not a desktop... there is so much you can do with it, you just gotta get your head round it... took me a while to get the hang of it, but it was worth it.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

1st Feb 05 at 12:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

linux is a mess, kernel is headed by one guy and the rest of the distros is headed by a mixture of hippies.

I like a system thats controled by one team, this is why I use BSD. http://www.freebsd.org

Linux is for faggots. Ask tim.

[Edited on 01-02-2005 by willay]
chris_uk
Premium Member

1st Feb 05 at 12:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so y have you reverted back to xp then?

not being clever, just wanna know
John

1st Feb 05 at 12:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the original unix code had a comment that said --This is the tricky part
Antz

1st Feb 05 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
so y have you reverted back to xp then?

not being clever, just wanna know

Cos it wasn't practical as a desktop, as I said above... I know XP and I can do stuff in XP in seconds that would take minutes in Linux... it's also good to have a bit of knowledge of other OS', for the CV...
willay
Premium Member

1st Feb 05 at 12:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Antz
quote:

cheers.

If you set it up right, it'll do you no wrong, always best to be used as a server not a desktop... there is so much you can do with it, you just gotta get your head round it... took me a while to get the hang of it, but it was worth it.

Linux has made massive improvements in the desktop arena.
Antz

1st Feb 05 at 12:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay

But it'll never be any real compotition for people like Micro$haft... people just aren't willing to give other OS' any sort of chance... it's mainly always been known as server soft, so it'll probly stay that way for atleast 2 more generations.
willay
Premium Member

1st Feb 05 at 12:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

But it'll never be any real compotition for people like Micro$haft... people just aren't willing to give other OS' any sort of chance... it's mainly always been known as server soft, so it'll probly stay that way for atleast 2 more generations.

It is real competition, I have a feeling you don't have a clue what you are blabbing on about.
chris_uk
Premium Member

1st Feb 05 at 12:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Antz

1st Feb 05 at 12:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it's not real competition at all... Microsoft Windows is alot better for home users, Linux is better for business use... there are a hell of alot more home users that are using MSWindows and are not planning on changing systems... it will take at least 20 years before Linux takes off as a real desktop operating system
willay
Premium Member

1st Feb 05 at 12:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So you are saying,

Microsoft Windows is better for home users..
Linux is better for business use...
Majority of Windows users are not planning on chaning over to something else
Its going to take 20 years before linux takes off as areal desktop operating system

Please present some actual facts to back up your points

willay
Premium Member

1st Feb 05 at 12:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Theres alot of decent distrobutions of linux aimed at the desktop.

SuSe
Redhat (now known as fedora)
Mandrake

All pretty decent and do alot of the setup for you.
Antz

1st Feb 05 at 12:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Please present some actual facts to back up your points

Windows is so easy you don't have to understand it... give it to older people and they aren't affraid of it... give it to younger people they're only bothered about games (Which probly wont run in Linux)

What's the point of learning to use Linux when you can just ask a friend how to use windows.

IMO one of the main reasons why people use Linux is cos the company has paid for training and they know how to use it.

Windows will ALWAYS come out on top of Linux, FACT.
Nismo

1st Feb 05 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use putty its squishy.
willay
Premium Member

1st Feb 05 at 13:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Windows is so easy you don't have to understand it... give it to older people and they aren't affraid of it... give it to younger people they're only bothered about games (Which probly wont run in Linux)

Thats because we have Windows in the majority of our schools and everyone and their dog has used it, could be the other way round if Linux was on them boxes.

quote:
What's the point of learning to use Linux when you can just ask a friend how to use windows.

Because some of us find computers fun and like learning new things about them plus can benefit a job. I taught myself how to get around Linux/FreeBSD and its done wonders for me when I got a job, you don't find alot of people with Linux/Unix experience who havent been to uni. Unix experience is always welcome and can cen make a very big difference in salary compared to a job where you are surrounded in a Windows enviroment.

quote:
IMO one of the main reasons why people use Linux is cos the company has paid for training and they know how to use it.

No, the main reasons is because its a wicked stable enviroment to develop on, its free, and you can look at the source code and make your own enhancements

quote:
Windows will ALWAYS come out on top of Linux, FACT.

For now yes, but only time can tell.

Again it sounds like you are an A-typical clueless fool.

[Edited on 01-02-2005 by willay]
Swiftie

1st Feb 05 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was actually going to comment. But looks like Willay is doing so already
Antz

1st Feb 05 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Willay, I know exactly where you are coming from... I'm not takin Bill Gates' side in this argument, cos I agree that Linux is better, I'm simply looking at a more wider picture than people like us who like to learn, I learned linux just for fun, now we have a few linux boxes at work that only I can deal with cos no one else will learn it.

As for me been a clueless fool, I knowe wnough to get by in life, I also know enough to make enough money to live... put it this way, I knew more about computers when I was 14 than most know when they are in there 20's, this was due to my willingness to learn... and out of everyone in my year at school I probly am one of the perople that got the best job

(Cue Chris's smart arse comments about my school life)
willay
Premium Member

1st Feb 05 at 13:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the front page of http://www.willay.net says it all.
Antz

1st Feb 05 at 13:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

actually I spelt Microshaft with a dollar sign... and if you'll look in to that more deeply, you'll find that it was Linux developers that started putting the $ in Microsoft.
willay
Premium Member

1st Feb 05 at 13:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
actually I spelt Microshaft with a dollar sign... and if you'll look in to that more deeply, you'll find that it was Linux developers that started putting the $ in Microsoft.

more deeply? please present this information to me
willay
Premium Member

1st Feb 05 at 13:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

more to the point, so what if linux developers started putting a dollar sign into microsoft?
chris_uk
Premium Member

1st Feb 05 at 13:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh who gives a shit..
willay
Premium Member

1st Feb 05 at 13:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you asked for the views on linux
chris_uk
Premium Member

1st Feb 05 at 14:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i know..

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » linux... 22 database queries in 0.2049251 seconds