corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Rear disc conversions

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Rear disc conversions
Gez G

User status: Offline
18th Jan 05 at 23:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good idea or bad?

Heard mixed reports, some people say they are great, others say that they make the back end very twitchy and with tendancies to try and overtake the front under harsh braking.

Anyone had one done, what do they think?

If I am to do one, what will I need?
SteveW

18th Jan 05 at 23:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont know much about tech side of things, or even what it takes ??

but i have them on the ThunderCorsa and everything feels fine, even when i had to slam the anchors on to avoid a smash the other month
bradfincham

18th Jan 05 at 23:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as long as u dont go massive on size and get them setup correctly your fine, i prefer 80% braking on the front!
timrud_

19th Jan 05 at 08:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A car with little or no weight in the back (i.e. stripped out) would be twitchy.

But what other choice is there? I melted a set of drums in 3 months!
lee mitchell

19th Jan 05 at 08:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

check my sig
Siberia

19th Jan 05 at 09:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i read somewere that you can buy different step down fittings that dont let so much fluid into the rear....

i must do this mod myself i just have to find an astra rear beam...

[Edited on 19-01-2005 by Siberia]
Tim
Site Administrator

19th Jan 05 at 09:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

With the appropriate biassing it'll be fine (and much less fade when the rear gets hot)...

If you wanted it setup properly there's lots of companies who will do the appropriate weighing etc and setup the bias for you -- some trackdays they do reduced price consultations...
Steve
Premium Member

19th Jan 05 at 09:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you dont need rear disks unless your running a LET, possibly an XE deffo nothing less
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

19th Jan 05 at 09:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mtec reccomends rear brakes on anything past 170bhp I beleve, so I'd agree with Steve.

Don't see why it would be a bad thing to have rear discs with an XE..
Tim
Site Administrator

19th Jan 05 at 09:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Steve I don't understand this whole argument people have that braking is related to the power of the car... It's possible true on a trackday as you'd never be able to get upto the same speeds, but on the road, I personally think that you can never stop quickly enough...

...suppose it more boils down to whether you want to spend all that money on braking when it's a not a particularly quick car.
Siberia

19th Jan 05 at 09:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if i was doing it 40% would be for the braking difference 60% would be for looks.... Sad i know but blow me

i also dont really need 288mm front brakes but i have them
Steve
Premium Member

19th Jan 05 at 09:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tim
Steve I don't understand this whole argument people have that braking is related to the power of the car... It's possible true on a trackday as you'd never be able to get upto the same speeds, but on the road, I personally think that you can never stop quickly enough...

...suppose it more boils down to whether you want to spend all that money on braking when it's a not a particularly quick car.

for the exact reason vaux didnt make all the corsa models with rear brakes, they arent needed, and on lesser engined models will lock up all to easily under heavy braking, you are forgetting the whole concept of efficient braking, its about as coming to a halt as quick as possible without locking up, i used to be able to lock all four wheels instantly on my old corsa that had rear drums so they were quite adequate for the needs of the vehicle, having rear disks would not have given it anything extra.

Just unecessary cost

[Edited on 19-01-2005 by Steve]
timrud_

19th Jan 05 at 10:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry Steve, I'm with Tim.

Vauxhall didn't put them on as they were an unessesary cost. Yes. BUT That doesn't mean they are not needed and won't bring about an improvement?

My 1.2 Clio doesn't have an airbag, does that mean it doesn't have enough power to crash?

Saxo VTR's come with them as standard, so all this "170bhp and beyond" talk is rubbish...

And I run 300bhp and havent got them LOL (Yet )
Tim
Site Administrator

19th Jan 05 at 10:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not saying get rear discs for harder braking power at the back... I'm only saying they're better due to fade problems when you use drums extensively (i.e. timrud driving style or a track-day)...

Rear discs, properly setup, would be nice -- plus they do look better
Steve
Premium Member

19th Jan 05 at 10:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by timrud_
Sorry Steve, I'm with Tim.

Vauxhall didn't put them on as they were an unessesary cost. Yes. BUT That doesn't mean they are not needed and won't bring about an improvement?

My 1.2 Clio doesn't have an airbag, does that mean it doesn't have enough power to crash?

Saxo VTR's come with them as standard, so all this "170bhp and beyond" talk is rubbish...

And I run 300bhp and havent got them LOL (Yet )

sorry tim there is no need for fucking rear disks in a 1.2 corsa, they wont bring about an improvement in a car without enough weight or power is downright fucking dangerous
Tim
Site Administrator

19th Jan 05 at 10:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What has weight got to do with it? Kindnesses XE probably weights less than this 1.2

Like I said, people that say the rear end is twitchy is because it's probably just bolted on... If you get it PROPERLY SETUP then rear discs will give better performance and safety. Vauxhall were just cheap skates when they built.
timrud_

19th Jan 05 at 10:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the back end is super stripped out, and the fronts are really sharp, thats when the problems can start.

But you can never have too much safety on a car! Properly setup they cannot be detramental to performance, so why not have them?
boyracer2002

19th Jan 05 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got them on mine and i cant tell i have them got em for looks more than andthing else, spose i got the weight of the install in there but still

[Edited on 19-01-2005 by boyracer2002]
timrud_

19th Jan 05 at 10:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

SO you can deffo tell a difference? What fronts you got?

I'm having mine done soon...
boyracer2002

19th Jan 05 at 10:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry tim i meant i cant tell the diff

fronts i have are 308mm v6
timrud_

19th Jan 05 at 10:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doh! LOL
Tim
Site Administrator

19th Jan 05 at 11:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was just of the opinion that it's not about major braking enhancement (as fronts do most the work), but more to do with fade -- few fast stops on standard drums and they won't be predictable...

I was advised not to worry about rear discs until I wanted to go on a track, but that doesn't stop my argument that there isn't a key 'bhp limit' when you do or do not need rear discs...
bradfincham

19th Jan 05 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tim and tim im with you here!
rear discs will help on whatever car ypu put them on, providing they are set up right.
Im going to be putting my 2ltr ones on the back soon.
Steve
Premium Member

19th Jan 05 at 12:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no you are wrong, on a car that does not require rear disks, even IF they are set up correctly they will offer you no more.

Im mean how much fucking fade are you gonna get stopping from 80mph in a 1.2
Steve
Premium Member

19th Jan 05 at 12:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

on a track different story though, as you are constantly on the brakes

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Rear disc conversions 22 database queries in 0.0998602 seconds